myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
It's 4 AM, do you know where your swells are?
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cgoudie1

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2017 6:53 am    Post subject: It's 4 AM, do you know where your swells are? Reply with quote

It's pretty obvious I don't sleep well. I read, do odd chores that don't
make noise around the condo, mix video, work on the Utah wind report, and of
course, check the wind along the Columbia. At 4:46AM 7/15 it's averaging
26 at the Hatchery. You don't need a weather guru to tell you if that holds
through the whole morning, there'll be bus sized swell by the time you get
there. ;*)

-Craig
isobars

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2017 8:30 am    Post subject: Re: It's 4 AM, do you know where your swells are? Reply with quote

cgoudie1 wrote:
It's pretty obvious I don't sleep well. I read, do odd chores that don't make noise around the condo, mix video, work on the Utah wind report, and of course, check the wind along the Columbia. At 4:46AM ...

Each of those things cause and exacerbate your insomnia by rewarding it. Doing something dull -- especially absolutely nothing -- in total darkness and out of your bed is one required step against insomnia.
isobars

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2017 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's not an opinion. It's medical fact. Sounds like you don't understand how devastating ... and how often fatal ... insomnia is.

Bye, David Duke.
cgoudie1

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2017 1:35 pm    Post subject: Re: It's 4 AM, do you know where your swells are? Reply with quote

Yep, I get it, that light thing is particularly important for me, but sometimes
after an hour or 2 of lying there eyes closed in a dark room, it just doesn't work. Besides there's nothing duller than folding laundry at 3 AM ;*)

The advise is appreciated!

-Craig

isobars wrote:
cgoudie1 wrote:
It's pretty obvious I don't sleep well. I read, do odd chores that don't make noise around the condo, mix video, work on the Utah wind report, and of course, check the wind along the Columbia. At 4:46AM ...

Each of those things cause and exacerbate your insomnia by rewarding it. Doing something dull -- especially absolutely nothing -- in total darkness and out of your bed is one required step against insomnia.
isobars

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cgoudie1 wrote:
Yep, I get it, that light thing is particularly important for me, but sometimes
after an hour or 2 of lying there eyes closed in a dark room, it just doesn't work. Besides there's nothing duller than folding laundry at 3 AM ;*)

The advise is appreciated!

Since it's appreciated, here's more: We insomniacs should get out of bed after just 20 minutes awake. Longer reinforces the insomnia, as does ANY productive activity, including folding laundry or watching even bad TV. And enough light to even detect, let alone fold laundry by, immediately halts the production of the sleep-inducing melatonin many of us are desperately low on anyway. A dozen books about insomnia, months of treatment by a nationally renowned sleep center physician, and roughly 20 sleep hygiene measures have merely helped ... by no means cured ... my insomnia, and at least now I can usually at least read or drive for half an hour before my eyes cross and close uncontrollably.

For anyone incapable of ignoring the insomnia-related aspect of the opening post, the thread's title, and/or any response thereto: I hope it hasn't permanently impaired their ability to talk or write about swell, but I'm sure Craig and I are not the only ones here whose insomnia has impacted our windsurfing and our very lives many times.
WMP

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 1:53 pm    Post subject: Sleep wellness Reply with quote

Could be Mercury Madness... http://mercurymadness.info/my-story/

I suffered from insomnia for years when I was living and windsurfing in the Gorge. Something in the crappy river water was causing it (mercury?) or the political situation? I've not had the problem since I moved to Canada.... indeed, I rest quite well here! Smile
cgoudie1

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 10:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Sleep wellness Reply with quote

Pete, we wondered what had become of you. I'm pleased to "hear" you are resting well.

If it's river water that keeps me up at night, then gladly accepted.

Wishing you prosperity and good health. The Canadians I've met are always
most pleasant people, although most I know are down here in the Gorge.

-Craig

WMP wrote:
Could be Mercury Madness... http://mercurymadness.info/my-story/

I suffered from insomnia for years when I was living and windsurfing in the Gorge. Something in the crappy river water was causing it (mercury?) or the political situation? I've not had the problem since I moved to Canada.... indeed, I rest quite well here! Smile
scottwerden

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know how old you guys are, but from my observations of friends and family and myself, insomnia is pretty common for many 60+ people. I am a born worrier and the more I worry, the less I sleep. If I overwhelm the worries with exhaustion from sailing or anything physical actually, I sleep. If I solve a worrisome personal issue, I sleep. Otherwise I am up and down in the night. But I figure it is what it is, part of growing old and nothing to obsess about. I am certainly not going to treat it as a problem I must solve. That would be another worry! Smile
cgoudie1

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Scott,

At 18, I could sleep anywhere anytime for 12 hours straight.
At 40, extreme prolonged exercise would have put me right out for 10 hours. At 60+, exhaustion from whatever source, only exacerbates
my issue, but I agree, you get to 60 plus (and I am), 4 hours continuous
is about all you can hope for, nothing to obsess over.

Now wind in the corridor at 4 am, that's something to obsess over ;^)

But I'm always interested in more sleep, so information is of interest.

-Craig

scottwerden wrote:
I don't know how old you guys are, but from my observations of friends and family and myself, insomnia is pretty common for many 60+ people. I am a born worrier and the more I worry, the less I sleep. If I overwhelm the worries with exhaustion from sailing or anything physical actually, I sleep. If I solve a worrisome personal issue, I sleep. Otherwise I am up and down in the night. But I figure it is what it is, part of growing old and nothing to obsess about. I am certainly not going to treat it as a problem I must solve. That would be another worry! Smile
isobars

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

scottwerden wrote:
But I figure it is what it is, part of growing old and nothing to obsess about. I am certainly not going to treat it as a problem I must solve.

It doesn't have to be part of growing old, and I consider it a serious problem worth solving when it keeps me from driving, reading, and feeling like a human being. Sleep deprivation (anything less than a full night's sleep -- roughly 8 hours -- on a continuous basis) is directly related or very strongly contributes to thousands of deaths every year every year and causes many very serious illnesses and behavioral problems often attributed to other causes ... such as age.

Consider "Functional and Economic Impact of Sleep Loss and Sleep-Related Disorders; CHAPTER SUMMARY"
at https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK19958/
which begins with:
" Sleep loss and sleep disorders affect an individual’s performance, safety, and quality of life. Almost 20 percent of all serious car crash injuries in the general population are associated with driver sleepiness, independent of alcohol effects. Further, sleep loss and sleep disorders have a significant economic impact. The high estimated costs to society of leaving the most prevalent sleep disorders untreated are far more than the costs that would be incurred by delivering adequate treatment. Hundreds of billions of dollars a year are spent on direct medical costs associated with doctor visits, hospital services, prescriptions, and over-the-counter drugs. Compared to healthy individuals, individuals suffering from sleep loss, sleep disorders, or both are less productive, have an increased health care utilization, and an increased likelihood of accidents."

Think Exxon Valdez, the Challenger Disaster, 20% of all serious automobile accidents, and being too sleepy to drive to the Hatchery on a windy day.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: