myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
buying mast at the Gorge

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
alap

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2017 11:30 pm    Post subject: buying mast at the Gorge Reply with quote

Gorge sailors, I need your advice. Buying mast at the swap, RDM 370 - ballpark, how much will it cost?

and is it risky (in terms of breakage)? Like buying sail is extremely easy decision, you see what are you getting... and with masts, what to look for? Any brand to avoid? Probably NoLimitz is the best brand?

This will be used very infrequently, I have 4.1 Loft and 3.9 Loft and 3.5 Ezzy and three booms but only one mast 370 PowereX. 3.5 conditions in my area are very rare, like once in a few years but when that happens I do not want waste my time reriging. So the performance or weight is not a priority, but the bullet prof construction is.

Any advice on the subject will be very much appreciated.
isobars

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 8:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

At Hood River swaps I've paid from $40 (heavily used but only a year old and from a guy I knew) to half list price (new and warranted) for NoLimits Skinnys. More typical is in between ... used but no visible damage beyond some scuffing and priced in the general range of $250 (really guessing on the prices as I'm not in the market for masts any more.) I have no reservations about buying a used NoLimitz, especially compared to a PowerX RDM.

Ezzy has NoLimitz make his masts to his bend specs, so the normal NoLimitz isn't ideal for his sails, but I've been told that they still work well together.

Mike \m/
kmf

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Used 370's are hard to find as all new sails now use shorter masts. People snap them up quickly.

kmf
coachg

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Loft sails may not work with a Nolimitz. I'd bring my sails and rig them on the mast before buying. I have Nolimitz standard & Sumo 400's and took them to Delta Windsur to try a Loft 4 batten freestyle sail in the 5+ range and couldn't get the sail to set properly with any combination of the two masts. On tiny sails it may not be so pronounced a mismatch.

Coachg
alap

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes guys, I hear you, and thank you for the info

isobars, I have the same feelings about this PowerX 100%; to my defense I bought it locally from the friend for 200 cnd... so taking my chances

coach, I agree with you. I tried my Sumo 400 on this Loft 4.1 yesterday in the backyard, and then this 370 as well. The specs on the sail says recommended mast 400. The 370 was much better.

But with those small sails I am not looking for perfect fit, more for just riding.
In those conditions I will be proud just to complete the jibe (passing the chop downwind will knock me out, if there is a gust it will knock me out for sure). But I have enough skills to completely enjoy the ride on the reach enjoing the same chop...

So the bottom line, NoLimitz or Ezzy or Sailworks (also made by NolImitz ?) are the best bets for me? any other brands to include in this list? Avoid the rest?

If this NoLimitz 370 will be there brand new for 250- or something less in great shape, its great, but if not what would you say for Chinook brand new RDM 60% carbon MSRP 260- Again, it probably won't perform that great as custom made Ezzy RDM... but probably better than my North Infinity pre monofilm 3.6 on 430 Fiberspar 30% carbon with very short boom (and I had several fantastic sessions on it about 8-10 years back, totally riding, not swimming). But what can you say about this 60% RDM durability?
isobars

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

alap wrote:
passing the chop downwind will knock me out, if there is a gust it will knock me out for sure

"Bend zee knees", aka "If you're looking above your boom, your knees aren't flexed enough".

alap wrote:
If this NoLimitz 370 will be there brand new for 250- or something less in great shape, its great, but if not what would you say for Chinook brand new RDM 60% carbon

That $250 NL Skinny is for used, not new. As for the Chinook ... you get what you pay for. It's not intended to compete head-to-head with a Nolimitz, but then who needs a NL for a few rides per year (besides people riding 40-foot waves on a reef)?
alap

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
That $250 NL Skinny is for used, not new. As for the Chinook ... you get what you pay for. It's not intended to compete head-to-head with a Nolimitz, but then who needs a NL for a few rides per year (besides people riding 40-foot waves on a reef)?

I meant used NL in great condition or similar.

but otherwise exactly my point, performance wise I probably won't see a difference at my level on the inland lake... and it is not even few times per year for me and my typical conditions, may be few times per remaining life, unfortunately

But still the Q: durability like what is better, used NL or new 60% carbon Chinook?
isobars

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Invalid session. Please resubmit the form.
OK, dammit. I'll log off, log back on, and try a sixth time. Thanks a lot, iW.

As of a few years ago, only one mast on the planet was tough enough to shove its tip up its base to form a circle. That was a NoLimitz Skinny (the copyrighted name for their RDM). The next threat is impact damage, and I'm not aware* of any mast with greater impact resistance. The third threat is uv (since we can see the fibers in a Powerex, so can the sun. I've had several PXs fray, then snap, for no apparent reason besides uv exposure.) Whether a used Skinny is more reliable than a new WhateverŽ depends on whether the former was structurally damaged.

* OTOH, I've not kept track of mast technology, as I expect never to break or buy another mast. That's why I bought a quiver of Skinnys. With any luck, I'll live long enough to break one of them.

Yet another factor is that my sails for >25 years now have been designed in Hood River to perform optimally on a specific mast (a Dynafiber up until 2000, Skinnys since then.) YMMV with other brands of sails and masts, and although you do not need optimal performance, sub-4 sails can be a twitchy PITA on mismatched masts. Fortunately but not universally, most modern sails and masts are now [i]reasonably[/i] compatible.
alap

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 12:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thank you Isobars.
you reinforced my suspicion - if used then NoLimitz only...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: