myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Roberts Boards - Opinions?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
boardsurfr

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2017 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mamero wrote:
grantmac017 wrote:
Have you ever sailed a raceboard? Not some beginner wide thing with a dinky little centerboard but a proper raceboard.

No, I haven't sailed a true formula board. I know they are a different approach than a general-purpose freeride board like a Starboard Carve.

"Raceboard" generally refers to longboards, not formula boards. Examples are Starboard Phantoms, Mistral Equipes, and Fanatic Ultra Cats. Like formula boards, they let you go much steeper angles - check the attached GPS tracks from typical sessions. Note that the longboard tracks were not from a "full" race board, which would have allowed even steeper upwind angles (the daggerboard in the F2 Lightning I used is the narrow kind).
Shortboards, including formula boards, are only fun when they are planing. In contrast, longboards are fun at all speeds. In the upwind legs in the tracks below, the board was semi-planing on the rail/daggerboard. That's just about as much fun as fully planing on a shortboard, but requires a bit more skill and attention - it puts you "in the zone" more easily.
Longboards work better with smaller sail than formula boards. The "official" sail size for longboards is 9.5, with 8.5s also being used. My wife was on a 7.0 and an Ultra Cat during the same session, and had no problems beating me on the 8.5 (but she is 50 lb lighter). You have the option to use smaller sails (I used a 6.5 yesterday to work on rail rides) or larger sails (some guys use 11 m in light wind).

Longboard-tracks.jpg
 Description:
Typical longboard tracks
 Filesize:  89.03 KB
 Viewed:  9401 Time(s)

Longboard-tracks.jpg

Shortboard-tracks.jpg
 Description:
Typical shortboard tracks
 Filesize:  83.55 KB
 Viewed:  9401 Time(s)

Shortboard-tracks.jpg

mamero

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2017 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

isobars wrote:
There's little point sinking even just the $500 on one until you're prepared to spend almost $3,000 bucks on a proper rig for it AND are sure it's the kind of sailing you want to do. I highly recommend trying one out first; there's more to life than just planing.

I tend to agree isobars. After sleeping on it I think I've passed my GAS (Gear Acquisition Syndrome) for a dedicated formula board; at this time.

I know for sure that at some point I would like to change out my '04 Carve 121 to something newer. A Starboard Futura is a board that has been on my radar a while. It would be a better crossover from my carve (a good combination of freeride and formula), likely more versatile than a formula board, and would work with my current rigs.

Incidentally, what volume Futura would be good for my size (5'6" 140lbs)? (104, 114, or 124). It seems the Futura uses less volume when compared to a Carve with the same rig. However again, even with a Futura I would want something that can get me out in lighter wind if possible. If a Carve 121 is more or less my size, then would a 114 or 124 be better?

Back to Roberts boards for a second. In general, regardless of board type, are Roberts boards any good? I do see them pop up on Craigslist from time-to-time. Are they using modern designs, materials, and construction techniques. Or, are they kind of clunky and from a somewhat "old school" approach. Hard to describe but you know what I mean. I wonder that because they are such a small niche company it is hard to keep up with the progress of the big companies like Starboard or JP. New Roberts boards are not cheap and perhaps you would get more board for your money from a bigger company that has a large R&D team behind it?
grantmac017

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2017 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess it depends on what you want out of the board and what you consider to be your minimum wind speed. Are you willing to slog 90% of the time just to blast a bit, or do you want to consistently make miles?
Without a doubt if you want to make miles in light wind then a raceboard is going to make that happen the most reliably.

I disagree that it's as fun as planing on a shortboard, but it's a lot of fun racing and way more fun than slogging a shortboard.
combs

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2017 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All of Rob's modern boards are customs now, so it depends on what the original owner had in mind. I've had rob make a board for me and have bought two second hand Roberts boards. All are top quality, very strong, and very fast.
swchandler

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2017 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Regarding Roberts boards, I would suggest contacting Sailworks and talking with Bruce Peterson or Dale Cook. Both of them have been riding Roberts boards for many years. Bruce, in particular, has a lot experience racing Roberts' formula boards in the Gorge.
isobars

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2017 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Roberts are premiere boards, but as Grant says, what counts most is a board's purpose. I wouldn't pay ten dollars for the world's best Formula board for surf sailing, for example, and I have paid ten dollars for some phenomenal Gorge boards I'd gladly have paid a thousand for if necessary.

Which of these would I rather drive on the highway ... this ...

or this?

Tough call, given that either would get me arrested.
alap

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2017 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

for me personally, the biggest advantage of Formula was that it helped me to master my light air pivot jibe, and this had a two fold benefit into shortboard area.

Firstly, the light air pivot jibe on the shortboard with small sail -it is totally identical technique (with smaller margin for an error than on Formula)

Secondly - the flip and handwork (throw, throw, pull, grab) is identical in both light air and real carve jibe. Throwing 8.5 on Formula requires more precision and flip lasts noticeably longer of course, but for learning purposes it is a good thing.

This happened quite recently when we had spent couple vacations in Okanagan, a low wind area. I wanted to sell this Formula before that and I am very happy this didn't happen. In non planning conditions it is much easier on Formula than on Fanatic Ray 145 l (both with 8.5 Retro -my biggest sail). Also with light wind it is always a possibility of a gust, so in light air your chances of planing on Formula do increase, even if a little bit. (and when it comes and it pops up - this is a wonderful feeling)

Sailing (shlogging or gliding - no difference for me personally) completely alone in light air is a mellow fun of course but beats SUP paddling on flat water hands down (thats of course if you don't have waves nearby, waves presence changes everything in this equation; just flat water). It also helped me to improve my upwind shortboard technique in non planning conditions - "looking depressed" and burring windward rail (dramatically! like standing on the edge on this Formula in ankle deep water). My upwind angles probably are less than with a dagger on a long board, but I do go upwind shlogging on this Formula and 8.5

With your light weight I am not sure what would be your minimal size sail, if concentrating just on light air pivot jibe and flipping handwork the 7.0 might work as well.

As mentioned before on Formula the boom should be 7-10 cm higher. However the harness lines length for me is the same for both Formula and Ray 145 l. I think this is because the Formula is wider, so just setting boom higher is sufficient for me. However I had attached the second set of harness lines to my 8.5 boom. Very long lines, dedicated exclusively for comfortably shlogging on Formula in non planning conditions. I was afraid they would interfere with main harness lines, but they don't.

to sum it up - if you thinking about increasing planing time - it will do but very marginally.
but it will force you to go more in non planning conditions and this will be a great benefit overall
grantmac017

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2017 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Iso- like 99% of all windsurfers he doesn't live in the Gorge or anywhere like it. His local conditions are mostly 10-15 mph thermals with flat water. Your largest gear would get you perhaps 20-30 days a year if you didn't work and owned a drysuit.

If he was heavier or had an interest in course racing I'd say the formula would be a great choice. But at his weight all it would do is get him higher angles and maybe 1-2 mph earlier planing.

For a person who works and wants to maximize summer TOW then looking outside the typical shortboard world is a very solid idea.
isobars

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2017 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

grantmac017 wrote:
Iso- like 99% of all windsurfers he doesn't live in the Gorge or anywhere like it.

I fail to see how that relates to anything I posted or implied.

grantmac017 wrote:
at his weight all it would do is get him higher angles and maybe 1-2 mph earlier planing.

You reinforce my point in asking him whether it's worth three grand to him.
mamero

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2017 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

isobars wrote:
Which of these would I rather drive on the highway ...

Put the Bugatti in the bucket and drive both!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5

Jump to: