myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Let's improve our small board quick tack aka fast tack
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ctuna

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You pretty much have to sneak around the mast.
For me I am more likely to end up on the center line
on the opposite side with the board flat if I start of
with my toes close to the center line before the change
which also helps me hold the carve upwind easier.
fxop

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks all of you for your tips. They all make sense.

When I watch somebody effortlessly tacking his way back into the lineup the following story comes to mind:

When Einstein was developing the General Theory of Relativity, he needed the recently developed tensor calculus, which he learned from Tullio Levi-Civita's textbook. Later the two men corresponded, and Levi-Civita helped further.

Einstein wrote, "I admire the elegance of your method of computation; it must be nice to ride through these fields upon the horse of true mathematics while the like of us have to make our way laboriously on foot".

I guess we can all find someone to envy.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tullio_Levi-Civita
kevinkan

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

one of the keys is not to move your body around the mast. your feet need to switch positions and stay close to the center line and you don't want your body to get way off the centerline either. make the sail/mast move around you, not the other way around
https://www.instagram.com/sunsetsailboards
http://www.facebook.com/sunsetsailboards
GURGLETROUSERS

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2017 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The older, the more puzzling it becomes to understand what continually generates the drive and associated enthusiasm to keep windsurfing. You'd think it would die off with too much familiarity - but quite the opposite!

This thread set me thinking off the things I automatically avoid. i.e. full planing tacks on wave boards. never tried one, and never wished to. I only ever did slow speed wave board tacks in non threatening conditions, and only about 1 in 4 of those were ever successful, because I adapted the wrong technique. (Long board grabbing the mast, leaning right back, pushing with the back foot to lever board about, and only jumping across at the last moment just before crashing back into the water.) (Well, it worked for me.)

So I tried a planing tack on my cross 94 today, with the inevitable result. Major pile up! But I was insanely chuffed because a) I like water, b) the sun was shining and the spray produced a pretty little rainbow. (They don't tell you those points in any technique class I've heard of!)

But always chasing new techniques does raise the obvious point that once a persons learning limit has been reached, what then? Without that inner and continually generated (in us fortunate ones) drive and enthusiasm to simply continue windsurfing regardless of level, don't they just leave, and take up something else? With that enthusiasm I can get as much satisfaction from pootling about on the old longboard on a lightwind nice sunny day, as on a more hectic 4.7 B and J session.

Blowed if I understand what generates this obsession - but thank goodness it still DOES!
manuel

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2017 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lots of good info here. It just takes time to develop that subtle footing. No secret here, repetition and maybe trying things, changing up the footing to understand what happens.

I like to think that I'm switching over the mast foot, this helps me think to stay back and lean that sail back. I think leaning forward too much by going around and in front the mast foot is source of many problems finishing off the move. It still happens to me especially when I get tired.

Going over the mast foot feels weird at first but has increased my chances of success.

PS: The board is not a sinker, it does nose dive and tilts very easily, it's a technical board to slog at 220cm length and 54.5cm wide.

PPS: Even if a tack wins 2-3 yards over the jibe, it's that many more yards to be upwind of the peak of a wave. It's also interesting to notice that PWA wave sailors tack at Pozo even when they have so much wind! I will jibe when quite powered up though if I'm upwind enough.

ctuna

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2017 12:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=2&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwi0yr7kr5fWAhWpj1QKHXffBJIQtwIILjAB&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DWMyKOoEtFOw&usg=AFQjCNGSaMzih-dcZB26iw8k_H1nivr5Kw
And yet another one.

I like Kevins Zen comment the sail must move around you.
philodog

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2017 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don`t think of moving the sail around me, I think of it as switching places with the sail once my front foot is up by the mast. At this point I am where the sail will end up at the end of the tack and the sail is where I will eventually end up. The key is moving both (the sail and your body) at the same time to keep everything in balance. We both cross the centerline at the same time . Many people learning shortboard tacks throw their body around the mast and then struggle to move the sail or just fall backwards because now both sail and body are on the same side.
PeconicPuffin

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2017 7:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a thought that I haven't seen posted yet. I learned this from Jason Voss when he was teaching with ABK: Tacking is a "twitch" move...you just do it all at once, and you either make it or you don't. It's quick, and requires full commitment.

If I think too much on a small board, I'm getting wet. I just go fast, trying to keep my feet light and precise. Agreed with Philodog that its (mostly) just getting to the other side.

Early, quick, and backwinded.

techno900

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2017 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My most frequent issue is getting stuck on the other side. I can move quick enough, but once on the other side, I fail to move my weight back (front foot stays by the mast base) and the nose sinks. I Just have to focus.
ctuna

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2017 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't been able or tried to do this much yet but if I can
get around while still planning(maybe on a beam reach or just slightly upwind)
and get back winded in control while still planing it offers the opportunity to either tack or backwind jibe.
Getting the back foot back fast is good but being able to backwind helps
a lot to.

The following seems like and extreme example.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uRvI6HoD3GI
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 5 of 8

Jump to: