myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
New Jersey Windsurf Tourist - Ideas?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gregnw44

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 7:13 pm    Post subject: New Jersey Windsurf Tourist - Ideas? Reply with quote

What places would you suggest seeing, for a visiting windsurfer Smile

I'll be driving around NJ sight-seeing "this Fri & Sat" (Sep 22/23) with a flexible schedule. My first time there, and I'll be exploring some of the state with my 24 year old daughter who just moved there (3 weeks ago) for a job. Neither of us know our way around or have any predetermined tourist ideas. We'll be staying at her place in Morristown each night. We don't have much of an agenda yet... and she'd be fine with me working in some "Windsurf Tourism" while we're cruising around the state for a couple days. I'm not bringing any gear, so not planning on actually sailing... my idea is just to get some familiarity with what diverse activities the windsurfers in NJ like to do!!

Ideas like - popular windsurf spots... shops... windsurf history... races... windsurf clubs, schools... whatever.
And is there an on-line windsurf group specific to the area?

Thanks, Greg Smile

PS - Plus any special... cultural, historical, typical tourist spots, notable environmental spots... are also helpful.
(Both of us have done many of the NY tourist things.)

Windsanity287

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

www.windsurfresource.com
www.windsurfnj.org
Take a ride down to The Flats if its windy. (Island Beach State Park Marina) Head over to the ocean to see the waves. Same for Sandy Hook. Take a walk on the boardwalk in Seaside Park, Seaside Heights.
See whats playing at Morristown PAC?
gregnw44

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome, thanks for the tips!!

And yeah, I was just reading down the list here... I just missed the NJWWA Fun Fest, haha!

What a great website the NJWWA has... "great job by all the volunteers"!!
Have been reading about a few of the popular beaches from Sandy Hook down to Kennedy Park.
And Lakes Bay... that sounds familiar to me. I think I have some Lakes Bay harness lines somewhere, from "many" years ago. I wonder if it's the same "Lakes Bay"?

bred2shred

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Depends on how much driving you want to do.

Your closest windsurfing area is probably Sandy Hook Bay. So you probably want to check out Gateway National Recreation Area. Seaside would be fine to check out and you could go into Island Beach State Park too if you want.

If you want to go farther South, Long Beach Island would be worth looking at. You can check out Barnegat Light at the North end of the island as well as the bayside windsurfing beach at 68th street. Lots of small shops and restaurants on the island including a windsurfing/kiting shop.

Atlantic City is farther South if you're into that kind of place. Lakes Bay is located outside of AC and yes, it is the same "Lakes Bay" as your harness lines.

And all the way at the bottom of the state is Cape May which is a unique beach town.

Most of the beach towns are starting to wind down this time of year so crowds are a lot less and traffic isn't much of an issue as compared to peak summer season.

The Camden Aquarium would be worth checking out too.

sm
gregnw44

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

About 5-ish years ago, I was right here in this section, writing about driving from Seattle to Cape Cod for the Buzzard's Bay Crossing that Dan W organized. Over 6000 miles of solo driving... in my van with all seats removed (except 1), packed with boards and gear... for a couple days of windsurfing, and meeting some great New England area windsurfers, haha!!

Flying east this time, and driving around New Jersey all Fri and Sat will be easy.
And my daughter is good with road trips too Smile
Less traffic along the shore (watched some Jersey Shore episodes last night) sounds like easy driving.
I followed Hurricane Sandy news, when it happened... but read more about it and the aftermath, last night. So devastating in 2012.
Worried about friends in FL again... they still don't have power after last week.
We have no experience with those kinda storms here on the west coast.

Back to my quick trip this weekend... weather looks great, no factor... "thanks for the tip about the Aquarium"... it looks really cool Smile

gregnw44

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey guys following those links and looking on-line... some of the info is many years old... or business names have changed (or locations changed).

So... can anyone tell me, if there really is a windsurf shop or two in New Jersey?
And the name and location (for visiting)?
And also windsurf rental places (these might be different than a retail shop)?
Thanks!

samson_jerome

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 11:35 pm    Post subject: A couple of pointers for you! Reply with quote

Hey Greg!

Check with Ken and Eileen in Point Pleasant, I'm sure they'll have a kit you can borrow to go sail a bit: https://www.facebook.com/H2Windsurfing/

Or Jim's place in Pleasantville if you're a little further south: https://www.facebook.com/Extreme-Windsurfing-107900719296676/

Or check in with Ned and I'm sure he'll point you in the right direction!

It should still be pretty windy on Fri/Sat with hurricane Jose in the area (what's with all those natural disasters!?)

Stay safe in those rip currents and have fun!

Jerome.

[/url]
gregnw44

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 11:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Boss!! (I hope your power is back on.)
Yes, thought about contacting Ned... but getting super busy now, before leaving. Anyway, this will give me some possible options for "points of interest" and a few "things to explore" on Fri and Sat Smile

And yeah, bad natural disasters, one after another. Thinking about Puerto Rico now... and... all those people in central Mexico Sad

bred2shred

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Extreme Windsurfing outside of Atlantic City and Island Surf and Sail on LBI are the only two remaining windsurf shops in NJ. Both do lessons and rentals as far as I'm aware.

sm
gregnw44

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bred2shred wrote:
Extreme Windsurfing outside of Atlantic City and Island Surf and Sail on LBI are the only two remaining windsurf shops in NJ. Both do lessons and rentals as far as I'm aware.

sm

Great, "thanks"!!
I have their addresses and ph #'s now. And will be "touring around" Fri and or Sat.
I appreciate the tips Smile

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: