myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Anybody else here SUP when there is no wind?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PeconicPuffin

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I SUP surf in waves when there are waves.

I also use my SUP boards (have two, both have windsurfing inserts) for nonplaning freestyle on flat water when the wind is light. On Saturday it was all about duck tacks and backwinded downwind 360's.

Darbonne

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pivot turning my SUP has helped my non planing jibes.
wynsurfer

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bought my first windsup 3 years ago and have used it a great deal. I paddle when there is no wind and sail it when it's 5-10 to practice light wind freestyle. Overall it has helped keep me in shape for when it's windy enough to windsurf my short boards.
coachg

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 10:00 am    Post subject: SUP Reply with quote

Darbonne wrote:
Pivot turning my SUP has helped my non planing jibes.

The SUP will also help your upwind 360's.

I'm like most I & do it off & on. Location, location, location. If I lived close to a place like Lake Tahoe I'd do it a lot on non windy days as there is much to see. A small lake like Donner, not so much. I do the down river runs with a buddy who retired a few years ago. When he is in town we leave one vehicle down river & carpool up river to start. There are some restaurants on the water along the way so we can stop & eat. Great way to catch up. Also, if you have access to some class 2 or 3 rapids like I do it can be more exciting, but make sure you get an old beater SUP as the rocks play hell on anything nice.

Coachg
mamero

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it's too light to windsurf I Land Paddle!

Not me but you get the idea.

d0uglass

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have gone completely bonkers about SUP for racing and fitness, as a glance at any of my recent blog posts will attest. But just a few years ago I could never have imagined that.

Originally, SUP was my watersport of last resort. Paddling my windsurfing longboard was better than doing nothing when there was no wind, but not by much. However, it was kind of cool realizing I could do "kayak type" activities on sheltered waterways, without having to buy a kayak, using a the windsurf board I already had, plus a home-made paddle.

Stage 2 of my SUP progression was when I moved to where there was a good wave break, and learned to surf waves on a 10'4 surf-style sup. That was actually FUN, and it taught me stuff about waves that I was able to apply to my wave windsurfing.

Stage 3 started when I moved to the least windy, least-wavy coast I've ever lived on (SW Florida), and had to resort more and more to that "last resort" flatwater paddling. Finding a group of SUP racers in my town suddenly added a focused objective to the flatwater paddling, and made it 10x more interesting. I've since gotten fitter than ever, bought specialized 14' SUP raceboards, and done pretty well at races all over the state.

The only kind of SUP Kool-Aid that I haven't fully drunken is SUP downwinding, where you get dropped off upwind and ride wind chop and swells downwind, at about 1/3 the average speed of a windsurfer. It's much more logistically complicated and conditions-dependent than windsurfing or kiting, at least as dangerous, and no more thrilling. Other SUP paddlers RAVE about it, but that just makes me sad for them that they don't know how good it is with a sail. Smile

spennie

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can go on www.meetup.com and find an SUP club, or start one yourself, it makes flat-water SUP fun to chat with friends at the same time. Our club, the Channel Islands Paddlers, meets every Saturday in Oxnard and usually has between 8 to 25 people going out every week! One word of caution, some of the meetups will try to charge you just for going along, which is B.S., avoid them.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: