myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Boards for foiling
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
skyking1231

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 7:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

it seems everyone is making a foil (fanatic, SB, RRD)....or perhaps they are just slapping their logos on them?

one thing is...around here there are some spots that you can't really foil... too shallow...or weeds are too heavy...
PCfoiling

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Video from last Saturday - wind was nice early in the afternoon and got really light as the day went on. it was 14-18mph then dropped to 7-13 mph.

https://youtu.be/x1ysS_VvOsU

4 foilers all of us on different sized boards (liters below)..

RRD 122 with NP foil & 6.4 sail
JP 168 with NP foil and 6.0 sail
Horue 90 with Horue foil and 6.4 sail
Fanatic 104 with Slingshot foil and 6.4 sail

Now that Ive had some practice with the pumping and being much more effecient I can now glide through the <10 mph lulls.

Much like regular windsurfing your body weight/size will in the beginning effect your ability to fly in super light winds, and a solid pumping technique will change that..once the wind picks up the width & size of the board will matter much less.

Wind-NC.com

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

skyking1231 wrote:
it seems everyone is making a foil (fanatic, SB, RRD)....or perhaps they are just slapping their logos on them?

one thing is...around here there are some spots that you can't really foil... too shallow...or weeds are too heavy...

Yes, lots of brands getting into it! Good for consumers to have so many options, as long as you have help weeding through it all and can find the right foil for *you*.

As far as your launches go- Some of the aluminum foils are modular and you can buy shorter masts for them. Slingshot goes down to 15" masts and Naish goes down to 20" masts, so not much deeper than a standard slalom fin.

For weeds, if they are not too thick and they're just floating on the surface, they don't have too much of an effect. If they're growing out of the bottom, or if they're thick enough to create mats/rafts on the surface, then you'll want to go somewhere else. Wind quality isn't actually all that important, so have a look around your area and you're bound to find somewhere that will work well, even if it isn't one of your normal launches.

We have a big FAQs and Buyer's Guide on our website that attempts to answer most of these questions/concerns. Feel free to check it out:

https://shop.wind-nc.com/blogs/news/windsurfing-hydro-foil-faq-buyers-guide-tips-comparison-info

http://wind-nc.com
Wind-NC.com

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CoreAS- That's awesome, and great that you have a little crew to go sail with! Before foiling, how many people were stoked to be sailing on a 7-13mph day??

http://wind-nc.com
brynkaufman2

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2017 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am riding a JP 155 foil board with the Naish Thrust WS foil. I also have the Naish Lift 5.7 sail. I tried 2 other foils before the Naish and definitely like the Naish foil the best for my needs.

I think the Naish board with the adjustable track is better than a fixed tuttle box. I would love to move the foil forward on my setup as my back leg often takes more weight than my front leg and then gets tired.

The small, light sails have spoiled me. I do not want to use anything larger and am currently testing just how light I can go with the Lift 5.7. Once wind gusts reach 18mph to 23mph I am good on a 4.7 Superfreak.

I would like to see a board the size of the JP 155 with more in board foot strap options and a track like the Naish foil board. That would be the perfect board for me.

I could move the foil forward so I would use less back leg pressure, and I could get into the straps before pumping which would help me start up in lighter winds.

Now I can get my front foot in the strap, then I pump, then once moving on the water I can slip my back foot in and then lift off, but the out board strap positions make it hard to have both feet in the straps and lean the sail forward and pump.
Goodwind

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2017 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"I would like to see a board the size of the JP 155 with more in board foot strap options and a track like the Naish foil board. That would be the perfect board for me."
Why looking for another board? Strap options should be a cheap fix. Locally in the Bay Area, John Miller added a pair of foot straps inserts for me a couple of months ago for $80. He said he got quite a bit of new business from foilers wanting to add foot strap inserts to their boards.
brynkaufman2

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2017 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will consider that, but that means adding some padding too.

I realize I can also add a track to the board too, but not sure I am ready to tear up the board like that and put it back together.

The new Exocet foil board seems to have more foot strap options and be more in board but they still just offer a deep tuttle box at the back of the board. It is a step though in the right direction.
grantmac017

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2017 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Manta has an inflatable with two fin boxes and a ton of strap locations. Also their hard board has quite a few strap options.
brynkaufman2

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 2:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like what Manta is doing with an inflatable and two tuttle boxes.

I like this Zeeko even better. All windfoil boards will hopefully come with the option of a track or tuttle box.

http://zeeko-kites.com/gb/windfoils/359-windfoil-board-sun7-for-zeeko.html

Here is what they say about their plate system.

PLATE CONNECTOR SYSTEM AND US RAILS

The connector between foil and board is one of the most important part. Through this piece, the whole forces and information are transmitted to the rider. Therefore, this connector must be as stiff as possible, in a way to offer maximum feel of the foil. That is why Zeeko chose a plate system to connect the foil, which offers the most rigid connexion compared to other connectors on the market.

Moreover, board connector spreads forces across all the surface, insuring better sturdiness and longevity for the us rails box.

US rails allows you to set the windfoil position up or downward, to adapt its performance according to wind condition. In this way, we place hydrofoil backward for maximum control in strong wind, and upward for a better start to planning in light wind.

Finally, plate system and US rails allow to mount and unmount the foil without removing the screws from the board, nor turning the board over to attach the foil. In this way, manipulating your gear is way more fast and practical.
PCfoiling

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wind-NC.com wrote:
CoreAS- That's awesome, and great that you have a little crew to go sail with! Before foiling, how many people were stoked to be sailing on a 7-13mph day??

Hi Wind NC

There is 7/8 of us now, its really cool as we can do some foil analysis and compare each brand and the technology etc.

I personally would not entertain going sailing unless its around 15+ and would go off for SUP down winders in lighter winds! Now all that has completely changed and I get excited to see 10-15 days.. Ha!

If anyone is interested we have a Facebook group called North Texas Foiling and welcome anyone that is foiling or is thinking of learning, we love to swap ideas and equipment stories etc

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 4 of 9

Jump to: