myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
What should be my next board?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JPonHudson

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2017 6:49 pm    Post subject: What should be my next board? Reply with quote

My current board is 2011 Starboard GO 171L. I tack and jibe consistently, using harness and start from the beach. In a light wind I can sail clew first, backwinded and switch stance. I have hard time going fast to plane so not straps yet but I always use harness (at first waist and recently seat whihc I love). I am working on my water start, not very successfully but getting close. I recently tried my friends 135L and I got inspired to get a smaller board so I acquired 2004 JP E-Cite Ride 135 (262/72.1cm). I took it out a couple of times and got frustrated because uphauling was a pain in the neck. I liked the sensation of going fast but getting going was difficult.
I weigh 98kilo, which is important because I lost 20kg since the last season:) so the game changed for me a little bit.
I am thinking of getting a board which will allow me to progress faster. I was thinking of getting something that has less volume and doesn't have a full deck like my GO. I did my math and seems that taking in to account my weight loss I should aim at 20L less that would put me in a 151L range.
I got interested in Gecko which comes in 156 and 146. What puzzles me is how close these twp models are in terms of volume. Does 10L (and 2cm width) make that much difference? I am thinking that perhaps getting 156L might be more like my old GO. So, should I get 146 or will I have the same problem as I have with the X-Ride 135? What do you guys think?
dhmark

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2017 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gear will not help you progress. What you have is fine. Learn to get in straps on Go.
kmf

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2017 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Learn to sail in the straps. The Go should work for that.

http://www.jemhall.com/technique/item/windsurfing-footstraps-adjustment-technique.html

Next you need to learn to waterstart. That is the key element to smaller boards. The 135 should work fine in higher winds if and when you get those waterstarts dialed.

http://www.jemhall.com/technique/item/windsurfing-waterstarts-technique.html

KMF
NOVAAN

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2017 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keep riding your 135. It will get easier. Make sure you rig enough sail to get you going. You need to learn balance and that 135 will teach you where to put your feet .FRUSTRATION is part of the learning process. Each day out you will get better so go out no matter how lite the wind is...The reward for you early frustration is a lifetime of enjoyment all over the world...
grantmac017

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2017 11:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like you either need more sail or more wind. Straps need to be second nature before a smaller board makes sense.
swchandler

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 12:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In sailing a lower volume board, it's all about waterstarting, so KMF is absolutely right on. Also, the recommendation for a bigger sail size is good advice, especially since a waterstart depends on having a powerful sail that will pull you out of the water.

Lastly, being such a big guy in the past could be looked at as something that might still be holding you back. Sometimes, it's mind over matter. Remember, you're a lot lighter now. Think about being nimble and quick, and you'll be on the right track.
jingebritsen

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 6:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

what you have is fine.

gear is up to lots. it's on you to improve.

water start. put back foot up on board, put board with heel directly under your butt. keeping arms straight as possible. sail wil lift you out of water.

foot straps: ignore harness lines until you get in the front strap first. otherwise, you end up sailing so defensively you cannot commit to enough of the sail pressure that allows getting in straps. a trap. think of your rig as a third leg.

http://www.epicgearusa.com/
U2U2U2

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In a ideal world, the X-Cite135 could have been 145 or 150. I see no reason why a board that size 145/150 would not help with your progression. You could gather up one, and sell the JP.
OR

the learning curve will be steeper with the JP BUT THE REWARDS are greater.

I can't relate to your weight, but should uphaul just fine at that width, 72.
It goes well you can do a lot, the straps and water starts are epic events in our world..

If you have the money and or inclination to purchase something , do so, nothing wrong with more boards..lol me with half a garage full.

REAL BOTTOM LINE:
The JP is fine

http://www.k4fins.com/fins.html
http://4boards.co.uk/
coachg

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 10:49 am    Post subject: Next Board Reply with quote

Not knowing your sail size, wind speed or water state makes offering a suggestion a shot in the dark. Location would help. You might have a school near you. A lesson would be much cheaper & more useful than a new board.

Coachg
isobars

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you were an expert who understood the issue and still chose to sail only in the front strap, I'd keep quiet. You're not, so I won't and here goes.

I agree that straps make a big difference, but I was lovin' harnesses for years before I even owned a footstrap. Harnesses greatly extended my sessions and my days those first few years (had one custom made because they weren't readily available back then in Utah). My first footstrap was exactly that ... a solo footstrap that I bought and installed on my butt-nekkid longboard in about 1984, my fifth year of WSing avidly.

But as hundreds of posts in dozens of threads on BFF and Lisfranc violently argue (use the SEARCH function if you have a whole day to devote to ankle safety and have a good pair of hip boots), the front strap does nothing to prevent the catapults you face early in your progression and, used alone at your stage, increases your likelihood of serious foot/ankle injury. The back strap is the only strap that can prevent a catapult (it's simple physics and logic; I can't understand why so many people get so angry over the issue), and reduces the threat of serious ankle injury to almost zero. You will soon learn to use technique to prevent forward falls, but until then, that back strap is your seat belt. Call it a crutch if you like, but it may prevent an injury that could cost you a season or even a lifetime of windsurfing.

Oh, and ...
DUCK!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: