myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
The Gorge - First Trip
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mamero

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cgoudie1 wrote:
That should keep you busy for a week, but if you want to branch out there are good eats here and there up and down the river. Also mucho wine tasting if that's your thing.

PM me if that's not enough.

-Craig

Thanks Craig. We're only down for a couple nights so that should more than keep us busy. Very Happy
mamero

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

isobars wrote:
Sunday's (Sep 3) swap meet is on the waterfront one major building west of the Event Site, at the next launch site. The building is owned by and called Luhr-Jensen. The meet is in the parking lot west of the building. Sellers arrive and set up starting around 7 AM, and buyers walk in free a bit later ... theoretically at 8 AM...

...There are rows of crates of "Smalls" ... harnesses, lines, bars, bases, accessories, wet suits, booties, and much more in and at the CGWA trailer. You can't miss it, as beside it lie some 50 boards of all sizes and shapes.

Mike \m/

Please forgive my poor directions. Where exactly is Luhr-Jensen and the CGWA Trailor in relation?

When I search "Luhr-Jensen Hood River" on google maps I get two possibilities. 1. Luhr-Jensen Beach. 2. Luhr-Jensen & Sons. Two different spots both with their own parking lot.
cgoudie1

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 6:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Use Google maps to find the area between the Hood River Waterfront Park (Luhr-Jensen Beach is part of the Hood River Waterfront Park), and the Turtle
Island Foods Warehouse. That will be the parking lot where the swap is. It is directly East of the HR Waterfront park in a 1/2dirt, and 1/2 paved parking lot. The CGWA trailer will be obvious.

-Craig

mamero wrote:

Please forgive my poor directions. Where exactly is Luhr-Jensen and the CGWA Trailor in relation?

When I search "Luhr-Jensen Hood River" on google maps I get two possibilities. 1. Luhr-Jensen Beach. 2. Luhr-Jensen & Sons. Two different spots both with their own parking lot.
PeterRhonda

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We take our beginner friends to the Marina. Turn west at the first intersection south of the Hood River Toll bridge and veer left instead of turning into the Port of Hood River parking. Turn right when you hit the end of the asphalt and drive past the restrooms. There's a little cove beach you can launch from. You may need to walk out a bit to get deep enough water but the advantage is you can sail out half a mile and still be standing.

If you're learning to waterstart, stop your drift downwind when you get chest deep and walk it back upwind until you're thigh deep. Repeat.

Local knowledge helps a bit to figure out where the drop-off is.

It's flat water and great for carve gybes but it's a lot more holey than the main sailing sites.
mamero

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cgoudie1 wrote:
Use Google maps to find the area between the Hood River Waterfront Park (Luhr-Jensen Beach is part of the Hood River Waterfront Park), and the Turtle
Island Foods Warehouse. That will be the parking lot where the swap is. It is directly East of the HR Waterfront park in a 1/2dirt, and 1/2 paved parking lot. The CGWA trailer will be obvious.

-Craig

mamero wrote:

OK, I see it now. It's here:
https://goo.gl/maps/ddeJjSuXrip

Now that I have my bearings, where is the CGWA Trailer in relation to this parking lot?
mamero

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PeterRhonda wrote:
We take our beginner friends to the Marina. Turn west at the first intersection south of the Hood River Toll bridge and veer left instead of turning into the Port of Hood River parking. Turn right when you hit the end of the asphalt and drive past the restrooms. There's a little cove beach you can launch from. You may need to walk out a bit to get deep enough water but the advantage is you can sail out half a mile and still be standing.

If you're learning to waterstart, stop your drift downwind when you get chest deep and walk it back upwind until you're thigh deep. Repeat.

Local knowledge helps a bit to figure out where the drop-off is.

It's flat water and great for carve gybes but it's a lot more holey than the main sailing sites.

Thank you for the info PeterRhonda. I'm thinking the hook for day 1 and Marina for day 2.
westender

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2017 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We can all go down there to shout instructions. Cross your fingers for wind. What's your shopping list???
isobars

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2017 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The CGWA trailer and gear dominate the swap meet and the parking lot. Find the building, the swap meet, the CGWA stuff, or the parking lot and you've found the whole kit and kaboodle. This is the parking lot, and the camera is facing NE. It will probably be crowded with gear Sun Sep 3 AM, and the CGWA stuff will fill the parking lot entrance just off-camera to the right:
mamero

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2017 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

westender wrote:
We can all go down there to shout instructions.

LOL. Yeah come on by and say hello. It would be great to meet some of you on here either at the Hook/Marina, Windance party, or Swap Meet. I'm not sure how we'll recognize each other but I'm sure there is a way.

westender wrote:
What's your shopping list???

I've put together a pretty extensive list of a things I "could" use.

Small Carbon boom 135-185. Maybe 150-200.
Sailworks Revo. +/- 4.5
Sailworks Retro: 8.0 and/or 8.5 OR Sailworks NX: 7.8 and/or 8.6.
Shorty SDM US extensions. 12cm
400/430 and maybe a 490 mast.
Regular RDM extensions if I end up finding RDM masts.
FUTURA 111-124 (114 ideal) and/or newer Carve 121 if I'm lucky! These would be awesome to find
Other miscellaneous "Stuff"...

With the exception of the small boom and a 400 mast, most of these items are "wants", not needs. Meaning, unless I find something I could use at a price that makes me feel REALLY warm and squishy I don't need to buy. My wife will insure this is the case. Very Happy
mamero

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2017 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

isobars wrote:
The CGWA trailer and gear dominate the swap meet and the parking lot. Find the building, the swap meet, the CGWA stuff, or the parking lot and you've found the whole kit and kaboodle. This is the parking lot, and the camera is facing NE. It will probably be crowded with gear Sun Sep 3 AM, and the CGWA stuff will fill the parking lot entrance just off-camera to the right:

Great. Thanks for the info isobars!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 3 of 8

Jump to: