myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Which 150L board for a heavyweight?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
akrausz

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 6:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Which 150L board for a heavyweight? Reply with quote

gobigkahuna wrote:
Exocet Nano 155 Freeride
Starboard Carve 151
Bic Techno 148
JP Magic Ride 154
Tabou Rocket 150

Feedback?
I'm 6'7" and question the suitability of a very wide board . In general, the further away your feet are from the center line, the higher the boom needs to go. Sometimes, I can't adjust the boom high enough to begin with, and even had the boom cutout on a sail made taller. One might think, well that's why freeride boards have more than one row of footstrap options. I have size 15 feet, and with booties, I find the outboard row of footstrap positions useless, as my heels are in the water. The second row (away from the rail) of footstrap holes puts me on the rail in the normal performance position. So I would need a third row to get off the rail a little bit. Some boards have three rows, but that third row is often so far inboard it's only for learning. And for you, at 250 pounds, I am concerned about you having 70-ish more pounds than the norm out on the rail, unless you're sailing lit up like a pro. Fortunately 150-liter boards do exist in many difference widths. So something maybe to think about if the widest boards would work the best.
gobigkahuna

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 1:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Which 150L board for a heavyweight? Reply with quote

akrausz wrote:
gobigkahuna wrote:
Exocet Nano 155 Freeride
Starboard Carve 151
Bic Techno 148
JP Magic Ride 154
Tabou Rocket 150

Feedback?
I'm 6'7" and question the suitability of a very wide board . In general, the further away your feet are from the center line, the higher the boom needs to go. Sometimes, I can't adjust the boom high enough to begin with, and even had the boom cutout on a sail made taller. One might think, well that's why freeride boards have more than one row of footstrap options. I have size 15 feet, and with booties, I find the outboard row of footstrap positions useless, as my heels are in the water. The second row (away from the rail) of footstrap holes puts me on the rail in the normal performance position. So I would need a third row to get off the rail a little bit. Some boards have three rows, but that third row is often so far inboard it's only for learning. And for you, at 250 pounds, I am concerned about you having 70-ish more pounds than the norm out on the rail, unless you're sailing lit up like a pro. Fortunately 150-liter boards do exist in many difference widths. So something maybe to think about if the widest boards would work the best.

I've not had an issue, although I have had to move the boom higher than most people I know. Might be because I wear a seat harness. What sort of harness do you use?
dhmark

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In comparing short and wide to longer and narrower, does the shorter and wider require more aiming downwind and shoving with feet or off chop to get planing? They may plane earlier ONLY if you do those things. Otherwise they just slog sidewise a lot. My only comparison of this is with 2 very different boards, a 2003 116 L Fanatic Cross and a Bic 160, the latter which really isn't short (but is wide). If this is the case, then for those sailing in inconsistent winds, then short and wide isn't so great if upwind slogging often needed.
akrausz

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 9:26 am    Post subject: Re: Which 150L board for a heavyweight? Reply with quote

gobigkahuna wrote:
I've not had an issue, although I have had to move the boom higher than most people I know. Might be because I wear a seat harness. What sort of harness do you use?

I use a seat harness. Its' funny, like golf, I never realized these things I was doing wrong until I started reading on the internet. I used to freeride sail with the boom at lower to mid chest level with 24-26 inch harness lines. Now, I sail with the boom higher, but still lower than the top of my shoulders, and with 28-30 inch harness lines. Since the winds where I sail are usually light, I often feel that I could still go a couple of inches higher, but the boom cutouts are too low. Yup, I bet the boom cut outs go up to around the 6'5" mark. Anyways, I over-analyze things, but that's what we do here. Just curious, have you sailed a 86cm wide board, and were you comfortable in the outboard strap position?
gobigkahuna

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have an Starboard Avanti WindSUP (91 cm wide) and had an older Bic Formula board while living in San Diego (roughly 94 cm wide?). To be honest, I've never been powered up enough to move into the straps. In the old days (20-30 years ago) I had much smaller, skinnier boards, but I also weighed a lot less back then (but didn't we all?).

I'm leaning towards the JP Magic Ride 154 but I may have to switch out the 52 cm fin for the shallow water here. Anyone have any suggestions?
akrausz

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dhmark wrote:
In comparing short and wide to longer and narrower, does the shorter and wider require more aiming downwind and shoving with feet or off chop to get planing? They may plane earlier ONLY if you do those things. Otherwise they just slog sidewise a lot. My only comparison of this is with 2 very different boards, a 2003 116 L Fanatic Cross and a Bic 160, the latter which really isn't short (but is wide). If this is the case, then for those sailing in inconsistent winds, then short and wide isn't so great if upwind slogging often needed.

For me, I have noticed that to be the case to some degree, but I have to weigh it against other variables. We all land on the compromise curve somewhere. I used to own a 146-liter 310cm shortboard, and now I own a 146-liter 250cm board. With the old board while slogging, I would mutter something about the lack of wind. Today, pretty much the same...but I do notice that I get planing quicker, so less slogging and muttering, and more stoke. I tend to have many different boards, analyze the variables, and try to minimize my muttering and max out my stoke...but it doesn't always work out that way.
akrausz

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

gobigkahuna wrote:
I'm leaning towards the...?

Ok so you will need a board where you can learn to get into the straps. The boards in your list are 75-86 cm wide...so a mix of boards from different freeride categories. Are those particular boards available to you? If a Tabou Rocket 150 is available to you, it must be a good price, since it is from last decade, right? They were popular. We can only comment on what you tell us.

Are you going to buy a third board for higher wind? When comparing boards of similar size and shape, I think the difference in size and shape is still significant. If you plug your numbers into riggeek, which I actually find quite useful (if you use knots), you would need a 151 liter board and a 126. The 151 you would use with a 8.9 and 7.2. If you want one board to cover the whole range, it recommends a 143 liter board, as being the smallest for uphauling. If uphauling is a non-issue, maybe you could go slightly smaller. To convert knots to miles you would need to go up in size a little. So your target board size seems quite in line with what the formula used by the tool comes up with. What attracted you to the JP?

And now a shameless plug. I have a JP X-Cite Ride 146 Pro for sale...you can PM me if interested.
gobigkahuna

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've read a lot of good things about the JP Magic Ride. The Tabou Rocket was on an ebay auction I lost.

I sold my formula board before leaving San Diego and plan on selling my Starboard Avanti (it's just too big and heavy, and I have no interest in SUP). So this board will be my only board for a while. Before leaving the sport I had a Fanatic Ultra Bat, Ultra Cat and a Seatrend slalom board. I used that Ultra Bat (163 liters) without the daggerboard more often than any other board. So I'm looking for something I can use for almost everything. I'm hoping the Magic Ride (plus some smaller fins) will do this for me.

PS, I sent you my email address so we can talk about your JP Excite Ride. Smile
akrausz

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That Rocket 150 on eBay looked like a nice one. I'll bet that ten year old board could compete with today's boards just fine. So the Magic Ride would be new? With the convergence of windsurf board designs, I think it's difficult to say one is better than another these days. There will be differences, maybe subtle, in weight, size, shape/design, and that will yield correspondingly differences in performance and compromises. If I compare the board I had 15 years ago to my latest board, the current board is ever so slightly different and better. Have you read about the 154 specifically, or just the smaller sizes? I've read that they plane early due to their width, but don't recall anything else that "stood out". I've had a couple of JP's, and found them to be well-built. Ten years ago they didn't use double concaves on their freeride boards, but that changed about five years ago, and I feel that's an improvement.

Thanks for the PM, I'll get you some info.
akrausz

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gobigkahuna wrote:
...fin for the shallow water here. Anyone have any suggestions?

I've noticed some fin manufacturers recommend slightly shorter fins, like Tectonics, Black Project and Maui Ultra Fins. I think it's very important to use the proper size, and a percentage of people will say a heavier person should use an even bigger fin. Another option, and some will disaagree because they sacrifice some performance...is a weed fin. Not only are they shorter for the same recommended board and sail size, but they also might hold up better if you still end up running aground.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 3 of 9

Jump to: