myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
The Southern Poverty Law Center

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Politics, Off-Topic, Opinions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mac

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2017 12:21 pm    Post subject: The Southern Poverty Law Center Reply with quote

Two of the most rabid righties on the forum have disparaged the Southern Policy Law Center, SPLC. My first response is to send them a check. My second is to urge others to do so, and post an explanation that rebuts the typical gybe/Isobars nonsense.

Let’s start with their mission:
The Southern Poverty Law Center is dedicated to fighting hate and bigotry and to seeking justice for the most vulnerable members of our society.

The SPLC has documented over 900 hate groups active in the US as of 2016; how appropriate that they are located in Alabama, where Isobars noticed nothing unusual about segregation while growing up.

There is, to be sure, a context for the SPLC and in particular, documentation of the violence and vile nature of the Ku Klux Klan. Slavery is this nation’s original sin and great shame, the peculiar institution that was blatantly inconsistent with the principles of the founders. Even after slavery convulsed this country in the most violent war in its history, white supremacists have continued their efforts to deny equal rights to African-Americans, to this very day. Segregation and denial of voting rights was enforced by the KKK, a truly home-grown terrorist organization. Between 1882 and 1968, 4,743 people were lynched in this country, 3,446 of them black. Lynching primarily occurred in the South, and was rarely punished. The objective was to prevent blacks, particularly in the south, from acquiring either economic or political power. As a result, when the civil rights movement targeted segregation and voting rights, in the run-up to the Selma march in 1965 and the Voting Rights Act, black people compromised 80% of the population of Lowndes County, Alabama—yet none were able to vote. Violent suppression of voting and civil rights was actively supported by Southern governments; Jimmy Lee Jackson, one of those murdered for trying to register vote was shot by a police officer. (Source: “At Canaans Edge”)
The civil rights movement had to rely on the Federal government as the only countervailing force strong enough to resist the organized and state sponsored violence in the South. The police in Selma were responsible for viciously beating African-Americans who tried to march across Pettus Bridge, and only a court order and the National Guard enabled the march to go forward. But there were at least two murders by the KKK, James Reeb, a minister from Boston was killed by a club as 4 white southerners assaulted 3 ministers on the streets of Selma. Viola Liuzzo was murdered by a shot from a car full of Klan’s members while driving. You can see detailed stories of people murdered trying to achieve basic civil rights for blacks here: https://www.splcenter.org/what-we-do/civil-rights-memorial/civil-rights-martyrs

41 names are listed on the Civil Rights Memorial in Montgomery, Alabama, designed by a minority, Maya Lin, who also created the Vietnam Memorial, as victims of violence during the civil rights movement.

The South resisted the Voting Rights Act of 1965, as they had the Supreme Court ruling in Brown v. Board of Education. Today, thanks in part to the “school choice” movement, schools in much of the south remain segregated and unequal. Today, as a conscious strategy to prevent loss of political power as white people become a minority across the south, Republicans use the idea of “voter fraud” to disenfranchise minority voters.

In this context, the rebirth of the KKK, and its tacit support by a racist president, is a chilling event. Anyone who watched videos of white nationalists carrying Confederate flags, KKK signs, and torches chanting “Jews will not replace us” that doesn’t see this as the rebirth of an extraordinary hate group is just not paying attention.

Perhaps those raised in England, or who were oblivious to the violence that enforced segregation in Alabama are just ignorant, and have no understanding of the advice of Santayana. For the rest of us, you can send a check to the SPLC at 400 Washington Avenue, Montgomery, AL, 36104.
nw30

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Add me to your stupid list of haters mac, which in itself is nothing but a weak attempt at deflection of where the hate really is.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Muslim Reformer Joins Christians in Suing Far-Left Terror-Linked Organization for 'Hate' Defamation
By Tyler O'Neil August 28, 2017

The Southern Poverty Law Center (SPLC) has long listed Christian organizations and activists for reform in the Muslim world along with racists like the Ku Klux Klan. The SPLC's "hate group" lists and "hate map" have unfairly targeted mainstream conservatives, and even some liberals. Now, some of the groups slandered by this organization have begun to fight back — and it's not just Christian groups like D. James Kennedy Ministries and Liberty Counsel.
"The SPLC, who made their money suing the KKK, were set up to defend people like me, but now they've become the monster that they claimed they wanted to defeat," Maajid Nawaz, a British politician and founder of the anti-Islamist organization the Quilliam foundation, declared in a video announcing his lawsuit against the SPLC for defamation.
"They have named me, alongside Ayaan Hirsi Ali, on a list of 'Anti-Muslim Extremists,'" Nawaz said. "I am suing the SPLC for defamation and I need your help to win."

In June, the charity navigation website GuideStar adopted the SPLC "hate group" list, marking each profile of the targeted organizations as a "hate group." ABC and NBC  parroted the SPLC's "hate group" label against Alliance Defending Freedom (ADF) last month, and CNN published the group's "hate map" online.
The "hate" list features Christian organizations like the Family Research Council (FRC), Liberty Counsel, the American Family Association (AFA), and Alliance Defending Freedom (ADF), along with other groups like the American College of Pediatricians and the Center for Immigration Studies.

The group also attacked Ayaan Hirsi Ali, a woman's rights activist who has focused on the treatment of women in the Islamic world. Ali has received many death threats, one of which came after the murder of Theo van Gogh, a Dutch filmmaker she worked with.
Rod Dremer, Israel's ambassador to the U.S., called Ali "one of the world's greatest champions of freedom, pluralism, and tolerance." Chillingly, he added, "Yet in an Orwellian version of reality, a woman whose life is threatened every day by extremist Muslims is labeled by the SPLC an anti-Muslim extremist."

The Islamic State (ISIS) seeks to establish a global Muslim kingdom across the whole world, and it is an expression of this Islamist ideology. Nawaz has dedicated his life to opposing this version of political Islam, and the SPLC is attacking him for speaking the truth.
This reformer tackled head-on the problem that the Quran talks about husbands beating their wives, and declared that true reform "begins by acknowledging the problem exists."

The reformer attacked the SPLC's hypocrisy: "They arrogate to themselves the right to speak out against their own Bible belt, but don't want me to criticize our Quran belt within my own community?"
"I've memorized half of the Quran, I am a Muslim, I am born and raised a Muslim, I learned classical Arabic, I've spent time in prison," he declared.
Chillingly, he concluded by emphasizing the horrendous effects of "hate" lists like those put out by the SPLC. "You know who else lists heretics? The jihadists."
"We know what happens when you list heretics among Muslims in this way: They end up dead," Nawaz declared. The chilling stories of Theo van Gogh, Steve Scalise, and the FRC shooting suggest this is not hyperbole, but a statement of fact.

The SPLC should be ashamed of itself for inspiring such violence on specious grounds. CNN, Apple, J.P. Morgan, and George Clooney should all be ashamed of themselves. Any American who can should find the ability to contribute to Maajid Nawaz's crowdfunding effort, and help combat the spread of Left-wing hate spewing from the SPLC.

There's more w/ the vids~
https://pjmedia.com/faith/2017/08/28/muslim-reformer-joins-christians-in-suing-far-left-terror-linked-organization-for-hate-defamation/
mac

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As usual, NW cites a suspect source and ignores the actual facts. https://mediabiasfactcheck.com/pj-media/

But by copying from a whacko source, you usually avoid spelling mistakes. Congratulations. You now get to repeat PJMedia's mistakes.
MalibuGuru

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SPLC are terrorists. They need justice, but thanks to Soros and multinational globalist they live.
real-human

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MalibuGuru wrote:
SPLC are terrorists. They need justice, but thanks to Soros and multinational globalist they live.

You are so deranged it is unreal... do you run from your dark shadow you cast...

Hey, you still back the Pizzagate conspiracy or the Obama is not an American? Take the tin foil off your head a few hours a day, you are suffocating...

note it is a lawsuit trump by himself was involved in over 4000.... the right wingers have the majority of money so they file frivolous lawsuits all the time, daaaa.

Last edited by real-human on Tue Aug 29, 2017 4:14 pm; edited 2 times in total
nw30

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As usual mac source bashes as opposed to proving them wrong, and what source does mac use? The SPL Center itself, what a joke.
mac

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll have to send them another check. Someone's got to keep tabs on the 900 plus hate groups that keep sending NW and Malibu talking points.
real-human

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nw30 wrote:
As usual mac source bashes as opposed to proving them wrong, and what source does mac use? The SPL Center itself, what a joke.

source, ya you love the KGB and trolls. Do you still buy your pizza from Pizzagate... a friggen general that was in charge of terrorism was so stupid that he could not even tell Pizzagate was not real. Ya the Jones et all network of lies and liars who repeat them.

Not one person fired for such lies....

same with Fox, for their lies not one person fired... it took massive rapes for 40 years before anyone was fired for raping america by fox.

nw30

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mac: "For the rest of us, you can send a check to the SPLC at 400 Washington Avenue, Montgomery, AL, 36104."

mac: "I'll have to send them another check. Someone's got to keep tabs on the 900 plus hate groups that keep sending NW and Malibu talking points."

That's great mac, but just so you know, your money ends up someplace else.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The Southern Poverty Law Center Has $69 Million Parked Overseas
The civil rights group best known for its 'hate map' has investments across the globe, including in the Caymans, British Virgin Islands, and Bermuda.
12:02 PM, Sep 06, 2017 | By Jeryl Bier

http://www.weeklystandard.com/the-southern-poverty-law-center-has-69-million-parked-overseas/article/2009553
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
But instead of just source bashing, which I expect, try to prove the story wrong, even though it would require a bit more work on your part. I know, I know, "it's hard".
mac

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

True or not, a diversion. Name a single business that Trump is involved in that uses American employees and pays them a living wage.

I'll send them another check. Let's see of Trump has sent in the million he promised.

Tony Soprano.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Politics, Off-Topic, Opinions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: