myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Windsurfers Harassing Whales at Crissy?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gerritt

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2017 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

zirtaeb wrote:
There is no glory in passing a kiter.

I'm not looking for glory. Just fun.
U2U2U2

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2017 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gerritt wrote:
So there I was back at Crissy on Father's Day after perhaps 5 years of absence. It takes me longer to drive to Crissy than to the coast despite the distance being half as much. It was hot. It was Sunday. It (and Treasure) were the only spots blowing. So off I went.

Finding a way into the lot was a challenge with all the beach goers trying to beat the heat. Walking to the water with gear on my head was similar. Bobbing out at the sandbar past the kids on a 4.5 and 96 liters was concerning. I didn't want to drop the rig on some kid's head.

Out in the middle, I pumped onto a plane and worked up to the North Tower. Tankers, speedboats, Ferrys, Kites, Foilers, killer views, keeping cool and enjoying the view. The hassle factor slips away. Life is indeed good.

On one run, I'm speeding in down-swell toward the Presideo and focusing on overtaking a kite. Hey its Crissy, so you race. I notice a ferry boat full of tourists just downwind, waving, shouting, taking pictures. I think a kite and a windsurfer are really not that exciting - unless you are from Kansas.

Suddenly, three massive tentacles surface directly in front of me and the kite. I very quickly jibe and look back. I realize its not a sea creature, but thee whales. The kiter has opted to abandon his board and is dangling over the whales, landing just downwind of them. His board remains above them. The tourists shout. Perhaps they think we were harassing the whales. I think the whales should be more careful!

They messed up my line! - and I was about to pass that kiter!

Reminds me of the session in California , sorry but Kansas has some things that Cally will never have have again. And I live in Colorado.
Interestingly. Post none the less, I think you have not sailed in Kansas..Wilson Lake just 1 venue..

No whales .. sorry

http://www.k4fins.com/fins.html
http://4boards.co.uk/
jpf18

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2017 12:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Windsurfers Harassing Whales at Crissy? Reply with quote

fxop wrote:
In a video shown on the local NBC station

Where's Stanley Roberts when you need him. /sarc
Dana King was the last decent journalist out here until she quit a few years back.

NBC has got to be the worst. Just to illustrate the point, anchor Raj a few years ago in all seriousness did a pool side interview with a couple of Pina Colada sipping bros who had made a few millions domain hoarding. That's what goes for "tech news" with these people.

Be mindful everybody though they drive opinion. Viewers don't know any better. How to explain to the layperson that at our angle to the water we have zero visibility of what's under the surface. All the while there's no shortage of bureaucrats to find to survey overhead videos who might be looking for opportunities to bolster their resumes, especially these days around.
jse

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2017 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

While I tend to agree with the consensus, I do feel that lurking around whales and taking selfies to post on youtube is somewhat like the tourists I used to see in Yosemite positioning their spouse in between them an a bear, clapping their hands and yelling to get them to look up for a photo. (Maybe there was a reason for that, hmmm...)

Just observe and move on.

Steve
Riptide

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2017 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good day,

I'm reaching out to your organization to help ensure a safe experience on the water for boardsports and boating enthusiasts, and for the whales that are currently feeding in San Francisco Bay and nearshore coastal waters.

NOAA's Greater Farallones National Marine Sanctuary is concerned about recent incidents that may threaten some our wildlife that are entering San Francisco Bay and adjacent waters.

The local population of humpback whales usually feed in our marine sanctuary waters just beyond the Golden Gate. However, as you may know from the intensive media coverage this phenomenon generated this year and in 2016, the whales are now regularly following anchovies into the narrow bay entrance and the bay itself.

Over the past several weeks there have been a number of documented whale-strikes by small craft and boarders entering areas where these whales are known to be feeding. These are wild animals weighing nearly 80,000 lbs. but are still vulnerable. While here, they are focused heavily on foraging before their lengthy fall migration and several months' fast. Their swimming and surfacing patterns are completely unpredictable. This places anyone who enters the 300-foot perimeter that NOAA recommends in a dangerous position; the whales are in danger, too. If a whale becomes startled or veers suddenly, people can be seriously injured, and anyone near them, or trying to rescue them, could be struck. The whale itself could be lacerated and injured by keel, board or hull impacts, or entangled in lines, or forced into the path of a ship.

Earlier this week a seasoned whale rescuer on the east coast died when a young whale, panicked and trying to escape, struck him with its fluke. We don't want to see that tragedy happen ever again. As a member of NOAA's Large Whale Disentanglement Network, I know that rescue operations never permit actual entry into the water; so it would appear he may have been on a small boat at the time.

NOAA Fisheries is responsible for protecting marine mammals, and I am attaching their "Don't Give Chase - Give Whales Space" flyer. Please share this with your membership and others in the water sport community. A mention of what to do if you have a whale encounter would be a useful addition to a website Q&A page and any other outreach your association provides.

I hope you'll join us in promoting a saner, safer and more environmentally responsible approach to recreation around all forms of marine wildlife. If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact me.

Sincerely,

Mary Jane Schramm
GFNMS Media/Public Outreach

Capture.PNG
 Description:
 Filesize:  299.3 KB
 Viewed:  13154 Time(s)

Capture.PNG

rigatoni

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2017 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

zzzzzzzz.........
dllee

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2017 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, and that's why we need Greenpeace, Sierra Club, and all those earth health orgainizations, besides lots of Park Ranger's, Coast Guard, and Harbor Patrols.
rigatoni

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2017 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

More rules, patrols, do gooders, and most importantly people who claim moral and intellectual superiority. How much time and energy went into this missive (including the nice graphic) to tell us all to stay 100 yards away from whales who are unpredictable? What about all the close calls with other wildlife including seals, birds, and fish I've had at Crissy over the last couple of decades.

Be careful with this train of thought as it will ultimately lead to self righteous people calling for a ban on water sports during whale migration season. While we are at it, why not a ban on all commercial traffic or at the very least demand that they stay 100 yards away from the whales.

Be smart. Be thoughtful. Try to stay away from the whales as well as the moral outrage.
dllee

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2017 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Isn't that akin to playing both sides against the middle?
fxop

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Given that Crissy is essentially a giant stadium with lots of eyes, shouldn't at least the downwind guys give way if they see a pod? The typical guy on a 90L B&J board can't do too much if he's upwind, but the downwind guys could make an obvious effort. In the video nobody even tried, and the downwind guys even seemed to slow down to take in the view, all understandable, but looks bad when the whales are "surrounded" briefly.

fxop
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: