myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Does the board help make the jibe
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PeterRhonda

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Back to the 3 wave comment ...

Still Sailin - I've found that the water conditions have a huge impact on planing gybes and what style to use. IMO the key is finishing cleanly in the trough of the last wave regardless of how many you've plowed through to get to that point. So if you're sailing the sound or the far side of Doug's the key is to keep as much speed as possible as you turn downwind and cut over the first couple.

I use a wide arc at that point, soft knees and keeping power in the sail (lay down if you're wildly over-powered). Then turn sharply to finish in the last trough. Even 1' chop can help keep the board planing. My focus is 100% on the waves and the sail takes care of itself.

As for foot timing, I go with step gybes unless it is nasty chop or I'm already a little off balance in which case I do sail first flips. OR, watch Kate at the lower Hatch. She looks like she's doing sail first gybes but always has her feet switched and set as she sheets in to power up. Smoothest footwork ever. Always uses the swell to keep her speed up.

BTW, I find a good sign that you're on your way to doing things right for ripper gybes is to go flying off the back of the board (you switch your feet and the board is going so much faster than you're used to, possibly surfing down the swell)! Next step is to go flying off the front Wink (you do a much earlier foot and sail flip than you're used to and power up on the new broad reach without having the stable body position to harness the power).

Riding out clew first = good practice. Riding out switch = good practice. It's windsurfing: practice = fun.
isobars

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PeterRhonda wrote:
It's windsurfing: practice = fun.

That right there has always puzzled me. "Practice" has always meant "work" to me, in the sense that it's the opposite of "fun". I'd rather "do", or at least "try" ("practice" and "try" are not the same to me, as they imply different objectives), than "practice", which is one of two major reasons I get so bored so quickly with freestyle. It's strictly a personal preference, no right or wrong involved or implied. We can't assume the OP equates "practice" with fun.
estherjibe

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The secret of Kate's jibes is to drag one hand on the swell as the sail flips, master that and everything else will easy.
PeconicPuffin

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For any board to be jibed, if the rail sets easily (if it is forgiving) then it's a matter of the sailor's technique. The other gear variable to consider is fin size...a huge fin will fight the carve.

As for board width, it depends on the board. The board I'm jibing in my avatar is 70 cm across (2004 JP Freestyle). It is an auto-planing jiber (and even more so an auto-planing duckjiber.)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
Page 7 of 7

Jump to: