myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Eagle Creek Fire in Cascade Locks
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kmf

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2017 11:02 pm    Post subject: Eagle Creek Fire in Cascade Locks Reply with quote

Here is a pix taken at 8:40 pm on Monday evening from Stevenson looking at Cascade Locks. Fire was started by teenagers with firecrackers....

http://whereinthegorge.com/MtHood.TV_LatestImage.jpg

I-84 is closed, fire is headed west toward Mult. Falls.....

KMF
westender

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2017 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We cross posted so I removed the pic from the first thread. Looks like Hell.
WMP

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Needless to say, I'm very upset that this destruction was the result of someone setting off fireworks. It was just a matter of time before something like this was going to happen. It has to do with lack of law enforcement and permissiveness for people like my neighbor to shoot off his illegal fireworks in front of a cheering crowd (including the Skamania County Commissioners)... it gives our young people the wrong message, that they can go out and shoot off fireworks anytime and any place they wish.

Such is the condition we are living in within this crazy world today.

I've got several videos of illegal fireworks in the Gorge on the Summer Solstice taken from my backyard last year.
FYI.... I filed several complaints with Skamania County Sheriff, although nothing was done. I also spoke with the Forest Service, Friends of the Gorge, Conservation Corp, etc, etc. I have been trying to stop these illegal fireworks violations for a very long time and nobody cared to listen.
windfind

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Gang,

Here is a time lapse video of the massive destruction of some of the most beautiful parts of the Gorge as seen from Bobs Beach in Stevenson.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XQ7JTxYNWt4

Mike Godsey
Jim.od3

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Our beloved Gorge will be a different place for the rest of our lives (at least in the vicinity of Cascade Locks). So sad and angry.
jgda

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think these kids and their parents should be doing trail rebuilding and tree planting for the rest of their lives. Several adults actually saw the kids setting off fireworks and said something to them to no avail. They were throwing smoke bombs off steep cliffs where no one could get to make sure they were extinguished.
windfind

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Coast Guard closes Columbia River east of Portland due to area forest fires
Sep 5th, 2017 · 0 Comment
WARRENTON, Ore. — In response to impacts of the Eagle Creek Fire in Central Oregon, the Coast Guard Captain of the Port for the Columbia River established a safety zone Tuesday closing the river to all vessel traffic east of Portland from mile marker 126 to 146.

The safety zone, placed in effect at 4:30 p.m., is in effect through the night to protect personnel, vessels and the marine environment from potential hazards created by falling hot ash and firefighting aircraft landing on the river.

The section of the Columbia River was closed after the Captain of the Port deemed that it was unsafe for all vessels to transit the river from Reed Island to the Bonneville Dam. The river is being actively used as a source of water by airborne firefighting activities and the closure will allow response aircraft to operate in a safer environment without vessels on the water.

The Coast Guard is alerting all mariners about the safety zone through a safety marine information broadcast on marine VHF radio channels 16 and 22A. Entry of vessels or persons into the safety zone is prohibited unless specifically authorized by the Captain of the Port.

If there are any concerns about the status of the safety zone, mariners should contact Sector Columbia River Command Center at 503-861-6211.

There are no commercial vessels impacted by the river closure at this time. The Captain of the Port will reevaluate the need of the safety zone Wednesday morning
Gorgekiteboy

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 10:50 am    Post subject: Fire Reply with quote

What an act of stupidity. The kids responsible for the fire and their parents should be put into servitude for the rest of their lives. Also, they should not be allowed to breed any more idiots.

My heart goes out to all the folks impacted by this fire....

K
wynsurfer

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Justice is served! Boy who started fires fined $36,000,000 From NPR News:

https://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way/2018/05/22/613374984/judge-orders-boy-who-started-oregon-wildfire-to-pay-36-million-in-restituti
ldhr

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lets pretend the kid starts work at age 20 and makes $100k per year.
He pays 33% of his salary towards the judgement.
After 55 years he will have paid 1.8 million or .05% of the judgement.
Justice ?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: