myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Beginner Windsurfer in NJ
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ryanh50

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 5:04 pm    Post subject: Beginner Windsurfer in NJ Reply with quote

Hi everybody,

I have just begun windsurfing this past month for the first time since taking a just a couple of lessons a while back. I go to college in Monmouth County and I'm about 15-20 mins from Sandy Hook and 45 mins from the Flats (which I hear is a great spot for beginners?). I have just come across another spot on the other side of Sandy Hook Bay called Spy House (about 30 mins from me) and was wondering how that was for a beginner when the winds are coming from the East. So far I have only sailed in the Shrewsbury River because I am a bit gun shy about going to Sandy Hook or anywhere else since I am still just beginning. I am also pretty familiar with the Shrewsbury from sailing small sailboats so I figured that would be a good place to start learning.

On another note, I am enjoying every second of learning to windsurf (even though at times it can be quite difficult). If anybody has any advice for a beginner learning in NJ, whether it is specific to my area or general guidance, it would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
Ryan
isobars

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This was a biggie for me and a showstopper for guys who couldn't do it: Leave your ego at home and have fun. We learn much faster if we think more about what we're doing than who's watching. There's nothing like instructional videos/ books/lessons/websites and TOW (time on the water) to advance one's skills, and being willing to crash and burn -- heck, enjoying crashing and burning because it teaches us things -- despite the raucous and derisive laughter and the quarterback walking off with your girl* will take you far in this sport.

* There's always another girl, and probably even some as willing to look foolish as you will for a while ... maybe the next 50 years ... but there is unlikely to be another hobby/sport as addictive as this one.

And while there are better and worse ways to do almost anything in this sport, ignore anyone who insists theirs is the ONLY way.

Mike \m/
Windsanity287

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

While I've never windsurfed the Shrewsbury (aside from iceboarding in the winter) I began windsurfing in 1989 at Sandy Hook, twice a week, all season long. I've never sailed from Spy House, but consider if there is a deep water channel to sail across? Sandy Hook lot C is on the bay, pretty much surrounded by land, so there is a degree of safety. The flats is miles of waist deep water, another safety net for you. Either place should have windsurfers if there is wind. Probably better if you can congregate with others, as opposed to launching alone elsewhere. Check out the waterspotr app from USWindsurfing
bred2shred

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to windsurfing!

I also live in Monmouth county, so I'm familiar with most of the windsurfing locales in this area, although I've never sailed the Spy House and have only windsurfed Sandy Hook a handful of times (although I've raced Hobies out of SHBCC for a couple decades).

My advice- sail at spots where other windsurfers sail. You will pick up a lot of great info just by being around other sailors. Sandy Hook, Lavallette (Jacobsen Park), Seaside (IBSP / 13th ave, the flats), and Trixies (Berkeley Island County Park) are the popular bay launches near you.

There's a lot of great windsurfing to be had in NJ, so get stoked and enjoy. Feel free to PM me if you have any specific questions.

sm
ryanh50

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you so much for the replies guys! I knew I wanted to pick up either windsurfing or kiteboarding after years of sailing but I was a bit concerned whether or not there was still a windsurfing "community" in the area, and the more I research the more I find that this community is alive and well.

Windsanity,
I downloaded the app that you suggested and I love it! It even includes my Shrewsbury launch as one of the listed spots. May I ask why you never windsurfed in the Shrewsbury? To me it seemed like a great spot with waist deep water (depending on the tide) and flat water and after years of sailing boats there I have never seen a windsurfer sailing there! Seems odd to me that it's never in the NJ windsurfing conversation either.

Bredtoshred,
I'm hoping to run into other windsurfers at Sandy Hook only because of the convenience of it (15 minute drive). Really glad to have found someone else from the Monmouth area on here! Glad to have a contact that I can look to bother with a local question if I have one! Very Happy

Isobars,
Thanks for the advice! A friend of mine who flies a drone was taking a video of me last week... Thought it would look cool to show my friends and it ended up just showing me all of the technical things I'm doing wrong and need to fix, but I guess thats even more valuable than a video to show my buddies!

Again, I appreciate you all taking the time to help the new guy!

Ryan
outcast

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 7:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I learned to windsurf on the Shrewsbury way back in 82

I would stick with it there till you get your upwind downwind on....Sandy Hook Cove is ok too.
Windsanity287

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2017 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't know where to launch from, aside from Seawaneka Ave. in the winter/ice. Kinda like avoiding boat traffic.
www.windsurfnj.org
ryanh50

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2017 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Windsanity287 wrote:
I wouldn't know where to launch from, aside from Seawaneka Ave. in the winter/ice. Kinda like avoiding boat traffic.
www.windsurfnj.org

That's where I launch from. This time a year the boat traffic seems to die down a little and I think I could get a couple good months at this spot before it freezes over.

Thanks for the responses!

Ryan
dcharlton

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2017 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to this horribly addictive sport. TAKE A WATER STARTING LESSON!!!! It will break open the sport for you! DON"T WAIT!!!

DC
PeconicPuffin

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keep an eye out for ABK Boardsports Windsurfing clinic, which usually makes a stop in New Jersey in late September (they were in Atlantic City last week). It's a great opportunity to spend three days learning technique and meeting other local windsurfers!

https://abkboardsports.com/

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: