myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Two steps forward one step back
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Darbonne

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2017 9:20 am    Post subject: Two steps forward one step back Reply with quote

I have been feeling pretty good about my sailing. Beach starts, pivot jibes, tacks are no problem here on my home water. I have blasted along with the front foot in, and can handle situations that would have left me packing up a few years ago. However I was not prepared for my latest endeavor of going down to Seabrook TX to sail with Konajoe and the Kona group that sails there every Wed. night. They are good, really good. I completely embarrassed myself. The problem was the chop. Way bigger and stronger than the chop here at the same wind speed. The wind was 10-15 straight on shore. I barely got out and when I did I felt like I was stepping on the board for the first time. I am trying to figure out how I can learn to adjust for this without having the benefit of travelling to open water often. Sometimes I think it is time to get that Hobie 16.
manuel

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2017 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is what makes us progress that much more though! Being a little beyond our comfort zone. Doing things that we would not otherwise do. I find that it's best to push ourselves enough while still having fun. When we are struggling or frustrated then we have gone too far Very Happy !
jingebritsen

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2017 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

seen some people have troubles getting in the back strap.

puzzles me a bit.

friend of mine years ago said something quite the opposite, "i never feel really good about my sailing stance until i am in both straps. once there, it is so much more comfortable."

how's that nike slogan go? just do it.

http://www.epicgearusa.com/
boardsurfr

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2017 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's part of the game. Sailing in new conditions, like way more chop or wind than we usually sail in, makes us feel like beginners again. It has happened to me many times, and I have often seen others who are very good windsurfers struggle in conditions that were "new" to them.

It usually takes a few sessions to adapt to the new conditions. The good news is that this adaptation is usually a lot faster than the initial learning. The bad news is that these learning sessions should be reasonably close together. If you sail in big chop or very strong winds only a couple of times a year, it's almost impossible to get comfortable. But if you push through, learn, and adapt your technique, that's permanent. Here on Cape Cod, there a few windsurfers who only come out when it's blowing 30 or more, and the chop is crazy. They may get to sail only a couple of times a year, but they rock every time. Once you got it, you got it.

Don't worry about embarrassing yourself -we've all been there. I recall when a certain cute windsurfer walked upwind every single session, convinced that she could not sail upwind. That even came back a year or two later in difficult conditions, but just very briefly. She now kicks ass in (almost) any condition, has beaten (almost) all male windsurfers in races, and could beat most of them in freestyle.

All the Kona sailors I have met were very friendly, and quite happy to share tips. If you want to get better, try to join the folks at Seabrook again sooner rather than later. You all know now that you can still learn a lot Smile. See what they are doing differently and ask for advice, and you'll probably see improvements within a few sessions.
nw30

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2017 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hobie 16 !?!
Many of my friends that I learned to w'surf with back in the early 80's, sold their cats primarily for one reason they all shared, they were getting tired of being passed by the windsurfers.
That would be 2 steps forward and 16 steps back.
mrgybe

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2017 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I second boardsurfr's comments. I'd only add that, if your home conditions are generally less testing, force yourself to make manoeuvres at the "worst" places. Don't look for that smooth spot to tack or jibe, deliberately go for the nasty chop. Use your legs like pistons to absorb the chop, to keep the board flat and to maintain board speed. Incidentally, if you are struggling with getting into the back strap, your harness lines may be too far forward.
NOVAAN

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2017 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to windsurfing. Progression in our sport is about stepping a bit beyond your comfort zone. For a guy that lives in a windy place, that might be his first time out on a 4.2 day. For others it might be getting the courage to step into the darn back strap or hooking in to that funny line thingy on the boom. Think about how hard your first beach start or water start where. The best way to concur those conditions is to go back and do it again and again. Don't be concerned about what you look like. Nobody cares. Ask the guys for some tips to improve your sailing. Most of all have fun...
NOVAAN

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2017 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On shore winds can be the most difficult conditions to sail...
NOVAAN

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2017 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Go to Bird island or South Padre in April for some good wind and warm shallow water...
NOVAAN

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2017 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't get the Hobie. Once you get on a short board in the straps and harness, blast across the water at 30 mph or more, you will never look at a Hobie again. With the right gear you can go that fast in a lot less wind than you think. It feels like like your going 60 the first time you get it going and working right. Its almost effortless when you do...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: