myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Dawn Patrol questions?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jim.od3

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 12:56 pm    Post subject: Dawn Patrol questions? Reply with quote

I am planning to camp in the gorge all next week and commute in to Portland to work. I am hoping to be able to get in some early morning or late afternoon windsufing. I am jonesing to get on the water. Only had one windsurfing trip so far this year due to life getting in the way.

My question is: What is a realistic Dawn Patrol scenario? I've never tried early morning sailing in the Gorge. Is it realistic to hope to sail from 6:30-8:00 am? Mostly I hear people talking about Dawn Patrol at the Hatchery - is that the place to go, or is there morning wind to be had closer to Portland?

Thanks,

-Jim
p.s. I know the forecast for at least the first part of next week is not looking very windy. Sad
willysurf

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Every day is different so there are no hard and fast rules- especially since climate change has wreaked havoc on Gorge winds. Having said that, the usual spots for dawn patrol are swell/hatch and Mosier (looked real good on the way to work this morning). I guess Viento too but that place sucks b@lls. For after work, Roweener used to be king but it has not been reliable in the past few years due to climate change.

Read the IW and Temira's forecasts and you should have all the info you need to plan your day.
Jim.od3

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hear you about Viento. I've been trying to make a go of it there since that's where I camp (with family in tow). But I would say my success rate in terms of getting a good session is about 50/50. I'm definitely learning the hard way what everybody says about Viento - If the wind has any northerly component, turn and run! Last trip I tried to sail there two days in a row when the wind was northerly and it was absolutely horrible, to the point where I was wondering if my sailing skills (which aren't that great to begin with) had somehow left me entirely. I left the water in frustration thinking, "God, I SUCK!"

That being said, I have had a few very nice sessions there including a 9am-10am session on my last trip a few weeks ago. And two days of nice sessions last year.

-Jim
H2OJoe

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Hatchery or Swell City are the best bet for epic dawn patrol conditions. Since you are staying at Viento the Event Site might be a better choice time wise. You have to park outside and walk in but there's a reason you will see someone out there just about any day dawn patrol is possible. Clean wind and water if you're in the "progressing" mode or good swell up closer to the White Salmon bridge. Oh, it's dawn patrol so the crowds, windsurfer or kiteboarder, are non-existent. Enjoy your vacay!
Jim.od3

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you think the water conditions are "cleaner" in the morning with fewer windsurfers/kiteboarders slashing up the swell? I mean cleaner in the "less choppy" sense.

-Jim
kmf

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh no!!!! Don't go to the Event site....it's the gustiest place in the Corridor area for windsurfers. Leur Jensen is better...not by much, but it is better. The Hatch or Swell is a better bet. Mosier can be good, but there is no way to tell unless you drive there.

KMF
westender

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it's going to be too hot next week for any wind any time. Coast or Jones beach probably be good.
cgoudie1

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 12:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is absolutely the case Jim, even if the swell doesn't organize.

-Craig

Jim.od3 wrote:
Do you think the water conditions are "cleaner" in the morning with fewer windsurfers/kiteboarders slashing up the swell? I mean cleaner in the "less choppy" sense.

-Jim
boggsman1

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Go to Swell at 6 am, rig up a 5.0, and grab your 85 ltr board and enjoy the glassy smooth rollers all by yourself!!!
isobars

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dawn Patrol used to happen 3-4 days a week in the summer, and yes, it provided superior sailing for many reasons including clean, empty swell. I began hundreds of days in the '90s on the water on small gear at the Hatchery before the sun came up. For the last decade plus, it happens more like 3-4 times a SEASON. Grab it if it occurs, but don't hold your breath.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: