myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Need a better high wind sail
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
U2U2U2

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SDM or RDM , is not the most important factor, what is
The mast curve needs to be compatible with the sail.

If you use a certain small sail only a few times a year, so when it's windy, which happens to be what most of us want( not Red Bull Storm chase conditions) but windy, DO I want a sail that came over on the Mayflower?
Does it have to be the most current whiz bang one that just won a PWA event?

No to both. YMMV.

Like my pal says on here, if you can't afford minimalistic gear, your in the wrong arena.

http://www.k4fins.com/fins.html
http://4boards.co.uk/
wynsurfer

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rtz, At your weight you would need a sail around 5.5 to plane in those winds. I've been buying most of my gear from Windance for at least 10 years and have never been dissapointed. You might want to consider something like this:
http://www.windance.com///5.6m-Windwing-Bash/40367/
NOVAAN

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't piece mail your sails. Pick a sail brand and stay with It. Lots of reasons to do this. Sizing is one. One sail maker's 5.2 might sail like another brands 5.7. Mast compatibility between brands can vary. Rigging and tuning might be different. You need not buy new. Build your quiver around your most used sail and go from there. As mention the power glide sails are an entry level sail designed more for lite wind sailing. A good quiver of sails is what makes windsurfing effort less. Ok almost effort less. The proper mast is a must in order to get the most out of each sail. Mast and sails are expensive but you will save in the long run if you get good stuff. Take good care of your gear and it will last a very long time. A $600 sails that last 10 years is only 60 bucks a year. Its mostly free to windsurf. Last time I check a lift ticket to ski It was well over 100 bucks or more. Makes windsurfing sound cheap
thombiz

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with wynsurfer above!

And...I disagree with NOVAAN. Just because a sail brand makes a really great light wind sail doesn't mean they have a handle on high wind control sails. Just because Chinook makes a great entry sail doesn't mean they make a great 3-batten freestyle sail. Goya, Naish, and Windwing are famous for their wave and freestyle sails. Goya doesn't even make a cammed sail so searching for a Goya 3-cam sail is not going to turn up a single possibility, but doesn't mean you shouldn't sail Goya's incredible Guru.
NOVAAN

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I never said to stick with Chinook. Maybe I should have said to pick a long trusted sail maker like ????? for the reasons I stated. Pretty much any long standing sail company has a great line up to fit ones need.
rtz

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

manuel wrote:
What were you struggling with the most?
How much experience do you have with strong winds?
What were some of the other sailors reports on the day?

Granted; this is still my first year into this.

The sail seemed more like just a sheet of plywood and unrefined and lacked good control ability and power application. I was just getting yanked around.

I’ve never looked into or considered wave sails given I’m on a lake.

Looking for utmost control and ease of handling to help with and assist in learning. Is a wave sail the ideal choice? I don’t need speed and power at this point. I just want it manageable in higher winds.
manuel

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok thanks for the response. Can you post a photo of the sail rigged up if you can?
Not that it's advised but I sailed a beginner board (200L+?) with a 3.0 (full beginner sail, zero battens) in 25 knots and it was a little nutso. Maybe you experienced the same with your setup. The board would take off like a bat out of hell and the sail would flap around like a flag with near zero stability Very Happy !

Please post a photo and we can see if we can do something with your current setup. Can we have some info on mast used with the sail, extension specs, etc?

rtz

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

manuel wrote:
The board would take off like a bat out of hell and the sail would flap around like a flag with near zero stability.

That’s exactly what it was like for me. I’ll get some pictures later on today.
NOVAAN

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most, not all sail makers, make 5 batten bump and jump sail. Not true wave sails but do work well in waves. I use this type of sail for 5.8 down to 4.7 My smaller sails are 4 batten wave sails that keep me happy from high wind bump and jump to wave sailing. Keep in mind that the smaller sails need less frame work to keep them stable. Way back in the day I had a 5.0 that had 6 battens and 3 or 4 cambers. Windsurfing has come a long since then...
NOVAAN

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Think a good used Ezzy Tiger or something like it. That sail is well loved in the ruff and gusty Gorge...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: