myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Boards for foiling
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jingebritsen

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 4:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

2 very different alternatives to specific foiling boards. both very versatile in multiple applications.

exocet 8'11" ride and wind SUP 10'

http://www.exocet-original.com/en/windsup-ride-8-11.php

http://www.exocet-original.com/en/windsup-10.php

either one for people that want to keep their lives a little less cluttered

http://www.epicgearusa.com/
coachg

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 9:10 am    Post subject: Re: Foil Boards Reply with quote

CoreAS wrote:
Coachg
From reading reports and watching videos the Naish board and foil seem to work very well. The front wing on the Naish is huge which is clearly a winner in very light winds.

Core,
This is exactly why I ordered the Naish. I wanted to get going in the lightest winds with the smallest sails. I wanted to get going in less than the 10-20 as shown in your video. In those winds I would be screaming with my Falcon 142 & 8.2 sail. I also have a formula board that would go in those winds.

John,
I looked at boards that could do multiple disciplines, but they tended to be more expensive than a dedicated foil board and like any do it all board, not as good at anything. Because I sail at lakes 7,000 feet above sea level down to the ocean my life is cluttered anyway.

My mission was sailing in the lightest of winds using the least amount of space. Sailing at my local lake & fit inside a Prius or sail at large alpine lakes like Tahoe/Almanor & fit inside my Sienna.

Coachg

Last edited by coachg on Thu Oct 26, 2017 11:15 am; edited 1 time in total
PCfoiling

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 4:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Foil Boards Reply with quote

[quote="coachg"]
CoreAS wrote:
Coachg

Core,
This is exactly why I ordered the Naish. I wanted to get going in the lightest winds with the smallest sails. I wanted to get going in less than the 10-20 as shown in your video. In those winds I would be screaming with my Falcon 142 & 8.2 sail. I also have a formula board that would go in those winds.

Coachg

Coachg

In 10-20 I would normally be on a 8.4 and 130 having a so-so time, the puffs in Dallas are so short lived. One guy in the last video was on a 7.6 and formula board and would get going in the puffs but the foil easily gave me the ability to keep going through the lulls....and I was on a 6.4!
I was grinning from ear to ear Smile

The Neil Pryde Flight AL is a remarkable foil for $750, so anyone looking for a foil that will plug into their deep tuttle box board for minimal expense, then I thoroughly recommend the NP foil. It is however not the 10 mph foil!

Moving forward I have ordered the JP Hydrofoil board 135 and will pair with the Naish foil for that super light wind edge. I went with the JP as you can windsurf with a regular fin as well.

I agree with you, I am all about minimal gear, last Friday I foiled with a 7.0 for an hour, then when the wind kicked in, I simply took out the foil and used a 42cm in the same board...this is a dream for me! one board, one rig, with a foil and regular fin...Bingo!

Wind-NC.com

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Clearly, there are a TON of great options out there, which is pretty amazing. We are lucky folks!!

So then it all comes down to figuring out your goals, having an honest understanding of your normal conditions, and then matching it all up with the best kit to make it as fun as possible FOR YOU.

Stoked to see you guys as amped as I am on it!! Foiling truly saved my summer here in Vermont. Even with winter bearing down on us, I'm still getting new gear in and am chomping at the bit to hit the water in the 45 degree air, rain, and 10 knot breezes! Yes, it is THAT much fun! Laughing

http://wind-nc.com
skyking1231

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2017 7:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

would you guys think tail width would be more important than the overall board width ?

wondering if that is the dimension i should be looking at.

ie: 2018 starboard isionic 117 77cm width...tail width 54.4cm from their site.
I was looking at something like the fanatic blast, which isn't that wide...but the tail is wide...but no measurement Sad

not sure if i want to get back into slalom gear.....
coachg

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2017 1:46 pm    Post subject: Foil Boards Reply with quote

As stated earlier, you should match your board with your foil. Any modern board with a foil ready designed box will work. If you don't want to get back into slalom gear, get the Blast. It will cost less. Or, do what I am doing and just get a foil dedicated board if you are going to buy a brand new board. The reason I am opting not for one board that I can foil & windsurf with is I don't want to have to mess with foot straps when switching between the two.

Coachg
skyking1231

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

decisions....decisions..... which is why i am not in a rush. i guess for now...on those lightwind days...i'll going waterskiing or something ....
Wind-NC.com

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

skyking1231 wrote:
would you guys think tail width would be more important than the overall board width ?

wondering if that is the dimension i should be looking at.

ie: 2018 starboard isionic 117 77cm width...tail width 54.4cm from their site.
I was looking at something like the fanatic blast, which isn't that wide...but the tail is wide...but no measurement Sad

not sure if i want to get back into slalom gear.....

Yeah, tail width is certainly something to look at. The wider, the better, really. I was using a Goya Proton 116 quite a bit this summer, with a quite racy foil (AFS-2). The 116 is 71 wide, but has a 49.5cm wide tail. The combo was usable, especially with smaller sails, but anytime I rigged a big sail I really felt like the kit would've performed better with a wider board.

But the thing is, is that it really was a fun, fine experience and overall performance was quite acceptable. You'll find that no matter what board and foil you use, if you put in the time on it, you'll learn the balance points and how to adjust your weight and footstraps and mast base and sail tuning to make it all work for you.

Everything works. Some stuff just works easier or maybe works over a broader wind range when it's matched up perfectly.

I wouldn't stress out on the board too much, as long as it's within the appropriate range and you can uphaul it easily. If you go with a freeride board you should probably stick to the higher volumes, though, since they tend to be narrower and thinner in the tails than the slalom boards. This, of course, is if early flying in super light wind is what you're looking for. As I stated earlier, though- if you're going to be seeing mostly days in the 10-15 knot range, then you can get anything and it'll be fine.

Hope this is all making sense to you... Feel free to let us know your venue, weight, anticipated wind speeds, and if you want something crazy fast or more maneuverable and maybe we can help you make those decisions...

skyking1231

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks...

I am as of now leaning towards a slalom board in the 120ish liter range. Ie isonic 117...or similar. I would probbaly(most likely) get a slalom sail 7.8 for windsurfing..... (why the hell did i sell my 7.7 grrrrr????)

Foiling? Not sure... the fanatic one looks promising...not high performnace...but inexpensive...and seems geared for the low wind range....my target windrange would be less than 15....so maybe 10-15..or possibly lower? I would dump the foil as soon as i could windsurf on said board with a 7.8 sized sail.

On a side note.... watched a couple of yuotube vids on formula boards....never realized how effecient they are .... but its almost like you windsurfing on a laser
Wind-NC.com

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

skyking1231 wrote:
I would dump the foil as soon as i could windsurf on said board with a 7.8 sized sail.

Maybe... maybe not... Wink I find myself foiling in more and more wind these days... easily into the high teens and low 20s, especially if it's really holey/up and down wind. The foils just fly through the lulls with so much ease...

The scenarios can be a bit tricky to figure out sometimes-

Say you're foiling along nicely with your 7.8 and the wind bumps up from 8-10 mph to 12-18 mph. The question then becomes- do you swap the 7.8 for a 5.0, or swap the foil for a regular fin?

Well, that's up to you, but I really like sailing my 5.0s, personally.... And really like the feeling of flying on the foils. You can even be jumping and starting to scare yourself a bit on the foil in that kind of wind, if you want to push it a bit... Jibing is fast and tricky, and some of the better folks are even throwing flat water back loops and similar tricks in that kind of medium-light wind.

Of course, your mileage may vary, and maybe freeride BAFing is your cup of tea. Tough to go wrong, both regular freeride windsurf and foiling are really fun in that wind range!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 3 of 9

Jump to: