myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Does the board help make the jibe
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wmike

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2017 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Isobars, today your link works, the internet is fickle.
http://www.stormchasers.org.za/tips/mikefickgybe.html

Mike
mark

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2017 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What fin are you using in the board? Different fins can significantly change the turning characteristics of a board. In general newer fins are probably better than the stock fins of that board's vintage. Personally I would use something with a profile like a True Ames Convert but others could have suggestions based on their experiences with the board.
StillSailin

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2017 3:41 pm    Post subject: Does the board help make the jibe Reply with quote

Wow!! Great websites!
A wealth of information. Jem Hall was great and Mike Fick's "blow by blow" (pardon the pun) had me remembering stuff that worked so well and I've been forgetting to do....and thus the inconsistency in my jibes. Thanks guys

Mark: Finwise: I've been using a lightning fin by Recreational Composites -Wahoo and also the Flipper I just purchased, $202. Jim (owner) has been keeping up with inflation. I think it's a great fin, def worth it. Struggling one day and a friend said try this Wahoo and it was like night and day. All I sail now. You are def right about what a difference the fin makes.
kmf

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2017 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All of the gybe tips aside, I believe that you would enjoy some of the newer board shapes. Those two flows that you have are getting pretty moldy. There are some distinct advantages to the newer shapes, shorter, wider, and there are some out there that would give you some stoke.....and add some wavy dimensions to your ride while still giving you the speed and float you enjoy. You are welcome to try one of mine the next time we cross paths.

Keith
dllee

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2017 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you can jibe, you can jibe 1985 or 2017 gear.
If you can't jibe, you can't jibe either, or anything in between.
I was planing out of jibes in 1985 about the same ratio as right now.
Shorter doesn't jibe easier, and pure width just makes it harder to lean the board over. Width does plane at lower speeds, if lower speed jibing is your forte and desire.
Key to windsurfing is being powered up, not overpowered, not slogging. So, given 160 lbs., 52 cm board, 22 mph winds, and 6 meter sail, you can jibe fully planing out just as easily as any 70 cm board.....if you have technique.
westender

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2017 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see people, their main problem is, they're out of control. If the OO felt good to you, get one. They're popular for a reason.
ericandholly

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2017 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes the right board helps.

Fat skis help in powder

Fatter tires help on loose dirt

More sidecut helps skis rail on hardpack with less user input compared to long skinny skis.

Medium to low aspect foils are much easier to learn to switch feet.

Boards that allow for some pilot error help learning to jibe

Tune out the "you should learn to jibe on what you have," "or on challenging gear" BS. If you have the means to get a board that makes the process easier, go for it. It's a tough skill to learn as is, without complicating the process with a nervous, or hard railed board. Once you get them down on an "easier" board, you may feel the need for something slashier, or looser, or faster, or whatever.

Enjoy the process!
surfersteve

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2017 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With all due respect, I would offer some very different advice. As a PT for 24 years I specialize in movement disorders. You seem like a rather intelligent person, so I am not convinced that more video instruction is the issue. IMO the issue has to do with your understanding of what the boards do for you on the water. Once you "get" what is/is not happening, I think you will improve quickly, because you will simply know what you want and why the board is not doing what you ask of it. Below is my rationale for these bold statements.
I, too, had a lot of difficulty making turns for years despite sailing at the Hatch and Rufus dozens of times a year. The problem was I did not really understand what my board rails could do on the water. As I learned to ride swell, my turns improved dramatically and in direct correlation with my swell riding simply because I learned to understand how each of my boards handled.

If you are sailing primarily at Stevenson on such large boards, you have to realize you are sailing at an easy site (even when it gets windy) and likely in light winds which do not offer much opportunity to be on swell of any size to experience what I am speaking about.

Nearly everyone I run into at the Hatch/Swell stretch of river who is not a regular says the same thing when they are struggling regardless of what they ride and how much experience they have: they are not experienced in those conditions (routinely 3-8 foot swells depending on the day) and therefore do not really know how to sail them.

My suggestion would be to challenge yourself with two things: 1) go to a few more advanced sites so you can experience and attempt different conditions, turn radii, jibe radii, and try to get a feel for your board, and 2) find a board you feel works for you regardless of the name on it. Look at the overall shape, the rocker, the rails, etc. to see what features they offer which fit you. Makers often duplicate what is effective.

Fins are important IMO for more advanced things like tightness of a turn on a wave, upwind capability. I have never been on a board that sucked and it became magic with a different fin or a great board that turned to shit with a different fin. Better or worse, yeah, but great < > shit? never.

Good luck.
westender

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2017 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gotta have good control. I've seen people almost killed 20' from shore. Get a board you're comfortable on.
isobars

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2017 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As you guys and I have been saying and writing for years ... learning to swerve REALLY helps ya learn to jibe.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 2 of 7

Jump to: