myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Engraving and Marking Your Gear for Identification?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mamero

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 12:06 pm    Post subject: Engraving and Marking Your Gear for Identification? Reply with quote

After the resent theft of my gear I am thinking about engraving and marking EVERYTHING.

How many of you do this? What and where do you mark? What do you use?

I imagine using your driver's license number is a good idea?

I could get an engraver. In fact, I think my Dremel as an engraving bit. Things like extensions and booms should be straight forward to engrave. Boards already have unique serial numbers so, as long as you document them it should be good.

How and where do you mark masts? I am concerned if I use an engraver on the two pieces it could perhaps cause a week point? It would suck to have a mast break at the spot you engrave it.

How do you mark sails? They obviously cannot be engraved. Does one just use a waterproof Sharpie and write your license number in a discrete location? It breaks my heart to write on a beautiful new sail with a marker. Any other ideas for permanent identification on a sail?
kmf

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I write my name and phone # on the foot of all my sails with a permanent ink marker. Doesn't seem to effect the performance at all. I also write the mast base and harness line settings there as well. My name is also on my boards.

One doesn't have to do it in BIG CAPITAL LETTERS.....

KMF
carl

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If they want it, they will still steal even if its marked. Get insurance instead. Homeowner, car or renters insurance should cover, talk to your ins agent.
Ingraving carbon mast is a bad idea, it will weaken the mast.
Putting your phone number on sails is a good idea for a different reason:
In case you have to ditch the rig and swim in.
isobars

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A few ideas I've used:

Name and phone number w/magic marker on everything. I've gotten back stuff I lost, ditched, or sold months to years before (I've never faced a theft.)

Perhaps most important is a good antitheft system including a freaking LOUD alarm system with a pager. My early rooftop racks had sensors in the racks, and of course all my WSing vehicles have had ignition (and fuel pump and starter) kill switches. (On one of my vehicles, anyone who tries to start it while the kill switch is enabled gets an air horn blast instead of an engine turning over. I hope his head is under the dashboard when that happens.)

My first dedicated WSing van had concealed deadbolt locks on all doors. Even if they broke out the windows, they'd be unlikely to be able to open the doors.

For many years I lived in a state where citizens were allowed to shoot felons (which includes thieves) on sight even if they were running away or groveling on their knees. Self defense was not a requirement (I don't know whether they've altered that law since I moved away.) Of course, that's a heinous law ... unless it's your $#!+ being stolen.

Homeowner's or auto burglary insurance may replace one rig, but for a "significant" (each insurance company defines that in general or specific terms) loss each item must be registered and separately insured under something like a "sporting goods" rider. Don't take the agent's word for it; the written policy determines your fate.

Probably 15 of my boards are virtually uninsurable because they are irreplaceable at any price. Just TRY to find a 10-15-yo Mistral Syncro or Rogue Wave or AHD Maui Force in excellent condition ... or a newer board that sails as well. I've almost given up on that quest. Even my 2014s are extremely rare. Theft protection beats the hell out of insurance, IMO.
bred2shred

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As already stated, do not engrave any carbon component like a mast, boom, or base. You will weaken it.

Any engraving on the surface of a board could easily be sanded away or filled in and painted over. Plus if you go too deep (any deeper than the paint), you risk damaging the board. The only potential spots would be inside the mast track or fin box, but getting the engraving tool in there could be tough.

Sharpie marker could be used to mark sails, but it could also be just as easily used by someone else to black out any ID info you write.

I think insurance and prevention are probably your best approaches. Its also a good idea to take photos of your gear and record any serial numbers.

sm
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: