myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Windsurfing spots in Santa Cruz county
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
igor.prikhodko

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 12:03 pm    Post subject: Windsurfing spots in Santa Cruz county Reply with quote

I'm visiting and staying with a friend in Santa Cruz and was wondering where are the windsurfing spots there? I brought 100L board and 5.0m sail with me and so far I've heard about Natural Bridges beach. Is it a good option? I've sailed already in SF Bay but it's just too far drive.
windward1

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Igor,
Probably the four best places for you would be:
1. Waddell Creek Beach - Up the coast just before San Mateo County. Big kiting and windsurfing spot.
2. Davenport Landing - Up the coast about a mile past the town of Davenport. Great windsurfing spot
3. Natural Bridges - West side of Santa Cruz. Park people want us to launch near the rock edge opposite of where the Natural Bridge is. It is a popular beach for regular beach goers so you may have to request room to launch from folks there.
4. Its Beach - Opposite side of the lighthouse from Steamers Lane where the surfers are.

Look at iwindsurf to choose the best location for any given day. No wind meters at Davenport or Its, so you would have to guess at what is going on there based on the other meters. Waddell has an iwindsurf meter right their up on the hill. A lot of time the water surface windspeed is only 60% of the meter reading. For Natural Bridges use the Long Marine Laboratory meter. It reads approximately what it is outside. It will be somewhat less near shore.

Enjoy Santa Cruz.
ctuna

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Natural bridges requires a weed fin unless you are flawless
(Look for the kelp and the kelp channel .)
at tacking and can read the surface really well.
Today I would try Waddel.

http://www.poulton.net/windsurf/windsurf.html
igor.prikhodko

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks a lot for all the suggestions. I think I'll try Waddell Beach tomorrow, or even today if the wind holds until sunset...
ctuna

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Each of the places in the Santa Cruz area has its own set of special
conditions like any where else.(weak wind on the inside or off the beach)
1)Natural Bridges and Davenport have land shadow on the inside
most of the time.
2)If the wind dies at Natural Brides or Davenport and you go on a
downwinder there is mostly nothing but cliffs to come in to.
3)Heavy Kelp to navigate at Natural Bridges.
4)It's Beach doesn't blow that much anymore and the wind comes and
leaves early . It takes a really heavy wind to make this place go .
5)Waddell has wind on the inside easy Beach launch but heavy traffic
with it being a very popular kiting beach. Go to the North or far end
parking or far end of the parking lot to get info from the locals.
There are a few submerged rocks to avoid. Most of the Windsurfers
will be at the far end.

Last edited by ctuna on Thu Aug 31, 2017 1:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
ShreddinEd

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Waddell's the best option for a newbie. It has a nice wide open beach, so downwind situations are not really a problem. Only downside is lots of kiters.

The other options have their issues as others have mentioned, but specifically, if you get downwind at some of the spots (e.g. Davenport), you might need to be professionally rescued since there's nothing but cut off beaches and cliffs, especially at high tide. We've had a few rescues at those places this summer and in the last couple years, but none that I'm aware of at Waddell.
igor.prikhodko

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yesterday I went to Waddelle Creek beach and wasn't disappointed. I rarely go to the waves but this time was epic. I can't believe how great was it to ride the waves. Of course my freestyle sail (NS Idol) with monofilm got beat up pretty badly but it was totally worth it. The bottom line I'm moving to Santa Cruz! Lol

download_20170830_221102.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  398.26 KB
 Viewed:  25128 Time(s)

download_20170830_221102.jpg

ctuna

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice Waddel was one of the few places that blew yesterday and the day
before. If you need sail repair there is Davenport Surf Sail in Davenport.
gerritt

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Be aware that yesterday and the day before were really not proper wave days, but really were simply short period wind swell breaking onto the sand. Fall is coming and soon there will be proper ground swell. Once the wave period extends, the power of the waves increase exponentially and you can get into trouble quickly.

If you don't know about wave period, wave rules, how to water start in seconds, and how to duck dive your rig, be sure to study and watch before simply charging out there. Consider taking up surfing. Go on line. Ask a local. Be safe. Be smart. Be tenacious. And, be ready to sacrifice your gear as you move through the leaning curve.

Welcome to the waves. Your sailing will improve immensely as you master the pinnacle of the sport.
igor.prikhodko

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually I was wondering if the wave conditions yesterday were regular. If you're saying they were pretty mild then I was just lucky that day and indeed I have to learn wave sailing. So far I've been focusing on forward loops and this is the perfect place. There was a professional windsurfer yesterday doing forward loops and it was awesome. But coming from freestyle experience I have no knowledge about waves. I've never been a surfer although I wish I was. So where do I check for wave period, wave rules, and how to duck dive your rig? YouTube links? Iwindusrf only provides wind directions and speed. What websites are out there for wave info? By the way where would you go today for windsurfing? Waddelle shows little to no wind but Natural Bridges looks like it's rising.

Screenshot_20170831-100336.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  449.54 KB
 Viewed:  25084 Time(s)

Screenshot_20170831-100336.jpg

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: