myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
There's flooding down in Texass
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Politics, Off-Topic, Opinions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mac

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2016 12:06 pm    Post subject: There's flooding down in Texass Reply with quote

Let's start with Stevie: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=m3159YIe2OU

So two years in a row we have extreme floods in Texas, the result of high intensity rain. What are the causes? It is likely that there are multiple causes, including the anti-regulatory culture that has not regulated development in risky areas.

One thoughtful analysis: http://www.texasmonthly.com/the-daily-post/houston-sustainable-flood-postmortem/

But high intensity rainfall is clearly the underlying cause: http://www.houstonchronicle.com/local/article/How-floods-compare-7330750.php

Even with multiple dams on the Brazos, flooding led to the loss of lives and major property damage two years in a row. It doesn't help that Houston is low lying, and that sea level is rising according to NOAA data.

But none of this could possibly have anything to do with climate change, and Texas and Florida governor's (Republicans by coincidence) will continue to ignore the underlying science.

[/list]
isobars

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2016 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DUH!

1. We all have TVs, newspapers, and/or carrier pigeons.

2. Texas has had catastrophic floods since Day One ... long before Adam and Eve.

3. Now for some actual NEWS:
a. Politicians lie.
b. The sun rises from a generally easterly direction.
c. Dogs bark, cats meow.

4. Let me guess: this week's flood is due to
GLOBAL WARMING

And, of course,

http://tinyurl.com/he8g642
mat-ty

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2016 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The earth is 4.5 billion years old(supposedly). We have maybe 200 years of reliable data.
Sounds like a pretty small sample to me, but the left wants us to believe it's settled science....NOT!!
MalibuGuru

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2016 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guys, I think I'm done with the two bullies Mac and Baja. I don't mind exchanging ideas with the other liberals and conservatives here. They are mostly respectful and intelligent. If we could only get those guys off the forum, this would be fun again.
nw30

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2016 12:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TEXAS FLOOD

Well it's floodin' down in Texas
All of the telephone lines are down
Well it's floodin' down in Texas
All of the telephone lines are down

And I've been tryin' to call my baby
Lord and I can't get a single sound

Well dark clouds are rollin' in
Man I'm standin' out in the rain
Well dark clouds are rollin' in
Man I'm standin' out in the rain

Yeah flood water keep a rollin'
Man it's about to drive poor me insane

Well I'm leavin' you baby
Lord and I'm goin' back home to stay
Well I'm leavin' you baby
Lord and I'm goin' back home to stay

Well back home there're no floods or tornadoes
Baby the sun shines every day

Songwriters
DAVIS, LARRY / SCOTT, JOSEPH W. 1955

Not a Stevie song, actually the song indicates that flooding there is nothing new or recent. I would have tried to find something better.
Maybe next time.
swchandler

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2016 3:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One wonders if in some future flood, hurricane or natural tragedy that nobody really gave a crap, and that the country turned a blind eye to disaster and those taken down from it.

Sometimes it seems that we are moving in that direction. What if the government wasn't there to help out, and insurance companies chose to weasel out on their obligations?
isobars

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2016 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nw30 wrote:
TEXAS FLOOD
<snip>
the song indicates that flooding there is nothing new or recent.

So does Googling historic Texas flooding.

The top of Mt. Everest is chilly.
The Texas coast is wet.
mac says that warmer temps at noon than at dawn = catastrophe.

Sorry, but those are not news. I'm guessing that mac has never camped at Corpus, where you have to run your bedding through a commercial dryer every second night because it's soaked ... even in March and April in non-El Nino years. Then in May it actually gets humid. I've seen "milk" (it's way past mere fog) and 98 degrees at midnight there in some of its drier months.

It's called local weather, not global climate.
jp5

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2016 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MalibuGuru wrote:
Guys, I think I'm done with the two bullies Mac and Baja. I don't mind exchanging ideas with the other liberals and conservatives here. They are mostly respectful and intelligent. If we could only get those guys off the forum, this would be fun again.

Well for starters you'll never convince them of your point of view and will more often than not be ridiculed for it. If the 5 or 6 individuals who regularly argue right ideology were to stop posting then those you mention and others like them would only have themselves to argue with. They would eventually lose interest and stop posting and iWindsurf would yank the Political forum like they should have done years ago.
nw30

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2016 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jpbassman wrote:
They would eventually lose interest and stop posting and iWindsurf would yank the Political forum like they should have done years ago.

Ah no, this is a free speech place like the other sports forums that I like to frequent, and they all have political threads as well.
The thing is, you or anyone else aren't forced to click on any political subject thread, that's up to you and nobody else.
The only thing the mods need to do is to close a thread if it gets too out of hand and personal, which was recently done, and deservedly so, but that's it. I wouldn't be surprised if the two who primarily caused it, got a PM warning, but who knows, it's not for me to know that, only them.
jp5

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2016 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Ah no, this is a free speech place like the other sports forums that I like to frequent, and they all have political threads as well. "

I certainly won't debate yours or anyone's right to free speech NW but if you want to be the proverbial one legged man at an ass kicking contest, be my guest.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Politics, Off-Topic, Opinions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: