myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Mast track position and sail size on longboards
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
U2U2U2

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My mast track center is 145cm from the tail. On a 9'6" BIC AceTec Windsup.

I don't move it, I use 4.2 -- 6.0

I m not aware that ANY BIC windsup have footstraps, and if they did I would not position the mast base in relation to them.

http://www.k4fins.com/fins.html
http://4boards.co.uk/
DanWeiss

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2017 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

isobars wrote:
beaglebuddy wrote:
There is a specific measurement from mast base to center of front foot straps that works for getting into the foot straps while planing ... I think Zirtaeb suggested 22 inches from mast base to center of front straps

Where does that leave us poor schmucks who just get in whatever straps we choose at the moment, regardless of where they are, such as described above on the Malibu, just for the halibut?

Just trying to let strap newbies know that like everything else in this sport, there are very few hard and fast rules. There are many ways to get to and into them wherever they are. It's not rocket science, or millimeters, or magic, and the geometry of it all varies highly with many other factors including rider height and weight, hull shape and size, boom height, harness line length, posture, skill, confidence, sailing style and venue, and much more. If the geometry were cut and dried, we wouldn't need mast tracks, extra fin screw holes, or A-box fin slots.

I realize that many people here have very stiff joints, because they laugh at the idea of spreading their feet more than two feet apart. The rest of us have no problem comfortably spanning four or five feet ... a meter and a half ... with our feet, just one more reason there are so few fixed rules in this sport. Of the hundreds of boards of many scores of brands I've tested, only one felt like its straps were just not in synch with the hull geometry. On the other 299, I just stuck my feet wherever the straps were and went sailin'. Much of that was long before I was jibing, so it wasn't about superior skills. Much of it was also back in the day when a LOT of experimentation was going on, including putting straps on the front end of the board and sailing it backwards (the Logosz Spoon) to the Pickle Fork board with two noses. Experimentation continues in 2017, when some highly mainstream potato chip boards feel ridiculous underfoot to someone who has sailed the classic/traditional shapes for hundreds of thousands of miles.

I neither know nor care whether my front straps are 22 inches from my mast base. Besides, who's gonna move his straps just because he moved his mast base? OTOH, who's gonna move his mast base, period, once he finds his own sweet spot? (People will debate even that, proving once again that personal choice is a huge factor .)

Several hundred words to describe Mike's primary position that one can windsurf without adopting every suggestion coming one's way.

If someone seeks advice, a standard measurement may indeed address the reason that prompted that person's post. The world remains a jumble of adjustments. We learn that as kids. Stay off my lawn.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: