myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Exocet windsup 11'8?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
markwk

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2017 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I own two exocet 11'8" windSUPs, one in AST (wife's board) and one in
Bamboo. The Bamboo is IMO the one to get. We use them 90% of the
time in central NC inland lake conditions (5-12 mph). They are also well behaved at the coast with small sails in high winds.

Recently I had to sail far downwind to retrieve a Hifly 122L board which had gotten away from someone (who shall remain unamed Smile ) when the rig detached in 25-30+ mph wind. As always in these rescue situations the 11'8" is the go-to solution. A Retro 4.0 on the 11'8" was surprisingly controllable and actually fun on the downwind leg. Going back upwind towing a shortboard behind is always a struggle but doable. Of course the board is slow compared to our shortboards in those conditions, but the versatility is supreme.

In the becalmed inland summer we find the boards quite pleasant to paddle.

In short, to the original poster, I'd suggest he sell the GO, buy the 11'8", and save up for a lighter, higher performing 105L to 130L wide-ish shortboard for a two board quiver that will suffice for 10-20+ mph conditions.

But most importantly (IMHO): learn to beachstart and waterstart!!! Put all your energy into learning this vital skill, which will unlock your access to smaller boards and higher winds. And invest in an easy-uphaul for those 7.5 and larger sails.
d0uglass

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2017 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the 11'8 WindSUP in AST construction. If I was rich I would get it in the lighter weight bamboo construction, but even in the AST construction it's probably the best and most versatile board I have ever owned.

*You can use it as a SUP for flatwater touring or for wave riding.
*Works great as a beginner board because it has good stability, good non-planing glide, and good upwind ability with the daggerboard.
*Works great in light winds because the length and moderate width cut through the water well in non-planing mode, and the step tail design allows it to transition smoothly to planing mode as the wind picks up.
*More pleasurable to sail in non-planing mode than a short and wide board like the GO.
*Planes pretty early without requiring any special footwork or pumping, so it's forgiving for people just learning harness and footstraps and stuff.
*Goes fast, and can handle rough water pretty well.
*Planes comfortably with a huge range of sail sizes, 5.5 - 9.5 no problem, maybe even beyond that range.
*Maneuvers well, especially with a smaller fin, and can be used for wave sailing.

https://vimeo.com/51357823
https://vimeo.com/141053681

qwertyjjj

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2017 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I understand correctly, to get planing on a 161, I need a 8-10m sail in my average winds of 10-12kts.
Edit: I should add these are the wind speeds when I go windsurfing. The average winds speed in the lake area is much less maybe 7 or 8 kts.
But the go might schlogg around in that. So to fill a light wind gap, the exocet might work bit also needs the same sail sizes to get planing.
Planing-wise I'm no better off with either?
Light wind though and more time on the water, more range, more upwind then the exocet.
Exocet better in gusts, go better in constant winds.

People do not spend a lot on or sell modern used longboards/sup boards around here often the market is very slow.
swchandler

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2017 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let's get real, you will never plane up in 7-8kts, no matter what you've got for a sail. That's the unvarnished truth. If you want to be planing, you've got to look for a new locale.
d0uglass

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2017 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Planing-wise there won't be much difference, but the 11'8 will glide around better in sub planing winds, making the overall experience of going out on the lake and fishing for wind more enjoyable.

For an expert with good pumping skills, the shorter wider GO might plane a little earlier, but for a non expert the 11'8 is going to plane earlier because it glides up onto a plane without any special finesse required.

acalhounguy

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2017 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have an Exocet windsup 11'8". It's a good board but I basically never use it, because I think sub-planing windsurfing is boring and if I can plane I'd rather be on a lighter more responsive short board. If you want a sup or a cruiser for sub-planing it's fine, and like Doug says it planes easily. It is kind of expensive and it is heavy, I wonder if a new inflatable windsup would be more practical.

In any case, you shouldn't buy any board right now. You should rig your biggest sail which you will uphaul LESS because you will actually be able to balance against the sail in lighter wind, plus you might plane as the wind comes up - take this advice in light wind first obviously. Again, go for your 8M or whatever, you'll be wanting a 9.5 before you know it. Also, I haven't used a Go with the center fin but I'd be inclined to as a beginner in sub-planing conditions. The sooner you get to planing the less you'll care about sub-planing performance.

Surely the 11'8" should be a gem on the ocean but a little dull after awhile on the lake.
joethewindsufa

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2017 4:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

@ qwerty:
since you are from Montreal ...
on kijiji recently there was a Mistral Equipe I for not much money
and BIC Dufours often sell for $100
http://www.kijiji.ca/v-passe-temps-bricolage/saguenay/planche-a-voile/1278534923?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true
i put an 8.5 on one and have fun on a small lake regularily Smile
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uFZXtDSuq4I
qwertyjjj

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2017 5:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

swchandler wrote:
Let's get real, you will never plane up in 7-8kts, no matter what you've got for a sail. That's the unvarnished truth. If you want to be planing, you've got to look for a new locale.

I don't usually go out unless it's 10kts gusts of 15-20
qwertyjjj

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2017 6:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

acalhounguy wrote:

Surely the 11'8" should be a gem on the ocean but a little dull after awhile on the lake.

The lake is about 5km across by 7km long.
Enough to get some smaller waves.
Nothing like on the ocean of course.
qwertyjjj

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2017 6:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

joethewindsufa wrote:
@ qwerty:
since you are from Montreal ...
on kijiji recently there was a Mistral Equipe I for not much money
and BIC Dufours often sell for $100
http://www.kijiji.ca/v-passe-temps-bricolage/saguenay/planche-a-voile/1278534923?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true
i put an 8.5 on one and have fun on a small lake regularily Smile
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uFZXtDSuq4I

I'm sure they sail well in light wind but that's a real 80s style.
They have a lot of displacement/hull below the water?
As you know with the older longboards in worried about width at my level.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: