myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Impact Vest recommendations?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jgda

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 1:50 pm    Post subject: Impact Vest recommendations? Reply with quote

Every few years I seem to bruise, crack or break a rib. I have vest that is really worthless. Any recommendations for a vest that you like that seems to protect your side ribs well with a waist harness? I am going to shop around a bit, but would like any personal recs....
isobars

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd ditch the waist harness for a butt bucket and worry about my ribs first. There are some svelte butt buckets on the market, and we'll never get back shred time lost to rib injuries.

(Makes me wonder how much shred time I take putting on my butt bucket and rib armor. A minute X twice a day X 80 days ... 3 hours a season ... oh, hell, never mind ... that's infinitely worth the time it takes to stop torso injuries, and I have to have some extra flotation anyway.)

Waist harnesses are sort of like helmets in that both are acquired habits with pros and cons ... except that I can't think of any significant cons to butt buckets or helmets but have posted lots of pros for both.

Of course, if any effective rib armor products work well with waist harnesses ... there ya go. I gotta admit that I'm envious of people who just twist a release and drop their waist harness to the ground ... until, that is, they nail a rib or an internal organ.
H2OJoe

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Both Dakine and Ion have great impact harnesses that work well with waist harnesses. Today's waist harness will give your back much more support than a seat harness and is more appropriate for the smaller sails we use here in the Gorge. Big Winds has both vests in stock. Stop by and check them out.
isobars

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

H2OJoe wrote:
Today's waist harness will give your back much more support than a seat harness and is more appropriate for the smaller sails we use here in the Gorge.

You must be referring to purely seat harnesses. I'm referring to the many models that start with the coverage and support of the best waist harnesses and add a butt bucket to extend the support, keep the whole rig down under any and all circumstances, and neither ride up nor restrict breathing. I've had no problem using DaKine's biggest harnesses -- even their bloated Lazy Boy Recliner model or whatever they called it a few years ago -- with a 2.8.

I've tried 12-15 models of impact vests, and Will.Not.Wear. any that rely on an elastic waistband to hold them down. I value deep, unrestricted breathing too highly. I tether mine to my harness to keep the vest down, and a waist harness is useless for that even when not hooked in. Hook height variations can be accommodated by harness line length and/or boom height.

We've had countless discussions of waist vs seat harnesses here, and, like sliding vs fixed bars, the choice seems to come down to personal choice.
U2U2U2

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2017 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This works for me. YMMV.

http://stores.wetsuit.com/buoyancy-impact-vests/

I don't recommend the over the head models, the front zip treats me swell.

http://www.k4fins.com/fins.html
http://4boards.co.uk/
H2OJoe

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2017 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With all due respect Isobars, you are not the role model that most sailors should follow and your opinions are specific to your personal needs, not every other sailor on the water. Check with every shop in town and you will find they sell waist harnesses 3-1 over seat harnesses. There's a reason for that. Most people that are still using seat harnesses are doing so because that is what they have always used and are reluctant to change.
isobars

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2017 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

H2OJoe wrote:
With all due respect Isobars, you are not the role model that most sailors should follow and your opinions are specific to your personal needs, not every other sailor on the water.

That's one of many reasons why I post my own criteria, rationale, and opinions rather than retyping everyone else's, and why I don't tell others how or what they should do (besides experimenting).

H2OJoe wrote:
Check with every shop in town and you will find they sell waist harnesses 3-1 over seat harnesses. There's a reason for that. Most people that are still using seat harnesses are doing so because that is what they have always used and are reluctant to change.

Reluctance to change is but one of many reasons -- and a poor one -- for sticking with one style, product, or technique. For example, I never did like DaKine's Power Belt concept; it -- like vests that rely on a compression fit to stay down -- is completely at odds with the deep breathing important in every active sport. The last thing I want when I drop into the water to relax and find some more oxygen is restricted breathing.

These are for weightlifting, not HIIT ... IMO Smile

Kurtvr1293

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use a waist harness and have a Dakine and an ion. No issues. The Dakine is for sale as I got fat over winter. Its a large. Bought XL in the ion. Everyone tells you to buy them tight and they loosen up in the water. True but not as much as they say.
After you use one you won't go back. Easy to swim for your gear and easily to waterstart. Rib protection is nice too
mollyalbright

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love my Nei Pryde. Just the right amount of protection and float. I also wear it for big wave SUP in the winter.

IMG_5312.PNG
 Description:
 Filesize:  185.28 KB
 Viewed:  22007 Time(s)

IMG_5312.PNG

GuyT

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Love my new ION Vector, don't feel it and I like the extra flotation it gives me.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: