myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
a review of the exocet board D2
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jingebritsen

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2012 3:09 am    Post subject: a review of the exocet board D2 Reply with quote

it's on tinho's calema website. an incredible board.

http://calema.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=632

http://www.epicgearusa.com/
joethewindsufa

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2012 6:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i agree

i have been following the discussions on the LBWS / longboard windsurf forum

http://www.lbwindsurfing.com/

Tinho promises to do a video and there are two(2) out:

http://vimeo.com/28839702

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hmIoJkiwQRw
GURGLETROUSERS

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2012 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A good write up. just what we've been waiting for.

At last there seems to be a definite step up in light wind performance, from the old classic racing longboards. My interest is in recreational use as a lighter wind alternative( for darting here, there, and everywhere), to formula gear. It will clearly outperform the current Kona 1 on such days, and, as a bonus, will annoy the grounded short board grumblers, in the car park! Laughing Laughing (Though the Kona 1 will still be the board of first choice for day long exploratory cruises, in variable and often tricky places, when ease of control is all important.)

There are two snags.

a) Cost.It is of lightweight expensive high tech construction, geared to racing performance, and will probably need big equally expensive rigs to perform well. It's very unlikely that a tougher cheaper recreational version will be produced. (I read that only 500 are to be sold, anyway.)

b) Durability. Most of the old racing classics are still going strong after 20+ years of use, and my Kona 1 is probably similar. With some of the modern raceboards falling apart with use, sometimes before finishing the racing season, durability remains an important question.

For me, that will be the crunch!
nw30

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2012 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, there's a cross-over for ya.
It looks like SUP racing is affecting windsurf racing now. Those displacement boards have been used in SUP racing for quite awhile now. And yes, they are light, fragile, expensive, but FAST.

In SUP racing, I don't think you can get one shorter than 12-6, the most popular length is 14', but there are 17 & 18'ers out there as well.

I can't imagine what kind of damage a hard boom or mast slam would to to those though. Ouch!
beaglebuddy

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 4:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Planing jibe is sort of trying to coax a drunk out of a pub"
jingebritsen

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 4:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

D2 is short for division 2. that was a class of windsurfers in the 1980's. the stand up folks knew about displacement from D2 and from prone paddlers. prone folks have been using egg shell displacement hulls forever too. in long distance paddling contests today, some are prone, some not.

olympic canoe stances are typically prohibited in SUP races, since those that have practiced that form crush everyone else. lots of stuff has been, time and again, ripped off over the years, over and over. the evolution of sport is rarely without blending, just gotta realize who's done what first.

http://www.epicgearusa.com/
jamieinnyc

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought cost was already reported to be nearly 3K Euro. But I also read somewhere that only 50 will be produced? The cost makes sense, but the production run does not.
GURGLETROUSERS

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, sorry Jamieinnye, after the initial flurry of announcements and comments, and while waiting to read sailing reports from actual users, the interest had been put on hold.

The French have always done their best to give an impression that they inhabit their own private little universe, and that the rest of the world is a mere annoyance to them!

The quoted price puts the board well into the luxury class for those of us of ordinary means. To justify such an outlay just for recreational use, it would need to be built to last a VERY long time. If that really WAS so, some of us would still buy one.

As you probably are aware, Yagon, writing on L.B.W.S., apparently predated Exocets offering with what appears to be an almost identical design!
nw30

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would love to see the rest of the WS industry get behind this, it would open a whole new world of WS racing with new speed records being left in the dust, as well as a renewed interest in racing as a result of it.
Here's a pic of a start of a race that happened this weekend down in Oz. (around dawn), the SUP guys have it all figured out, and it's just helping their nitch in the industry explode in advancement and wealth.
I would love to see other companies besides Exocet get onto this as well, it would be a needed boost for our sport.

5850084.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  345.86 KB
 Viewed:  22423 Time(s)

5850084.jpg

sailaero

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great to see all the interest in the new Exocet D2. The boards suggested retail is $3399. The first shipment has sold out but more boards will be available in 6 weeks.
Steve Gottlieb
Exocet North America
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: