myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Which 150L board for a heavyweight?
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gobigkahuna

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 5:18 pm    Post subject: Which 150L board for a heavyweight? Reply with quote

I'm an intermediate level sailor. Can waterstart and gybe pretty easily. I'm big (250 lbs) and tall (6'5"). I learned to windsurf during the 1970's, switched to kiting in 1999, then back to windsurfing 6 years ago. Now I'm living on the "far end" of the OBX and want to get better windsurfing gear.

I'll only be sailing in the "sound", wind varying from 15-25 mph. Water surface will vary from pretty flat to chop. I don't plan on riding waves with this board.

I'm looking at several boards:

Exocet Nano 155 Freeride
Starboard Carve 151
Bic Techno 148
JP Magic Ride 154
Tabou Rocket 150

Feedback?
GURGLETROUSERS

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 2:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If your sailing winds will normally be in the 15 to 25 m.p.h. range you will be planing, so any of them will work. The two on which there is probably most feedback (from widespread use) would be the techno 148, a decent long standing design, and the Carve, ditto.

The newer other ones MAY offer a bit better (more lively) performance, but we never seem to see any of them in use on any of our beaches, so there are only somewhat perhaps over eager claims to go on. Unless anybody can offer accurate test experience of any of the newer designs, in comparison with the older better understood ones?

P.S. The head of Bic Sport was asked why they had stuck with the Techno 148 shape, and had not updated it with a shorter wider one? He replied that they had tested several such prototypes but they had shown no real advantage over the older longer board, just a different balance of characteristics. Doesn't that perhaps speak volumes about change just for the sake of it, and the barrage of advertising blurb?
joethewindsufa

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 3:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey gobigkahuna: you seem to ask similar questions over and over ...
hmmm
in any case ...
in 2015 I went to Hatteras and sailed the Sound
the board I was able to use the most was a Mistral Equipe I longboard
sailed seven days out of seven where two were with a shortboard - less than 150 liters with winds over 20 knots
i weighed about 100 kilos then - 220 pounds
good luck
btw there are LOTS of great shops with friendly advice in the area
but hodad andy has left ...
gobigkahuna

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 6:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

@Gurgle - Thanks, good point! I sometimes wonder why all the manufacturers went to wider boards, I never had issues planing with my slalom boards during the 80's and 90's. But no doubt wider can get you up on a plane sooner. I learned that while trying out formula boards in San Diego.

@Joe - Kinda similar threads I'll admit. I'm located at the far end of the OBX where access to the sound is really limited (almost entirely private property). Up where you were is about a 6 hour drive / ferry ride from me. Unfortunately, most of the boards those shops carry are either too small for me or are entry level boards.

I've followed your blog for a while. One of the boards I've owned was a Fanatic Ultra Cat which I learned was one of your boards also.
coachg

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 8:43 am    Post subject: Boards Reply with quote

The Nano is the only one of those boards I have not sailed. As GURGLETROUSERS said, the Techno & Carve have been proven shapes over the years. I have rented & demoed both in the larger sizes & light winds, very user friendly boards.

Last summer I got a chance to rent the Magic ride for two weeks on Lake Garda. I ended up using the pro edition in sizes 111, 119 & 142. The rental shop had fins way too big for my taste, but even with the huge fins I found the board very controllable & easy to jibe.

Between the three boards I'd probably rank them JP/Carve/Techno.

My opinion is based on the JP Pro edition. If I had sailed the other two it might have been different.

Coachg
lturkevich

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found the Tabou Rocket very user friendly the one afternoon I borrowed one in Avon (OBX). I sailed the 135L version (I weigh 183 lbs.), got up on a plane easily on 7.5 in marginal conditions.
isobars

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

gobigkahuna wrote:
I'm located at the far end of the OBX where access to the sound is really limited (almost entirely private property).

When I moved to my present town on the Columbia River, the longtime local WSers said, "There's no place in TriCities to WS. Ya have to drive scores of miles to get away from private property waterfront."

"I can see the river from my deck, but I can't sail on it?" sez I? "We'll just see about that!"

The first three waterfront homeowners whose doors I knocked on quickly agreed to let me sail from their lawns, orchards, and/or boat launches as long as I didn't bring hordes of friends. I now have private access to the best local spots on the few days per year that the wind blows right upriver 10 minutes from my house.

Ask. Can't hurt.
jp5

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kahuna, an older Bic Techno 283 152L would work well for your weight for the descriptions you describe. This board has a wide range for us heavier riders and are quite affordable, if you can find one.
NOVAAN

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you ruff with your equipment go with the Bic. Hard to break them and they work great. The Tabou Rocket 135 or 145 LTD (depending on your skill) is considered the bench mark of free ride boards. I have a skilled friend that is almost your size and he blasts on the 125. Don't go to small or your time on the water will be limited. Go with the smallest board that you can up haul...
joethewindsufa

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes ... the shops @ Hatteras were more mid to high wind based ...
i broke a 490 mast on the way there and had a difficult time replacing it ...
needed a flex top , but ended up CC - sold back home where i got the flex top mast ...

what i like about the BIC 283 suggestion ... longer than newer boards, not so wide and has the daggerboard (if you need it)

surprised people don't suggest the Fanatic Geck or Blast... they are popular here

as an amateur heavyweight windsurfer, I liked my AHD FF 160 which was 80 cm wide, but that was best with 8.x sails - 16 to 20 knots
for 7.x sails and down I prefer 70 cm wide boards which can be used in 20+ knots
25 knots for me is where i prefer on-shore with 6.3 and 63 cm wide board

so, one board to do it all ?? hmmm ...
go for the middle 70 cm wide able to handle 6.3 to 8.x ??
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 1 of 9

Jump to: