myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Sailworks Retro's. What quiver sizes?
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mamero

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2017 8:06 pm    Post subject: Sailworks Retro's. What quiver sizes? Reply with quote

I need to replace two of my three Sailworks Retros that were stolen. I am having a hard time deciding what sizes to replace them with. Perhaps it's time to re-evaluate the sail sizes and spacing.

I'm about 140lbs.
My wife is about 115.

The Retros are used around English Bay in Vancouver.

Before the theft my Retro sizes were 5.5 (5.5 is my crossover size in to high wind Revolutions), 6.0, 6.5, 7.5.

5.5 Retro (Not Stolen). Older model. My wife likes this size for moderate wind. This is my largest "high wind" sail. My wife uses it frequently. Myself occasionally. I'm not really considering the 5.5 Retro as part of the plan for the larger Retros replacement.

6.0 Retro. (Stolen) My wife's largest sail and my smallest sail before we drop down to our high wind Revolutions. This size is used quite a bit. A replacement in the same size is required.

6.5 Retro. (Stolen) Too big for my wife. This was my sail for moderate wind. I used it rarely; only twice since I purchased it used in August of 2016. I often would go straight from 7.5 to 6.0 if the wind really picked up. Not sure if I should replace with the same size or maybe 7.0?

7.5 Retro. (NOT stolen). This is my go-to size and currently my largest sail. I use this size about 90% of the time. Usually it feels just right but occasionally it is under-powered when the wind is very light. Sometimes I crave for more power than the 7.5 can deliver. Now that I have just ordered my new Starboard Futura 114 I have potential for an 8.0 or even 8.5. Perhaps I should sell the 7.5. It will no longer match the colors of replacement sails plus it is 3 years old now. It would be nice to have a completely matching quiver of ideally 3 sails (4 sails reluctantly). Should I replace with 7.0, 7.5, 8.0, or 8.5?

Should I replace the 6.0 + 6.5 with the same size that was stolen? Or would it be better to space them a bit wider. Perhaps 6.0, 7.0, + 8.0? Generally the 7.5 is a good size for me so perhaps a 7.0 might feel too small coming from a 7.5 and how often I use it?

I'm trying to minimize the number of sails and masts. I have two 430 masts and one 460. I suppose another way to go would be 6.0, 6.5, 7.5, + 8.5. This would require an additional sail and mast in the quiver which is a large additional expense. A 7.5 rigs on a 460. The 8.0 "should" rig on a 460 as well. An 8.5 however would require the purchase of a 490.

Suggestions? Any important details I missed? Thanks!
kmf

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2017 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A talk with Bruce Peterson at Sailworks would be my call. Who else knows as much about Reto's? And Sailworks has the best customer relations in the business.

KMF
akrausz

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 7:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're on the 7.5 90% of the time, it seems the only immediate need is to replace the 6.0 for your wife. The only other option is a 6.2 Revo...I happen to have an older one and love it. Then once you get the board, you will have the experience of riding it and can add that to the equation. Also I would do more research before considering the 8.0. I presume your boom and fin can handle the 8.0? Maybe ask in the Starboard forum about the 8.0 on the 114. You have to decide how far outside the board's sweet spot makes sense. It would be great if somebody had any 8.0 you could try. Definitely ask Bruce if the 460 will work on the 8.0 at your weight. Can you use a 490 top with a 460 bottom like you can with Ezzy? Do you want two large sails that only you will use? 6.5 is a nice fit for the 114, but if you really want two larger sizes for yourself, then 7.0-8.0 is better spacing, but perhaps overkill. Since your smaller sizes are covered, I would lean towards 6.2 and then keep the 7.5...if Bruce says 6.2 would plane quicker than the 6.0. Is year and color really a high priority? For me, just having a whole quiver of Retros and Revos would be awesome. I think you're biggest question is if you want to replace the 7.5 with an 8.0. An 8.5 on a 114 freeride board seems a little radical to me. I certainly hope you don't get your stuff stolen again...are you able to keep your gear inside your vehicle?
joethewindsufa

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the Futura 114 is 72 cm wide and SB says sail range 5.5 - 9.0
based on that, I would guess best match is 7.0-7.5 sail
OFO is almost 48 cm and as such would take a 48 cm fin ...
here is a video with a 7.8 sail ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D8ZcEoT_7rQ
jingebritsen

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

do you use the lower clew grommet when over powered?

with larger sizes, may be able to skip half meter increments, yet having no single point failure is good also. let's say you rip your 7.0, and the 8 is too big, and the 6 is too small.....

i tend to bunch my size groupings more tightly around the more common sizes.

i have a 9.0 7.2 freespeed

7.5, 6.8, 6.2 phantoms

5.8 airx

5.0, 4.5, and 4.0 phantoms

you can see i primarily get 6.2 to 7.5 sessions

http://www.epicgearusa.com/
grantmac017

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Consider a proper slalom sail for your largest. It'll handle far better op'd and match the character of your board.

-Grant
swchandler

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd forget the 6.5 entirely. Seems like your 7.5 is your ideal all round sail, and only being 3 years old, it should be good for a few more years.

I have a 7.0 Retro, and it's a fabulous sail. I'm totally impressed by its lightness, power and easy handling, particularly when waterstarting. Matched with Sailworks' 100% carbon 460cm Lightstick SDM, it's the best 7.0 rig that I ever owned.

If you are really intent on buying a completely new light wind quiver, I would suggest 6.0, 7.0 and 8.0 given your size and weight. The real upside going with the 7.0 and 8.0 is that you can rig them both on a 460.

The other approach would be to keep the 7.5 and buy an 8.5. However, that would necessitate buying a 490, and I wouldn't recommend getting anything less than the 100% carbon Lightstick if you do. It's important to remember that when you get above 8.0, you really need to think about lightness and good reflex response in the sail and mast, because the extra sail area and boom length makes sail handling a bit more of a chore, especially when it comes to waterstarting and uphauling. Believe you won't regret spending the extra cash for the best possible mast.

Lastly, when thinking about matching colors across your quiver, it's a bit boring having everything be all the same. I like the idea of having some colorful variety in my quiver. Yet, if you want to be more mysterious out on the water, with every sail being the same color scheme it's hard for folks on the beach to see what you're riding.
mamero

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kmf wrote:
A talk with Bruce Peterson at Sailworks would be my call. Who else knows as much about Reto's? And Sailworks has the best customer relations in the business.

KMF

Spoke to them last week before i decided on the Futura. I'll give them a call again.
NOVAAN

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

7.5 to 6.0 is very doable for you. I would just get a 6.5. That leaves nice spacing for you and the wife..
cgoudie1

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 2:20 pm    Post subject: Quiver size Reply with quote

If you were starting over (for yourself), I'd go 8.0, 6.5, 5.5. but,
I wouldn't start over. Your 7.5 can be tuned to pull pretty hard.
An 8.0 might only get you another MPH or 2 lower, but good
pumping technique should be almost as good, not to mention your
new lighter board will likely plane earlier than your old board. A
bigger fin might get you that 1MPH lower planning threshold also.

7.5, 6.5, 5.5 is totally doable (by you). I weigh 185 lbs, and
my Sailworks quiver is 9.5, 6.5, 5.5. It would be better if there were
an 8.0 in there, but I can make 9.5 to 6.5 work, Retros are pretty tunable
(and I do have an old 8.5 NX, but I almost never take that with me).
This is my big gear quiver in Utah.

Try that 7.5 with your new board 1st and see if you can't get by.

-Craig
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: