myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Best performance board with a daggerboard?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10, 11  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GURGLETROUSERS

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 4:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Greg, you aree stating what you, a heavyweight with extensive experience and skills can cope with, and use to the highest efficiency. Ittiandro is NOT at that level of expertise!

The fact remains that a longer, narrower, flatter rockered board such as the older racing boards, or the newer very expensive racing boards (which, I imagine, he would not wish to spend money on) would suit his stated light wind speed aims the best, AND without resorting to the expense and inconvenience (for non experts) of a huge jumbo rig. (He isn't racing!)

You, and the rest of us, may have little trouble gybing, tacking, or occasionally uphualing such huge rigs, but he, most likely would. If Ittiandro sticks with his current Bic board, he cannot expect to match the light wind speed and effortless glide of racing boards, with or without an improved expensive carbon centreboard. (Which is likely why Bic didn't fit one to that board.)

So, Ittiandro either keeps his Bic and settles for a sensibly sized bigger sail (only he can decide how big he wants to go), and gets a LITTLE extra speed, or he replaces the board with a faster and more efficient racing longboard, preferably an older cheaper but sound one, if he can find one.

That's what I would advise.
gregnw44

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes GT, all true.
cgoudie1

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And I'm pretty sure that was suggested (by many contributors) on the 1st
couple of pages of this thread).

But apparently that was not the answer wanted (whether correct or not)
and so we wandered off into the woods in search of an inexpensive way
to confound physics, and 8 pages later decided on the same answers again.
My suggestion to the OP would be to try some alternative ideas (maybe
even "the wing sail is a reality" thread, perhaps that design slogs
an old low performance long board along in 2-12MPH winds at 20MPH
and we just don't know it. Maybe he can modify 2 very old
sails and fuse them together with a heat gun to combat the underlying
industry wide manufacturer conspiracy to sell more stuff that doesn't
work well. ;*)

-Craig

GURGLETROUSERS wrote:
So, Ittiandro either keeps his Bic and settles for a sensibly sized bigger sail (only he can decide how big he wants to go), and gets a LITTLE extra speed, or he replaces the board with a faster and more efficient racing longboard, preferably an older cheaper but sound one, if he can find one.

That's what I would advise.
PeteV87

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One more vote for the Fanatic Viper, one of the only boards with a center board that I have planed on.

Or, a Mistral One Design, but it requires huge sails.

Disclaimer I did not read the entire 8 pages.
GURGLETROUSERS

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In all seriousness, are you claiming that the Fanatic Viper is the only board with a centreboard capable of planing? Or are you just stating that you have no experience of using, or have ever heard of, any other board with a centreboard capable of planing?

For what it's worth, Robby Naish looped a Mistral racing longboard (with centreboard retracted, naturally) in the 'old' days, when short and fat was merely a rude way of describing a non windsurfing couch potato.

Please somebody - kindly stop the world and let us oldies step off!!
gregnw44

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haha, exactly GT Smile

Another example of someone making a statement, which is certainly true in their eyes... and that's fine.
But then, some other newer sailor takes that statement as a "report"... as in, a complete detailed report with all info included. Which of course, it is not.

And yeah, Pete is saying that's the only board he's planned on... not that it's the only board with a centerboard that will plane Smile

BTW - IMO, a Viper is a fine hybrid board... but I'd think it would plane at about the same board speed as a Mistral One Design, WITH the same size sail. A 175 lb sailor with a 9m sail would be planning on both boards in 12-14 knot wind. And I don't think that sailor and that sail would be planning on either board in 8-10 knot wind.

PeteV87

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have sailed 3 or 4 boards with centerboard. The two that stood out was the fanatic viper, the closest experience to a shorter smaller board as it was very easy to plane. The 2nd board that stood out was the mistral one design as it felt like I was standing on a missile.

The one I remember that I did not enjoy that much, was a JP x-cite ride, as it felt like standing on an oil tanker.

I am not an expert, just giving my 2 cents - are you the god of windsurfing or are you also just giving your 2 cents?
grantmac017

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We're talking about subplaning performance. Wide beginner boards such as the Viper, Rio, etc just don't fit that bill. For them the centerboard is an uninspiring crutch. On a proper raceboard it's an entirely different mode of travel.
gregnw44

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pete - GT and I were just trying to guess at a more complete answer from your initial short post. And that's cause some newer sailors are taking brief and well meant individual statements and drawing incorrect conclusions regarding their own sailing.
"Thanks for your added info!"

And next, as I said in my opinion (IMO) about planning between a Viper and a Mistral OD... it is based on 100's of hours and 100's of light wind longboard and hybrid races over 30 years. Hybrids being a part of that, just since about 2000. And like I said, IMO.
Thanks Smile

SeaDawg

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

2-12 knts Starboard Serenity Utimate light air board. hardly ever need more or less than a good 6.5 anything.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
Page 9 of 11

Jump to: