myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Windsurfing Wave Foiling
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RUMREEFWARRIOR

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

zirtaeb wrote:
Camera's do make the image distorted.
But coming from 25 year's of full time surfing, it appears to me that only windsurf wave riding is close to actually surfing the waves.
Kitesurfing in waves is just using the wave as a reference point, as kite power overcomes any wave that comes along.
Foil surfing rides the undercurrent of an incoming swell, so it doesn't need a wave at all, as foils ride under the wave, and can just as easily ride windswells that never break.
Try surfing, then tell me foiling is the same thing.

Right on, I agree with everything you said there. I am also a surfer of 20yrs+, Surfing is surfing, and you cant say foil surfing is exactly surfing cause its not. Its just another rendition of it. But it has so many of the surfing traits, that's why its so much fun for me, cause it really feels like you are surfing. The, "drop in" "Acceleration" "speed" "reading the wave" "carving" ect. I have seen guys doing wave air 360s on them already, who knows what is next, Barrels????. What ever way you look at, it is a stupid amount of fun Very Happy
wdsurf

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 9:20 am    Post subject: Go foil vs. lp Reply with quote

Casey is the go foil easier to ride for a novice foiler than the LP?joe
RUMREEFWARRIOR

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 5:20 am    Post subject: Re: Go foil vs. lp Reply with quote

wdsurf wrote:
Casey is the go foil easier to ride for a novice foiler than the LP?joe

Its probably about the same for learning. the LP is better for flat water cruzing, and the Go Foil is for surfing waves.
Jim.od3

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great for the Great Lakes?!
brynkaufman2

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This new type of wind foiling is something that sounds like a ton of fun.

I am currently into foiling on the JP 155 foil board and NP Aluminum Foil. This setup likes to go fast, up to the max speed of the foil. It really does not like to go slow in my opinion. I believe on a swell if I had no sail power this foil would not fly. It could be a skill issue but that is my take on it right now.

The Maliko by Go Foil definitely will fly with just the slightest swell, and the sail seems like a great way to get on the swell and get back to where you started after riding that nice long swell. I assume the sail will get one back faster than paddling, and maybe you can even foil back to the starting area to catch the next swell.

The only questions for me are what is the best board to pair with the Maliko to do this, and what is the wind minimum and sail size?

I am hoping it has a lower wind minimum because there are some days where the swells and waves are great, but the wind is under 10 knots, and I would like to be able to use this setup in those conditions. As I can't use my current setup in those conditions, it would get me more days on the water.

I have had a lot of fun in swells on a WindSUP setup with a WindSUP sail, but when the wind drops to 10 knots max I go no where fast and can't catch anything, so it is not fun, or if it goes up too high the WindSUP sail is not so stable, so it is not easy to find the perfect conditions for that setup, but I know it is fun!

Windsurfing Wave Foiling seems like it could solve the issues I had with the WindSUP. I might be able to go out in much less wind and use a regular sail so if the wind comes up it is no problem. Plus I could catch the swell much further out so I would have much longer rides.
norcom

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 10:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Windsurfing Wave Foiling Reply with quote

RUMREEFWARRIOR wrote:
I am sure its not for everyone but this is the foiling I am stoked on Very Happy , Hit the link for the full write up.
https://reefwarriors.wordpress.com/2017/08/02/windsurfing-wave-foiling/

I couldn't agree more with you! I know EXACTLY what you feel because I just recently found it too! These surf foils ARE a game changer and people just don't understand how surfy they feel! They're NOTHING like freeride (speed) foils in the waves. The conditions they open up in light winds and junk waves are incredible to say the least. I'm loving my Takuma foil even though it's quite heavy compared to a full carbon Go Foil.
brynkaufman2

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just got a Go Foil Maliko on my JP 155 Foil Board.

I only rode it yesterday and the wind was gusting just a bit over 10 mph and I had a 6.5 rigged for medium wind.

I did not have enough power to get on the foil and there were no swells which was unusual.

I think I would have done better with my Ezzy Zephyr 7.5, but I did not expect the wind to drop like it did and I was not sure what this foil was capable of.

I did notice the board felt lighter in the water. What I mean is as I started to pick up speed even though I did not have enough speed to come up on the foil it raised the board just enough so I could go faster. I was not plowing the water like my other foil when there is not enough wind to get going.

If anyone has any tips for light wind on this type of foil please let me know. I am confident if there were swells I could have foiled them because just a tiny bump in the water I could feel the foil start to hum.

I have no idea if this board is optimized for this type of foil. The tuttle box might be further back which creates less lift, not sure. My straps are all the way back too. I decided not to adjust anything until I have a day with some wind and can really tell what is going on.

The very brief time I got up on it I was shocked at how stable it was.

I can't wait to try it out next week when the wind is back. My goal is to sail 2 miles off shore, then ride a swell back with very little if any sail power, then do it again!
grantmac017

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2017 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I'll arrange a demo of the Slingshot SUP wing on my existing windfoil. My current wing will outrun swells.
RUMREEFWARRIOR

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2017 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

brynkaufman2 wrote:
I just got a Go Foil Maliko on my JP 155 Foil Board.

I only rode it yesterday and the wind was gusting just a bit over 10 mph and I had a 6.5 rigged for medium wind.

I did not have enough power to get on the foil and there were no swells which was unusual.

I think I would have done better with my Ezzy Zephyr 7.5, but I did not expect the wind to drop like it did and I was not sure what this foil was capable of.

I did notice the board felt lighter in the water. What I mean is as I started to pick up speed even though I did not have enough speed to come up on the foil it raised the board just enough so I could go faster. I was not plowing the water like my other foil when there is not enough wind to get going.

If anyone has any tips for light wind on this type of foil please let me know. I am confident if there were swells I could have foiled them because just a tiny bump in the water I could feel the foil start to hum.

I have no idea if this board is optimized for this type of foil. The tuttle box might be further back which creates less lift, not sure. My straps are all the way back too. I decided not to adjust anything until I have a day with some wind and can really tell what is going on.

The very brief time I got up on it I was shocked at how stable it was.

I can't wait to try it out next week when the wind is back. My goal is to sail 2 miles off shore, then ride a swell back with very little if any sail power, then do it again!

First thing to do is take the straps off your board. wont need them with the go foil. I mostly use a 5.7 or 4.7 for wave riding works best. have fun riding waves forever. Very Happy
brynkaufman2

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2017 12:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got out today on my 5.5. I did much better but had a couple issues maybe you could comment on.

One issue was I had a lot of spin outs. My foil is towards the back so I guess I am just putting too much force on the foil but I am surprised at how many times and how easy it spins out.

The 2nd issue is I find sometimes I get turned violently upwind and crash. Not sure if you experienced that when starting.

I am getting the hang of it and sometimes I was foiling comfortably with just one hand on the boom, so things are going the right direction.

I love how it just takes off on any size swell, although I am also having trouble keeping my speed under control. My max speed was 17 mph which is probably too fast for this foil, not sure. Once I have the push from the swell and just a tiny bit of wind in the sail the foil quickly picks up speed.

Any suggestions you have would be great. If I can get a bit more control more often this could be magic.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: