myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Selling all of our gear...
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
houfie

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 5:48 pm    Post subject: Selling all of our gear... Reply with quote

Hi! My knees are shot & my doc says no more windsurfing. I'm super sad, but it's been a GREAT run. My husband & I are getting rid of all of our gear, with great deals on EVERYTHING. If you are interested in anything, please e-mail me at nhbrown@gorge.net and I'll send more details plus a photo.
BOARDS: 85 liter F2 Style, 87 liter F2 Style, 103 liter F2 slalom (2 of them), 135 liter F2.
SAILS: 6.7, 6.2, 5.8, 5.4, 5.0, 4.7, 4.2, 4.0, 3.7 (all North)
MASTS: 380, 400, 430 (2), 460 (2)
BOOMS: 2 large, 1 small (Chinook)
HARNESSES: 2 seat, 2 waist, plus stretcher bars
FINS: 24, 25, 28 (2), 32, 37, plus a weed fin (some stock, some Curtis)
MAST EXTENSIONS: 3 (1 long)
HELMETS: 2
BOARD BAG
I hope that someone will enjoy our stuff as much as we did!

Last edited by houfie on Tue Aug 08, 2017 9:43 am; edited 1 time in total
isobars

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd consult with two or three docs first, especially including some who are avid athletes and at least one who windsurfs seriously. The rest of them have no clue how much our sport(s) mean to us. Look at the many athletes, including windsurfers, out there with artificial knees, hips, legs, etc. and tell them "it can't be done".

A dozen oncologists told me 14 years ago I'd be in dire straits by 2009, and another dozen told me 1 to 3 years ago my chemotherapy and hormone therapy would end my windsurfing. I began drafting my sales pitch like yours above, but decided first to try WSing on chemo. The treatments reduced my endurance on big Gorge days to only several hours a day, so I have a good excuse to cherry pick the wind. That ... and I can now go 5-6 days between shaves.

Five neurologists feared I'd be dead within 5 days ... in 1996.

I've had long conversations with two men who were given less than a year to live by one of the nation's top cancer research and treatment centers. One still plays tennis, the other still plays soccer. Their death sentences were issued 19 years ago.

When a renowned orthopedic surgeon told me in the 1980s that I had to have knee surgery, three other orthos called BS. I went with the latter, and until I broke one of them landing a 30-foot jump incorrectly in 2013, my knees were never better. When the surgeon that fixed THAT injury said, "No WSing for a year; you must not twist the knee", I said, "What about a strapless windSUP?"

"Hmmm ...", he said; "That's a GREAT idea. Let me know how it works out" I bought one, sailed it throughout 2014 including any and all full nuke days with the same sail sizes I'd normally use, and learned a lot of stuff useful on normal boards.

So far, I've proved 12-15 oncologists, 5 neurosurgeons, two sports medicine orthopedic surgeons, and countless GPs wrong on scores of issues*. The final authority, within some undefined reason, on what we can and cannot do is US, not some doctor who thinks old people are not salvageable because of how long ago they were born.

* Just one example is the ER doc who prescribed a dangerous, last-resort antibiotic for a reddened eyelid. I chose instead to stop using my usual brand of skin lotion. My eye was 100% fine within 48 hours.

Go talk to some more doctors. Study your condition and its options until you can debate them in depth with your surgeons. Buy some smoother-riding boards and find some smoother water. If you STILL believe it's time to sell all your gear, at least you were an informed and involved part of the decision and thus have no doubts about it.

Good luck, and, oh, yeah ... what's the weed fin?

Mike \m/
houfie

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Isobars -- Thank you for your kind, heartfelt, and passionate reply. Your story is inspirational. After surgeries on both knees from cycling, hiking and windsurfing accidents, it's just no fun anymore to get off the water and watch my knees swell to the size of cantaloupes. I'm trying to avoid the big one -- knee replacement -- because I firmly believe that minimal contact with hospitals is best. So it's PT every day, ibuprofen, knee brace for all activities, and thinking about some other sports. See you on the water somewhere.
isobars

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hear ya. But be careful with that ibuprofen; it can slow or even prevent healing. The natural chemical it suppresses is vital to healing. It (and/or ice) may get an athlete back in the game, but often at an awful cost.
rigatoni

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Isobars-I am usually quick to call you out on some of your posts but this one is by far your best advice so far.

I've been challenge by hip issues and a combination of alternative medicine (acupuncture, osteopathic massage, and yoga) have allowed me to keep windsurfing, skiing, and mountain biking.
I also believe that the athletics and maintaining activity in your life is key to your health.

Houfie-I'd also recommend researching both the Bowen Technique and Voila. There is a practitioner down here named Kevin Minney who has worked wonders with a number of local windsurfers and kitesurfers. It involves pressure points and structural alignment. It is nothing short of miraculous.
houfie

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Rigatoni -- Thank you for the suggestions. Where can I find these particular practitioners? (Do you have contact info?) I know exactly what my alignment issues are and would love to solve the underlying causes of my recurrent knee injuries if at all possible. Many thanks.
rigatoni

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 1:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here are a couple of links

https://www.americanbowen.academy/find-a-practitioner

http://www.physiocarecenter.com/seminars
Might be worth reaching out to Joel Crandall who developed the techniques.

Might also be worth doing some google searches for both Bowen Technique and Voila Therapy and see what comes up.

Don't sell your gear just yet.
cgoudie1

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I sail regularly with a woman who has had a knee replacement, and she rips.

Just an anecdotal reference,

-Craig

p.s. I totally get the "no fun any more" reference, and wish you good
fortune in whatever life brings you

houfie wrote:
Dear Isobars -- Thank you for your kind, heartfelt, and passionate reply. Your story is inspirational. After surgeries on both knees from cycling, hiking and windsurfing accidents, it's just no fun anymore to get off the water and watch my knees swell to the size of cantaloupes. I'm trying to avoid the big one -- knee replacement -- because I firmly believe that minimal contact with hospitals is best. So it's PT every day, ibuprofen, knee brace for all activities, and thinking about some other sports. See you on the water somewhere.

Last edited by cgoudie1 on Thu Aug 10, 2017 7:07 am; edited 1 time in total
awindwoman

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 3:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hit the CGWA swap with your gear. See other post. it's on 12 August... Entry fee to great cause, usually pretty good for sellers too.

PS- Any boards foil worthy? aka Deep Tuttle box? yeah-yeah, had to ask. Wink
houfie

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We will definitely be at the swap meet on Saturday. Just wanted to get a jump start. Everything will be dirt cheap!

Last edited by houfie on Fri Aug 11, 2017 4:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: