myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Sailworks Retro's. What quiver sizes?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mamero

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

akrausz wrote:
Definitely ask Bruce if the 460 will work on the 8.0 at your weight.

7.5 and 8.0 Retros are crossover sizes. For the 7.5 460 is primary, 490 is secondary. For 8.0 it's the opposite; 490 is primary and 460 secondary. Bruce said that in the 8.0, 490 is a better fit for the sail however, me being a light weight, I could probably get away with the secondary 460 as I lilkey can manage the softer feel. The only downside is a 460 on the 8.0 would require quite a bit of extension.

akrausz wrote:
Do you want two large sails that only you will use?

At this stage anything bigger than 6.0 will be only for my use. The 6.0 is currently the top end of what my wife is comfortable with. She’s only 115/5'0” ish and working on waterstarts (she's getting very close). I suspect it will be one or two season before she's comfortable or ready to go out on anything bigger than 6.0.

akrausz wrote:
Is year and color really a high priority?

Not crucial but, if you are going to invest in between 2-4 new sails would you want them to match and look good if possible? It’s a good chunk ‘o change. Second-hand colors are not as crucial. New, it’s a little more expected.

akrausz wrote:
6.5 is a nice fit for the 114, but if you really want two larger sizes for yourself, then 7.0-8.0 is better spacing, but perhaps overkill. I think you're biggest question is if you want to replace the 7.5 with an 8.0. An 8.5 on a 114 freeride board seems a little radical to me.

Therein lies the dilemma. At times I think I want something bigger than 7.5… but if I go bigger, HOW much bigger? And, if I go bigger should it be in addition to my 7.5 or, as a replacment to my 7.5? 7.5 is generally a good size for me. The Futura’s top end is 9.0 so 8.0 or 8.5 should be fine from the board's point of view. However, I don’t want to go TOO big if possible. I would image the Futura will also plane up quicker than the Carve so perhaps the 7.5 will “feel” faster or be more efficient on the Futura than it currently is on my 2004 carve. Sailworks also suggested an adjustable outhaul might be a good idea on the 7.5 to try before experemtning with larger sizes. The thing is, I won't be able to experiment with my new board and my current 7.5 likely until the spring. However, Sailworks has clearance sales on 2017 models right NOW. If I wait to replace the sails in the Spring, not only will I need to deal with this unexpected expense the thieves have caused, I will need to pay full retail in the process.

akrausz wrote:
I certainly hope you don't get your stuff stolen again...are you able to keep your gear inside your vehicle?

So do I! I have an alarm on order. Once the alarm is installed in our van I plan to build a fully enclosed area for the gear.

Last edited by mamero on Mon Oct 16, 2017 9:57 am; edited 2 times in total
mamero

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

joethewindsufa wrote:
the Futura 114 is 72 cm wide and SB says sail range 5.5 - 9.0
based on that, I would guess best match is 7.0-7.5 sail
OFO is almost 48 cm and as such would take a 48 cm fin ...
here is a video with a 7.8 sail ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D8ZcEoT_7rQ

Yes, the Futuras have a wide sail range from 5.5-9.0. One of my main reasons for choosing it. 7.0-7.5 is right in the middle of it's range. It should also be able to handle an 8.0 or 8.5 with out the board breaking a sweat.

Great video. By the way, I just messaged you of the Facebook Windsurfing Buy Sell & Trade group.
mamero

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jingebritsen wrote:
do you use the lower clew grommet when over powered?

I'm only 5'6", 140lbs. I ALWAYS use the lower clew grommet.
mamero

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

grantmac017 wrote:
Consider a proper slalom sail for your largest. It'll handle far better op'd and match the character of your board.

-Grant

I had considered a Sailworks NX as an alternate to a Retro above my 7.5. The only sizes that would make sense are 7.8 or maybe the 8.6. However, 8.6 I think would be just too overkill, especially in a cambered race sail. 7.8 might not be worth the upgrade in size from a 7.5. Maybe from a 7.0 though.

There are a couple local guys who both rip around on NX's all summer long. However, they are bigger guys than me, are better sailors (at this point), and they are also using them on full-out forumla boards. Although the Futura has a more formula and slalom feel compared to my Carve, it still has a strong freeride aspect. A 7.8 may be OK on the Futura 114, but I think the next size up 8.6 would be pushing it's limits.

Also, cambered race sails like the NX bring with it a whole other aspect I'm not sure I want to get into such as rigging, weight, uphauling, waterstarting etc.

Last edited by mamero on Mon Oct 16, 2017 9:59 am; edited 2 times in total
mamero

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

swchandler wrote:
I'd forget the 6.5 entirely. Seems like your 7.5 is your ideal all round sail, and only being 3 years old, it should be good for a few more years.

The 7.5 still is in pretty good shape. It's certainly good for another 2-3 seasons. It's not crucial to replace however, considering I'll need to replace the 6.0 and likely one other anyway with 2017s (that's all Sailworks has now) I thought it might be an idea to sell the 7.5 now while I can still get a decent amount of money for it and replace it the same time as the others. This way I have an equal starting point with three (reluctantly 4) light wind sails all the same age, condition, and ideally color scheme. If I did sell and replace the 7.5 then there is nothing saying I need to replace it with another 7.5. Unless of course 7.5 truly is a good size for me.

swchandler wrote:
I have a 7.0 Retro, and it's a fabulous sail. I'm totally impressed by its lightness, power and easy handling, particularly when waterstarting. Matched with Sailworks' 100% carbon 460cm Lightstick SDM, it's the best 7.0 rig that I ever owned.

I agree Retros are pretty awesome. I bought my current 2015 7.5 nearly new last year to replace a 2007 Retro that I sailed in to the ground.

I use a 75% Carbon 460 Joystick and it's great. I've never felt that I needed the 100% Lightstick. Maybe I don't know what I'm missing.

swchandler wrote:
If you are really intent on buying a completely new light wind quiver, I would suggest 6.0, 7.0 and 8.0 given your size and weight. The real upside going with the 7.0 and 8.0 is that you can rig them both on a 460.

I think 6.0, 7.0, 8.0 does have a lot of merit if I were to abandon the 7.5 size completely. 6.0 replaces the Retro that is my wife's biggest sail, 8.0 gives me that extra bit of power I desire at times with out going really big. It's just that when the 7.5 works, it works VERY well. And, where I sail this is quite often.

swchandler wrote:
The other approach would be to keep the 7.5 and buy an 8.5. However, that would necessitate buying a 490.

If money were no object this would certainly be the best approach. 6.0, 6.5, 7.5, 8.5 would be a pretty sweeet quiver to go with the Futura.

swchandler wrote:
Lastly, when thinking about matching colors across your quiver, it's a bit boring having everything be all the same. I like the idea of having some colorful variety in my quiver. Yet, if you want to be more mysterious out on the water, with every sail being the same color scheme it's hard for folks on the beach to see what you're riding.

I guess I am a mysterious kinda guy. What can I say.

Last edited by mamero on Mon Oct 16, 2017 10:03 am; edited 1 time in total
mamero

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 6:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Quiver size Reply with quote

cgoudie1 wrote:
If you were starting over (for yourself), I'd go 8.0, 6.5, 5.5. but,
I wouldn't start over. Your 7.5 can be tuned to pull pretty hard.
An 8.0 might only get you another MPH or 2 lower, but good
pumping technique should be almost as good, not to mention your
new lighter board will likely plane earlier than your old board. A
bigger fin might get you that 1MPH lower planning threshold also.

7.5, 6.5, 5.5 is totally doable (by you). I weigh 185 lbs, and
my Sailworks quiver is 9.5, 6.5, 5.5. It would be better if there were
an 8.0 in there, but I can make 9.5 to 6.5 work, Retros are pretty tunable
(and I do have an old 8.5 NX, but I almost never take that with me).
This is my big gear quiver in Utah.

Try that 7.5 with your new board 1st and see if you can't get by.

-Craig

Thanks for the suggestions Craig!
Wind-NC.com

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi there- noticing from your other thread that you're going from an older Carve 121 to a new Futura 114... The Futura should plane up quite a bit sooner than the carve under the same amount of sail power. So, basically, you won't need to step up from the 7.5 on what USED to be a marginal day, because the new board and fin will now be providing the extra juice that you didn't have before.

You can definitely put a lot more sail on the Futura if you want to- it just doesn't sound to me like you will need to.

http://wind-nc.com
joethewindsufa

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

^+1
at 140 pounds - that's almost two of me
7.5 s/b fine !!
swchandler

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just curious, what 2017 Retro color scheme best represents your mysterious nature? Yellow, Red & Yellow or Red & Blue.
mamero

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

swchandler wrote:
Just curious, what 2017 Retro color scheme best represents your mysterious nature? Yellow, Red & Yellow or Red & Blue.

Previously I was a Blue/Orange/White kinda guy. Unfortunately these colors are no longer available so I am having to adapt my mysterious nature to a new color scheme. Based on Sailworks' current color schemes, I think Blue/Red currently best represents my mysterious nature. Followed maybe by Orange/Red/Yellow.

Its hard to tell how accurate colors are on a computer screen. I think Blue/Red should compliment the Blue/Red in the Futura. I'm just not sure how much orange is in the red of the board and, how much burgundy is in the Red of the Retro.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: