myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Demo boards
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
qwertyjjj

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kmf wrote:
Well, to point out the obvious....it is not the end of the season. It is smack in the high season for windsurfing, at least here in the PNW. This is when shops make their money........

Getting 50% off of a 2017 board is not in the cards for a couple of months anyway.

KMF

It might even be a 2016 board given it has cosmetic damage. Unless it got that from only a few outings beginning of this year.
U2U2U2

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2017 8:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

zirtaeb wrote:
When I was learning to windsurf in 1984, my roomate who weighed 275 lbs got interested also, and bought himself a Marker 1. Within 2 months, we made a trip down to Punta Abreojos. It's a wave sailing spot with at least 4 right point breaks that work in various wind directions. He was riding waves with that 205 liter learning board from the very beginning. He listen when we told him to retract the dagger when riding waves, and to use the dagger when slogging out. No problems in shoulder high waves, a little problem when the waves got a couple feet overhead.
The day after we came back, he bought a Seatrend 9'5", 133 liter board for his allaround board, sold his 205 liter board, and took one of my spare 9'4", 123 liter boards for his high wind board.
Being heavy weight is no excuse for never getting good, or slow learning. YOU learn slow, make bad choices. It's not the companies fault, they always offered big gear for big rider's.
Even the newest 2017 wave boards, the bigger boards have much less rocker and DO NOT work nearly as well as the smaller boards while riding waves.
Matt Pritchard still spends the most time riding 85 liter wave boards, even if it's a full on sinker, because that's the size that fits the wave face, even for his 205 lbs weight.

Matts weight is 175.

http://www.k4fins.com/fins.html
http://4boards.co.uk/
boardsurfr

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2017 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

U2U2U2 wrote:
zirtaeb wrote:
Matt Pritchard still spends the most time riding 85 liter wave boards, even if it's a full on sinker, because that's the size that fits the wave face, even for his 205 lbs weight.

Matts weight is 175.

zirtaeb appears to be distorting things a bit - not just Matt Pritchard's weight, but also his board preference. When I took lessons with Matt on Maui in 2011, he called my 77 l board "too small" for me. I was about 190 lb, and the wind was 25-30 knots at Sprecks. Matt, who probably was at least 10 lb lighter, was on a 96 l board, which he called his go-to board.
dllee

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2017 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Funny you should say that.
G/f was talking to Matt end of last season, and Matt said he still weighs just over 2 hundred. She buy stuff from his shop.
175 might be true when he was 20, or after a disease. He always weighed more than Kevin in his adult life.
You guys were probably out on a light shifty wind day, so Matt grabbed the appropriate board for the conditions.
77 liters for 190 lbs is asinine....in Maui, in the waves.
Heck, I weigh 160, and Matt is twice as wide as me, and a bit taller.
dllee

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2017 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, some other weights.....
Tyson is 178, taller than Matt by a lot, at 6'1.5".
Wyatt is 185, at 6'3".
Andy Brandt is 188.
Jason at Sherman is 170.
Kevin K is 190.

How can Matt possibly weigh 175 lbs. His way wider than those guys above.
GURGLETROUSERS

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2017 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Had to smile Coach, at one of your plus points for buying new sails, i.e. BUILT IN PULLEYS. I detest the confounded things! Laughing

I keep all of my extensions (SDM and RDM) permanently threaded, each with a 3 or 4 pulley hook to just slot into the sail. Except the built in pulleys prevent that!

So the first thing I always do on buying a new sail is to drill out the bar, remove the wheels, slot in a longer stainless bar (have to cut and thread the ends and fit nuts) with a couple of shim spacers to centralise the hook and keep it pulling from the centre of the bar.

As for downhauling, it's no different in that the top 3 or 4 pulleys are in the base of the hook, and there is no big gap when fully downhauled when the extension is set to the right height. (height marked on each sail.)

I must admit it amuses me to watch others, sitting in the car park, laboriously threading rope ends through multiple small gaps between pulleys and extension bases. I sometimes think they just enjoy posing for the passers by! Razz
dllee

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2017 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Medium speed at rigging, my sails have one grommet, two grommets, normal sideways triple pulleys, and aligned triple pulleys. None is quicker than the others, unless you're talking splitting 5 seconds of time.
Now what's hard for me is rigging a sail with the clew to the right, like NP and Windwing would suggest by their batten tensioner locations.
U2U2U2

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2017 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

zirtaeb wrote:
Funny you should say that.
G/f was talking to Matt end of last season, and Matt said he still weighs just over 2 hundred. She buy stuff from his shop.
175 might be true when he was 20, or after a disease. He always weighed more than Kevin in his adult life.
You guys were probably out on a light shifty wind day, so Matt grabbed the appropriate board for the conditions.
77 liters for 190 lbs is asinine....in Maui, in the waves.
Heck, I weigh 160, and Matt is twice as wide as me, and a bit taller.

This from Matt today, to my email.

@@@@I weigh in at 175lbs these days, that is my fighting weight!@@@

Its more than a little odd you can quote weights WTF FOR

http://www.k4fins.com/fins.html
http://4boards.co.uk/
dllee

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2017 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"his fighting weight"
That's not what he weighs normally.
PWA freestyle champ, he was 190.
Late last year, he was just over 200.
My fighting weight is around 140, what I weighed until I reached age 35.
This winter, I was weighing around 164.
Now closer to 155 and heading down to mid 140's.
Nothing to distort, people weigh differently at different times of their adult lives.
Matt is a big dude. At 5'11", he's a lot bigger than me...wider bones, wider shoulder's, just a bigger person for the same height.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5

Jump to: