myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
The Gorge - First Trip
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mamero

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the tips so far everyone. Keep'm coming.

What are some essential places to eat at after a day on the water?
mamero

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It would seem the consensus is the western side of The Hook is the place to go. I really appreciate the feedback. We will head there for the first day and avoid the Event Site as you suggest.

Edit:

What is the wind direction usually at The Hook? On shore? Side Shore?

Some of you mentioned the Marina? I don't see this listed on the CGWA map. Is this where you mean?

https://goo.gl/maps/NxpiZE67bSF2

Where do you launch from at the Marina? From the Marina it looks like you would need to launch north directly into the channel?

Are there any fees at the Marina?
isobars

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sunday's (Sep 3) swap meet is on the waterfront one major building west of the Event Site, at the next launch site. The building is owned by and called Luhr-Jensen. The meet is in the parking lot west of the building. Sellers arrive and set up starting around 7 AM, and buyers walk in free a bit later ... theoretically at 8 AM. This is the last swap meet of the year, and no wants to hold onto gear all winter that they'd prefer to sell now. You will find hundreds of sails and scores of boards, ranging from toast to new, often at jaw-dropping prices.

It's not all just little Gorge gear; there are occasional longboards, big race boards, and big sails. By noon you'll find a growing pile of boards, booms, and sails piled up for the taking, free, simply because they went unsold at this and recent meets. There are often some very usable items in that pile. Even though HR swaps have shrunk by ... what ... 50%? ... over the past several years, they are still big by most locations' standards and if a buyer finds his Holy Grail for 5 cents on the dollar, who cares how big the rest of the meet is? Bring your cash, your bargaining skills, and something big enough to haul away all the loot you can't do without.

If you want one very specific brand, style, and color of equipment, don't hold your breath. Do some research, build a shopping list, and snap up any good deals on your list quickly, and you may walk away with a big grin on your face. Back when my list was long, I bought as few as zero and as many as seven short-list boards at one meet ... but then I could always sell them at the next meet to somebody else who valued their strong points more than I did. Who the heck wouldn't snap up 7 highly-researched, carefully selected, excellent-condition boards for a grand, then test drive and sort them out later IF he had a market for them at the next meet? Better yet, I've bought several boards that way that were individually well worth what those 7 boards cost all together.

There are rows of crates of "Smalls" ... harnesses, lines, bars, bases, accessories, wet suits, booties, and much more in and at the CGWA trailer. You can't miss it, as beside it lie some 50 boards of all sizes and shapes. Everything there is dirt cheap and all proceeds go to promote windsurfing in the gorge.

Mike \m/
isobars

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've eaten my main meal around dawn for many decades. That comes in particularly handy if the wind lasts until dark:thirty and I'm sailing at the far end of the Gorge (it's ~200 miles long) and I still have to de-rig and load up several rigs. My favorite breakfast spots are Bette's and the Egg River Cafe.
mamero

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

isobars wrote:
Sunday's (Sep 3) swap meet is on the waterfront one major building west of the Event Site, at the next launch site. The building is owned by and called Luhr-Jensen. The meet is in the parking lot west of the building. Sellers arrive and set up starting around 7 AM, and buyers walk in free a bit later ... theoretically at 8 AM. This is the last swap meet of the year, and no wants to hold onto gear all winter that they'd prefer to sell now. You will find hundreds of sails and scores of boards, ranging from toast to new, often at jaw-dropping prices.

It's not all just little Gorge gear; there are occasional longboards, big race boards, and big sails. By noon you'll find a growing pile of boards, booms, and sails piled up for the taking, free, simply because they went unsold at this and recent meets. There are often some very usable items in that pile. Even though HR swaps have shrunk by ... what ... 50%? ... over the past several years, they are still big by most locations' standards and if a buyer finds his Holy Grail for 5 cents on the dollar, who cares how big the rest of the meet is? Bring your cash, your bargaining skills, and something big enough to haul away all the loot you can't do without.

If you want one very specific brand, style, and color of equipment, don't hold your breath. Do some research, build a shopping list, and snap up any good deals on your list quickly, and you may walk away with a big grin on your face. Back when my list was long, I bought as few as zero and as many as seven short-list boards at one meet ... but then I could always sell them at the next meet to somebody else who valued their strong points more than I did. Who the heck wouldn't snap up 7 highly-researched, carefully selected, excellent-condition boards for a grand, then test drive and sort them out later IF he had a market for them at the next meet? Better yet, I've bought several boards that way that were individually well worth what those 7 boards cost all together.

There are rows of crates of "Smalls" ... harnesses, lines, bars, bases, accessories, wet suits, booties, and much more in and at the CGWA trailer. You can't miss it, as beside it lie some 50 boards of all sizes and shapes. Everything there is dirt cheap and all proceeds go to promote windsurfing in the gorge.

Mike \m/

Awesome info. Thanks! I'll certainly want to check this swap meet out. What are general price ranges like? Just so I have a ball park figure of what to bring.
mamero

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On Windance's site there is mention of a Season Ender Party. What's the story on this?

"Season Ender Party, Windance parking lot. FREE beer, bands & bbq Saturday Sept 2nd 6-9pm"

http://www.windance.com/Swap-Meets-41/
cgoudie1

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The area between the Hook and Wells island is great for waterstart practice,
and out of the main channel as mentioned. You might also try the Dalles
River Front park. If you stay between the park and the island, you'll be out of the barge lane, and it is shallow for a way out, nice grassy rigging, and a pleasant park as opposed to the Hook which is somewhat barren. Viento
has it's moments, but the river takes a wild turn there, and the wind is almost always gusty and shifty. The Marina is very safe.

It takes about 2 days to realize you want to live here ;*)

-Craig
cgoudie1

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Always a festive time, and just as advertised. Free burgers, hotdogs, and beer, how can you go wrong, I will say it's not a particularly youthful crowd,
(other than the band) but then I'm no spring chicken myself. Be prepared for lines.

-Craig

mamero wrote:
On Windance's site there is mention of a Season Ender Party. What's the story on this?

"Season Ender Party, Windance parking lot. FREE beer, bands & bbq Saturday Sept 2nd 6-9pm"

http://www.windance.com/Swap-Meets-41/
isobars

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Prices are all over the map. Some sellers don't get it that it's the market/the buyers, not the seller, that determines the prices. Others just want to get rid of their gear at whatever price it takes. Prices will range from near new price to 3% of original cost, sometimes even in similar condition. Guess which sells? Old stuff is cheap even if it's like new and sails better than most current gear. I'd pay $1,000 for some boards I bought for $50, and have seen boards I wouldn't pay $50 for go for 10-20 times that. It all depends on how badly an individual buyer wants it and how little a seller will take. I lose a few bucks reselling some boards (which is fine; I buy 'em to test and use them, not to resell them), and I made a 400% profit a month later on one board (we both got good deals).

Go there, price your items very low, and quickly walk around and scope the competition. I've thus taken some of my stuff off the market simply because I'll cook and eat a like-new carbon boom before I'll sell it for $175. One idea: go into Windance, check out their prices on used boards and sails, and compete with them. (Their consignment gear prices are set by the individual sellers, some of whom want very high prices. If such a board is on my Holy Grail list, I'll pay whatever it takes, but that's my decision.) OTOH, the CGWA gear sells so cheaply that it depresses the whole market. It's good for the environment and for Gorge windsurfing, but rough on sellers.
cgoudie1

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's a lot of good food in Hood River, and it can be cheap or expensive.
The Hood River taqueria on 13th is cheap and good. I also like the Puerto De Angeles 3, but maybe that's just happy hour memories. Brian's Poor house is moderate and good. Horse Feathers is expensive and good (and the service
is always slow, but the view is phenomenal). Try the Full Sail Brewery
for limited but tasty food and beers. The Double Mountain gets pretty festive in the evening if you can tolerate bar food. Try the Three Rivers for lunch (kind or expensive for dinner). Andrews pizza is good for people watching. Breakfast at Bette's is always good, and I'm also fond of The Riverside restaurant in the Best Western at HR. Maybe a little institutional, but still tasty and good for breakfast with a nice river view. You might try Dirty Fingers for a little local flavor breakfast and bike talk. The Cebu lounge off
the Riverside has a pretty good happy hour also with premium prices on drinks and barfood that's very good (try the clams).

That should keep you busy for a week, but if you want to branch out
there are good eats here and there up and down the river. Also mucho wine tasting if that's your thing.

PM me if that's not enough.

-Craig

mamero wrote:
Thanks for the tips so far everyone. Keep'm coming
What are some essential places to eat at after a day on the water?

Last edited by cgoudie1 on Mon Aug 28, 2017 12:07 am; edited 1 time in total
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 2 of 8

Jump to: