myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Learning to Windsurf from a FEMALE perspective
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
alap

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"teaching your wife" no matter what, windsurfing including ... is an oxymoron and may be dangerous. How about teaching her good driving habits...

Jokes aside the very floaty vest plus the helmet (again for flotation) will definitely help, but I am sure she already wears those. I think that Dashers waterstart DVD should be good - I watched it well after I learned this trick just from curiosity. Also as everything in wsrfng it is not about strength but timing, balance and technique. Waterstart specifically being bendy and allowing to position your center of the mass closer to the board should be easier for girls.

Another thing I may guess is that you may be giving her a board that is too big for her - the one that it is easier for her to uphaul and sail. I would try to give her the smallest board you have with the idea to get this waterstarting trick and dont sail too far and repeat. It will be easier for her to maneuver the small board for this starting position and it only will help her if she be able to submerge a tail even if only couple cm. Also try to move the boom a bit higher - again for waterstart will be easier
jingebritsen

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

subtle thing about SDM masts. they float better. thus they are easier to water start.

lots of common mistakes seen over and over. people pull with their arms and push with their feet. one has to pull the board under the butt, with arms straight. also, people seem to think it is okay to put both feet up on the board. that only works when it is howling.

notice i said people, not women.....

http://www.epicgearusa.com/
Goodwind

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you can't travel to lessons or no local lessons, vast and Waterstarter will help.

https://chinooksailing.com/index.php/windsurf/booms/boom-parts-accessories/waterstarter.html

https://www.dakine.com/en-us/sport/kiteboard/kite-harnesses/surface-vest?source=search&utm_source=google_shopping&m=configurable_scp&gclid=Cj0KCQjw--DLBRCNARIsAFIwR27iHugrKcm_nOQyW-PPyXFzLj5be_-iEly0ukqazM_rXm68R2IwqswaAjqXEALw_wcB
mamero

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Goodwind wrote:
If you can't travel to lessons or no local lessons, vast and Waterstarter will help.

https://chinooksailing.com/index.php/windsurf/booms/boom-parts-accessories/waterstarter.html

https://www.dakine.com/en-us/sport/kiteboard/kite-harnesses/surface-vest?source=search&utm_source=google_shopping&m=configurable_scp&gclid=Cj0KCQjw--DLBRCNARIsAFIwR27iHugrKcm_nOQyW-PPyXFzLj5be_-iEly0ukqazM_rXm68R2IwqswaAjqXEALw_wcB

Thanks for the links "Goodwind". My wife always wears an impact vest. We both do. Body flotation is covered. We both have a helmets but admittedly don't wear them. Perhaps she should wear her helmet. Beyond the safety factor it would provide buoyancy for her head?

I had considered an Easy waterstarter when I was learning but never did buy one. Perhaps I should look at this again.
mamero

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the information and tips everyone. A lot of great ideas here so far. I will pass this on to my wife. Ideally, I will get her directly involved in this thread so she can ask questions and offer her thoughts as they directly apply.

In the mean time, please continue with any other tips you can. Any lady windsurfers out their who can chime in?
mamero

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PS. Her and I agree completely with a dedicated windsurfing trip. We are considering a Windsurfing Bootcamp to either Prasonisi or Dahab sometime next year. Currently it is not an option however.

Ideally her and I are looking for ideas we can implement presently and locally. Thanks.
isobars

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mamero wrote:
Perhaps she should wear her helmet. Beyond the safety factor it would provide buoyancy for her head?

I had considered an Easy waterstarter when I was learning but never did buy one. Perhaps I should look at this again.

Many millions of people have learned without them to waterstart.

The only time helmet flotation matters is when the helmet is under water.
isobars

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

alap wrote:
"teaching your wife" no matter what, windsurfing including ... is an oxymoron and may be dangerous.

Jokes aside ...

No joke. Teaching a loved one to windsurf can cost 6 figures ... more if serious alimony is involved. Besides the alimony cost, there's the dichotomy between a good athlete and a good instructor. The two are almost unrelated.
dmilovich

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

+1 on Da Kine vest (that one specifically). My girlfriend loves hers and it was very useful during waterstarting practice.

I tried a Waterstarter some years back. Seemed like the weight of water it took on when wet and its own weight made it not so useful. But maybe for large (6.0+) sails it might work.

+1 on SPI or similar - no question it makes a huge difference being able to stand to get organized.

Also - be sure that she can rest the boom on the tail of the board to get organized. Lots of new boards have mast track pretty far back. Also, booms too high make that hard as well. Lower boom in general makes it easier to waterstart.
nw30

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 7:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Learning to Windsurf from a FEMALE perspective Reply with quote

mamero wrote:
I need some advice from the lady Windsurfers out there. Or at least a female perspective............. What tips can you provide with a female perspective to make water starting easier and windsurfing in general? Thanks.

LOL, don't really mean to laugh, but so far it seems that you have gotten nothing but guys perspective about the ladies.
I agree with most of the things said here so far, but for me, being married twice but divorced only once, I've learned not to delve too deeply into a lady's perspective. Just when you think you have them figured out, you discover that you really don't. "A man's got to know his limitations" H. Callahan
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: