myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Best performance board with a daggerboard?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 9, 10, 11  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ittiandro

PostPosted: Mon Dec 25, 2017 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can anybody comment or recommend a Mistral Prodigy for light wind cruising, possibly faster and livelier than my Bic WindSup or would it be the same thing, or worse?
My Bic is good for cruising around in light winds, but I 'd like a board with more teeth, possibly even for early planing, but it has ti be good for 12 knts winds.

I might have a good deal for the Prodigy. THis is why I am asking

Thanks

Ittiandro
grantmac017

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2017 1:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ittiandro wrote:
Can anybody comment or recommend a Mistral Prodigy for light wind cruising, possibly faster and livelier than my Bic WindSup or would it be the same thing, or worse?
My Bic is good for cruising around in light winds, but I 'd like a board with more teeth, possibly even for early planing, but it has ti be good for 12 knts winds.

Thanks

Ittiandro

12 kts min, max or average?
gregnw44

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2017 2:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ittiandro wrote:

Thanks

Ittiandro

I think this question needs more details. Nobody can recommend one of these boards as being better than the other board... unless we know way more info.
What's your weight, what are the board specs. what's your skill level, what a re your sailing goals... what are the most common or typical winds you'll be sailing in.

I know lots of people who cruise around in light wind on a Prodigy. I'd be just fine. no one would know how afast her are. Onlyway ot tell would be a race. And whatexactly do you mew,

techno900

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2017 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Although I haven't sailed a Prodigy, I have read about them and seen them in action. Basically, it does everything, but nothing really well. The wind SUP will likely glide better in winds under 10 knots. The Prodigy will stay upwind better because of the dagger. The Prodigy will plane with reasonable speed, but it will take good power to get it going in 12 knots. It was designed for "one design" racing, something like an Olympic class board where is can be raced in light to strong winds, upwind, downwind and reaching. The only thing I see as an advantage in light wind cruising (no planing) is upwind ability.
GURGLETROUSERS

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2017 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought a Prodigy, but sold it within a year. As Techno says, 'Basically it does everything, but nothing really well.'

It could certainly be fast when fully powered up, but its sheer weight and swing momentum (shorter length) in nasty chop made it very uncomfortable to lever about, and hurt my ankles when in the straps at speed. (heaving it to tame the swinging action.) That was what tipped the balance to selling it, for me. A Kona, for example, is much nicer and easier to blast on in chop because its length means it bucks and swings a lot less.

As a cruising board, it gained easier balance than a narrower longboard owing to width, but sacrificed a lot in that glide ability that good longboards have, as they effortlessly ghost along in lighter winds.

That was a big minus point with the Prodigy, though it was quite good pointing wise, with a very good carbon daggerboard. (The racing version, that is. The standard version had much less more efficient fittings. ( i.e. daggerboard.)
ittiandro

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2017 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

gregnw44 wrote:
ittiandro wrote:

Thanks

Ittiandro

I think this question needs more details. Nobody can recommend one of these boards as being better than the other board... unless we know way more info.
What's your weight, what are the board specs. what's your skill level, what a re your sailing goals... what are the most common or typical winds you'll be sailing in.

I know lots of people who cruise around in light wind on a Prodigy. I'd be just fine. no one would know how afast her are. Onlyway ot tell would be a race. And whatexactly do you mew,

Thank you

My weight is 85 kg. The board is 82 cm wide, 298 cm long , has a daggerboard and is floaty ( very floaty)! at 255 lt vol.

I'am a light wind guy, more interested in cruising in 12 knts winds than sheer planing and speed. Between sitting on the beach and sailing, however so slowly, I definitely prefer the latter, even if I can't go supersonic or plane.

As I said, the Windsup is already satisfactory for light winds cruising, but I was wondering if another board could give a bit more momentum in this winds.

From other comments below, I begin to think that it may not be what I want, because they seem to point towards a poor low wind performance.

Should I perhaps keep the Windsup and move to a larger sail, like a 9 m2 or more, instead of the 8 m2 ?

In spite of some other people's comments elsewhere, I can't see why a larger sail wouldn't help. More power should give the Windsup a boost and help it moving in light winds even more.

Thanks to you all

Ittiandro
grantmac017

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2017 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We sail a LOT in winds you describe. The vast majority are using raceboards or formula and 9.5-12m sails.
If the wind only peaks at 12 I prefer a raceboard, if it averages 12 I'll take a formula.

Width is the enemy unless you have enough wind to be planing most of the time.
ittiandro

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2017 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

grantmac017 wrote:
We sail a LOT in winds you describe. The vast majority are using raceboards or formula and 9.5-12m sails.
If the wind only peaks at 12 I prefer a raceboard, if it averages 12 I'll take a formula.

Width is the enemy unless you have enough wind to be planing most of the time.

1.if width is the enemy, how a can a 100 cm wide Formula still be good in 12 knts avg , which is exactly my typical wind range?
2. You mention 9.5-12 m2 sails. Would a 9 or a 9.5 help on my Bic Windsup?

Thanks

Ittiandro
grantmac017

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2017 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Because formula is either on plane or nearly stopped and in light winds the sailor works their butt off to get it planing.
A raceboard takes less physical effort to maintain decent average speed in lighter winds, especially with a sail designed for the purpose.

The RIGHT 8.5-9.5 might help a lot, but not as much as the right board.
techno900

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2017 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A formula board is light in weight and has a 70cm fin. With a big sail, it planes quicker than anything else on the water.

A bigger sail on your bic would help just a little, but it's not worth the size, cost, weight, effort, etc. Stay with something comfortable on the windsup, then find a big freeride board that will plane early, but with your weight and wind, you will need something like a 9 - 9.5 sail to plane in 12 knots.

I weigh 77 kg and plane on my formula with a 9.2 sail in 10 knots (small white caps just forming), but it takes pumping to get going. I also have an 11.0 which will get me going a bit sooner, but the range is limited and in gusty conditions it can be a handful, so it doesn't get much use.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 9, 10, 11  Next
Page 5 of 11

Jump to: