myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Which 150L board for a heavyweight?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jingebritsen

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2017 5:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

good choices all. only one i have not ridden is the magic ride.

width allows one to do dry jibes, but may not glide as well as longer, somewhat narrower. that's the meat of the matter. if you want to excel at planing jibes i would chose longer, esp if you don't want to stay lit all the time.

i have discovered that the shorter and wider boards do not glide as well in power off modes. the physics explanation is beyond me. just know that it is prevalent. bic seems to have confirmed this.

if one insists on short and wide and desires to plane thru jibes, try duck jibes. power off transitions can far less duration. just another observation i have made in light wind, Florida conditions.

http://www.epicgearusa.com/
jfeehan

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2017 6:39 am    Post subject: Re: Boards Reply with quote

coachg wrote:

Last summer I got a chance to rent the Magic ride for two weeks on Lake Garda. I ended up using the pro edition in sizes 111, 119 & 142. The rental shop had fins way too big for my taste, but even with the huge fins I found the board very controllable & easy to jibe.

Between the three boards I'd probably rank them JP/Carve/Techno.

My opinion is based on the JP Pro edition. If I had sailed the other two it might have been different.

Coachg

I have sailed the magic ride a few times in cabarete - but only in smaller sizes than the OP is considering.., the 118/119 and something in the 135L range.., both in the FWS construction, which i think is the middle of three constructions they offer.

obviously, comparing between boards that are all pretty good.., it comes down to personal preference.

but i liked the magic ride a lot, and will be buying a 119 for my kid's first shortboard.., and maybe also as a lightwind board for me.

I guess my main observation is that in comparison with older boards, these boards sail much bigger than their volume would indicate.
NOVAAN

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2017 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sail size and water conditions seem to dictate whether short and wide or longer and narrow boards work best..haven used both style boards and the stubie's, I tend to lean to the slightly longer and narrow boards. I think for the advancing windsurfer, it might be best not to go extreme in either direction. Its seems that a lot of the board makers are going to far to the short and wide boards.
GURGLETROUSERS

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Over the last week, two seperate days of similar winds have given chance of a comparison between two different boards of the same volume, but of very different eras. 1) My 2008 Exocet Cross 94 litre (shorter wider but not extreme) 2) My 1998 Bic Saxo 270, of the same 94 litres. (Longer and narrower with a turned up nose, but fairly normal for that period.)

The Cross 94, my current rave favourite since I found the right fin for it, is at its best (for me) in 4.7 or 5.5 sail winds and seas, and the Saxo was -and still is- at its best (for me) in 5.5 to 6.0 sail and sea conditions. Two seperate days of normal, gusty, wind and sea conditions have allowed for for a fair comparison with both boards in their window of use, with the same 5.5 sail.

(Computer problem, so will continue.)
GURGLETROUSERS

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

(Continued.)

The conditions were normal for our coast being typically gusty with stronger periods, and fairly frequent weaker parts and lulls. On both seperate days each board was planing at reasonable speed for about 60% of the time, and slogging in the lully parts for the rest. The only measurable points (Garmin) were max speed, and average speed over a set period of an hour, to average out the conditions and give a fairer picture.

The max speeds mean little. since both boards are capable of much more. They were 22.6 m.p.h. for the Saxo, and 21.7 for the Cross. The averages over the set hour were, 6.4 m.p.h. for the Saxo, and 7.1 m.p.h. for the Cross.

As John says, longer narrower boards do glide a little easier in slogging conditions so I was expecting the Saxo to be faster there, but a probable slight difference in wind strength and duration skewed the result.

(Will continue)
GURGLETROUSERS

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

(Continued.)

It was clear though, that the longer narrower turned up nose of the Saxo sat higher out of the water when slogging, and was more directionally stable against the chop. The shorter squatter nose of the Cross burried itself more (Leverage of rig over shorter nose length?) in the water adding resistance, as well as being lurched about more.

Short of being able to compare side by side on the same day (two riders) I can only add that both boards can be very satisfying to use. I had forgotten how good the Saxo used to be at long arc drawn out fast gybes. When properly powered in the windier spells, being sooner to plane isn't that relevant, since neither could get going in the lulls anyway.

The Cross 94 is my current favourite board, especially in 4.7 conditions where it excells. (Given up on stupid low volume wave boards in our normal non-consitent wind conditions.) But I do wonder whether shorter and wider is, in some cases the Emperors new clothes thing, for us normal non-pro standard experienced and otherwise competent windsurfers?

After all, perfect art is being able to make perfect use of what we have to hand, and it need be no less satisfying on a good older shape of board.
akrausz

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GURGLETROUSERS wrote:
But I do wonder whether shorter and wider is, in some cases the Emperors new clothes thing, for us normal non-pro standard experienced and otherwise competent windsurfers?

Interesting, however in the bigger freeride category, it's hard to say because the vast majority of boards were slalom, often approaching 10 feet. Today, at 210 pounds, I can be riding a 115-ish liter 240cm board just like the 95 liter "wave/slalom" model the 75kg guy is riding. It wasn't until 2000 that I found a board that I liked in that category. I wish I still had it so I could make the comparison. At my weight and venue, planing power and range is important, so I give modern the nod, and I believe it helped keep more of my jibes dry. And 240cm has gotta be more fun than 280cm, right?
isobars

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NOVAAN wrote:
Sail size and water conditions seem to dictate whether short and wide or longer and narrow boards work best...

Not to mention an equally important factor: one's sailing style ... what one wants to DO with the board. Only when that is known can "best" be defined.
GURGLETROUSERS

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 2:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes akrausz, I agree that the mainstream sensibly proportioned shorter and wider boards of today (such as my favourite crosses of 94 and 84 litres) have a balanced mix of performance characteristics, which allow the tackling of fairly challenging conditions on the open sea. They may or may not be a little better than the old, but they are certainly no worse.

But it's all too easy to get fixated on the board and forget that sheer raw enthusiasm which drove us all, when windsurfing was THE new and exciting sport. We just wanted to nail it, whatever! (That attitude has now crossed to kite surfing, with ever growing numbers.)

I suppose my point is that many longstanding windsurfers have forgotten the past, and too readily assume that the older boards were all inferior to the new. The old may have been a little harder to use at times, but I don't find them so inferior. (Who decrees things have always got to be easier, and WHY?)

So yes, when my current boards need replacing I'll settle for new. (No choice really) but I won't believe that will offer any real advance in performance, over what I have now. Laws of physics, and all that!
isobars

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GURGLETROUSERS wrote:
many longstanding windsurfers have forgotten the past, and too readily assume that the older boards were all inferior to the new. The old may have been a little harder to use at times, but I don't find them so inferior.

in fact, I find the older ones to be generally superior for what I want a board to do. I admit that I've sailed only two 2017 boards, but they were carefully chosen after extensive deliberation and professional advice, and were supposedly representative of the genre. My 2014s, which are among my very favorites, are retros, a blend of older and newer shapes. There's no way I have time to test a large number of stubbies, but so far the boards I like best have some length and some halfway parallel rails, partly because our wind speeds range so widely in a single session -- sometimes in a single reach -- that I find most stubbies ill at ease when carving hard in big chop with WAY too much power in the gusts. Of course, fin selection plays a big part in that.

Also gotta admit that I'm no longer anywhere heavyweight status, but it's all relative. Back when I was about 200 pounds, I rode mostly 65-75L boards. This season's crappy wind quality has favored bigger boards even after losing 30 pounds, but when the lulls and gusts range from 2 to 35 kts per reach, board demands and design become a big factor (and sail size become almost moot.) It gets quite important to find a big board that will handle a TON of excess power and chop yet which slogs with ease and balance, neither of which shouts, "Stubby" very often.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 2 of 9

Jump to: