myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
gybing in stronger wind sail steering
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
qwertyjjj

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2017 8:52 pm    Post subject: gybing in stronger wind sail steering Reply with quote

As you may have seen from my other threads, I'm a beginner.
I was learning gybing at the weekend.
Everything was going fine in light winds.
At my level I end up with both feet together towards the back of the board in the middle of the gybe. I know some people advocate not doing tat and just using a twist but I can get away with it for now on a wider board.

The wind then picked up and I was unable to complete the gybes.
The board would get to around 5 o'clock (started on a 3o'clock beam reach) and then just stop turning. I was not using the rail to turn just the sail.
Then I would end up falling one way or the other.
Any ideas what this could be? Possibly I'm not leaning far enough back so the mast was too upright and therefore leaning the mast to windward wasn't having an effect?
techno900

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2017 8:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The amount of dialogue to describe jibing (either a long board or short board) will be exhausting for all. The technique needed for a longboard
(sub-planning) in light winds is a little different than moderate winds and VERY different when the board is planning. Dagger boards can play a major role if you have one.

I suggest you go to youtube and search for longboard jibing instructional videos. A picture/video is worth a 1000 words.

The progression to competent jibing on any board takes time and commitment.
Darbonne

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2017 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found this video useful when I was learning.

https://youtu.be/jHhiaW9Iwc4
qwertyjjj

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2017 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

techno900 wrote:
The amount of dialogue to describe jibing (either a long board or short board) will be exhausting for all. The technique needed for a longboard
(sub-planning) in light winds is a little different than moderate winds and VERY different when the board is planning. Dagger boards can play a major role if you have one.

I suggest you go to youtube and search for longboard jibing instructional videos. A picture/video is worth a 1000 words.

The progression to competent jibing on any board takes time and commitment.

Just wondering if it was a common mistake in stronger wind. Initiating the turn bit not completing due to the mast being too straight... whether it should be tilted aft more.
coachg

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2017 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are talking about a non-planing pivot jibe then yes, the mast will be tilted aft because the windier it is the farther back you step on the tail & the more you lean into the wind.

Coachg
alap

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2017 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

google youtube Peter Hart's gybing vid (light air pivot jybe).

for your particular Q: to begin with - all weight on tail, lifts the nose, allows pivot on the tail, very fast rotation

mast: incline it to windward in the beginning, and keep inclining more as you turn. to counterbalance the rig weight - incline your body inside. When pointing downwind - rig inclined outside, boom is more vertical than the mast, mast pointing perpendicular to the centerline at all times, means it is pointing perpendicular to the wind. Body inclined perpendicular to centerline in other direction. This is the moment to start the flip - step forward on the board, dropping the nose, stopping fast rotation, bring mast vertical and then the usual throw the clew forward, yank the mast with boomshaka.

If you do not load the tail the boards turns very slowly. If on top of that you dont incline the mast outside, the center of air pressure on your sail is above the center line - there are no forces that will turn your board at 6 o'clock. You want the wind to push your sail from behind and in order to turn it it has to be outside your centerline. Also if at that point your feet are close to mastfoot this doesn't help it either. If your back foot is back you can scissor the board - pushing with this back foot outside and pushing with mast foot inside (because your rig is tilted outside it is naturally pushes your mastbase inside ) - you have a classical two forces applied to your board in opposite direction - the further away they are applied, the better.

In case you do nothing of that there are no forces to turn it

Also, feet are always are on centerline only, no matter how wide your board is. Unless you think it is better to learn the wrong way and deal with bad habits later on a narrower board Smile
techno900

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2017 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

qwertyjjj,

Give us a quick description of what you do and where you are in your progression. A rope jibe? (sail luffing while holding the uphaul). Power in the sail, leaning the mast/sail to the side to turn the board? Trying to pivot jibe as described alap?
qwertyjjj

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2017 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

techno900 wrote:
qwertyjjj,

Give us a quick description of what you do and where you are in your progression. A rope jibe? (sail luffing while holding the uphaul). Power in the sail, leaning the mast/sail to the side to turn the board? Trying to pivot jibe as described alap?

Sail steering, clew first halfway through and after gybes.
Sheet in with back hand, lean sail forward to intiate, lean back as wind pressure gets stringer on sail, bend down, then sort of lean mast outwards to continue turn, the flip part I find happens easily after all that is done correctly.
NOVAAN

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2017 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is impossible to give advice with out seeing what you are doing. Ask someone at you spot. Most windsurfers are very helpful...
lturkevich

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2017 9:05 am    Post subject: ABK, ABK, ABK Reply with quote

Take an ABK Clinic. Trust me.

https://abkboardsports.com/
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: