myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Rookie Foiling Question
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pmlct

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2017 11:14 pm    Post subject: Rookie Foiling Question Reply with quote

I just failed miserably at my first foiling session. I'm using a 66 wide windsurf board (not a foiling board) with no footstraps or harness and the Slingshot foil system. Slogging and accelerating into what I would call half foiling is great-the board unweights, accelerates a little but stays on the water. What happens next if speed picks up any more is the problem. The board picks up out of the water and just flops over on its side to windward, causing some pretty good wipeouts. It all happens so quickly that it is hard to analyze. I read that I should apply more back foot toe pressure but haven't tried it yet. I had the mast foot back and will next time try it forward which I think will slow down the foiling action. Is this a typical first time result or can anyone with experience point anything out to me. Thanks in advance.

Last edited by pmlct on Sun Jul 02, 2017 8:26 am; edited 1 time in total
grantmac017

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2017 1:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Need a wider board, 80cm about minimum for a beginner. +90cm would be even better.

Having front straps helps a lot as well.
joethewindsufa

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2017 5:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

and what about fin box - or extra stability in that area ??
pmlct

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2017 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I edited my first post to include that the board flops to windward.

Regarding board width am I standing on the centerline or out on the rails? Is it the footstraps that keep the board level compared to just standing and sinking the rail? Thanks
hilton08

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2017 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That sounds pretty normal for the first session.
Very short flights resulting in a crash.
It will get easier on the second session as you learn to control the lift from the foil. If you are powered, Think about starting to sheet out as you begin to lift on to the foil.
In regular windsurfing you need to keep the power on to maintain a plane.
In foiling you need less power once you get on the foil so it is good to be slightly underpowered. If it takes a few pumps to get on the foil then you won't be so overpowered once you are foiling.
I would also suggest using the front straps. And try to get your foot in the strap before you are on the foil (at the half foiling stage) so you don't have to move your feet much once you are foiling.
dllee

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2017 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Balance, track position vs your feet position.
No doubt, wider board gives more stability, which allows a slower transition from planing to foiling, allowing you to get your weight out on the rails.
But you have what you have, and it can work with a bit of tuning.
Set your footstraps most forward, but we don't know what kind of board you're using, so fronts inboard on the flatter board of the board. Being out on the rail is OK as long as the deck of the board is flat enough for you to apply heel pressure downward, unlike a slalom board. When you foil, you are standing up, not out, and pushing down mostly, in slightly.
Pump while out of straps for normal windsurf boards, but get quickly into the front straps while only planing, then get into the rear straps on a fast plane, stay in both straps for a while, then slowly shift weight to rear foot and slowly bring the foil up, barely clear the board, and don't go higher. Control height before trying to go full up foil.
Narrower boards are harder, so take longer to learn to foil. Your pumping technique needs to be more precise on narrower boards.
LUCARO

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2017 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have an older starboard go. The 180. I think it is about 100cm wide and had a deep tuttle box.

http://u-ride.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=51&t=7111

Any idea on its value as a foil board?
grantmac017

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2017 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The weight will make it slow to foil and I don't think the fin box connects all the way up to the deck so it may break depending on which foil you use.
swchandler

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2017 4:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"I don't think the fin box connects all the way up to the deck..."

You might want to review the link again that LUCARO posted. It clearly shows a Tuttle-based fin laying on the bottom of the board.
grantmac017

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2017 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

swchandler wrote:
"I don't think the fin box connects all the way up to the deck..."

You might want to review the link again that LUCARO posted. It clearly shows a Tuttle-based fin laying on the bottom of the board.

I know it's deep tuttle. My post was referring to how the box is anchored to the board. It uses countersunk fin bolts so there is a gap between the top of the box and the deck, boards built like this have been reported to tear the boxes out frequently. Especially a heavy one like the Go.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: