myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Boards for foiling
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wind-NC.com

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dmilovich wrote:
@Andy -

Great informed commentary by you and the others. Just wanted to point out that in your video, at 0:44, one can see something large and white in the center of your big foil just before you crash.

Wonder if that's your foil ventilating, perhaps due to the streamline working its way down the vertical mast to the horizontal foil? Perhaps you might want to point your camera downwards more and analyze this phenomena more closely.

If the ventilation is indeeed "walking" its way down the mast, you could ask Tony Logosz to supply you with different masts to try. Something with a sharp leading edge where it typically penetrates the water may reduce the suction and streamlining (for want of a better word). This approach was used by Greg Ketterman with the Trifoiler, many years back. Another alternative (dare I suggest) might be a fence. There's a lot to discuss here, but the first step may be to build on your excellent video technique, (and winter sailing skills!)

Thanks for the great discussion, all.

Hmmmm... so you want me to crash on purpose?? Laughing

I'll check to see if I still have the raw footage from that day. If so, I can get a nice slo-mo clip of that couple of seconds. I remember it feeling like maybe the back wing cut loose first, so we probably aren't getting the whole story from the video... but yeah, I could definitely film some more with the camera pointing more downward next time I head out.

http://wind-nc.com
dmilovich

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@Andy - Ha, exactly, please crash but be sure to look back at the foil as you go over. No, no, no, but that's funny (for me, not you).

Anyway, you wrote some days back, "...Some of them will gurgle and give you a bit of a head's up..." I heard that from a foiling friend here in Utah, too. Maybe that's an acoustic clue coming from below?

Would be easy for Tony to shape you a different leading edge on the upper end of a mast to try. He just needs to take a grinder to one of his stock masts (Tell him I sent ya with that idea, he'll love it, ha) But I did a little research and found some correlating opinions on narrow edges where it pierces the water. Although there doesn't seem to be a consensus as to why it helps, but some think the "less-peaky" suction of a fine edge versus a typical good foil shape is what helps keep the air from heading down the foil (mast).
wdsurf

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2017 6:00 pm    Post subject: Foil noises Reply with quote

My Horue 85cm mast LW foil is silent except when it cavitates at full height just gives a gurlgle at first I crashed a few times but now you can feel it and can,t hear it when I have my music on.and considering board length my Horue tiny 120 got me spoiled with its 213cm length 6-10inx75.8cm width 29.85in and ultra light weight never weighed it???only have since Memorial Day in a he straps so I,m by no means a expert.have no other experience with any other foil excep the ahd Andy let me demo this spring at the hole in hatteras.
PCfoiling

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last weekend was light winds but it was a great day to test and check out 4 different foil brands!

Each board and foil has a unique characteristic but all will get you flying.

https://youtu.be/MYhkitJcSgs

jfeehan

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

gregnw44 wrote:
Joe,
Look for an old Starboard Go board, late 90's to mid 2000's. There's gotta be one of those gathering dust in someone's garage up in your area. They have a deep Tutle box... are strong enough (but still light enough)... and have added length, which means WAY easier "splash-downs" from foil-out's. And easy touch n go's. We all do lots of that stuff, while learning.

i have one of these old Go boards - my kids learned to sail on it and still use it a lot.

i guess i kind of figured it was too heavy for foiling...
gregnw44

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, Go boards aren't too heavy for windfoiling.

Of course, very little was known about all this a year ago, to the average recreational windsurfer. I wondered the same thing back then. As more and more people around the world experiment with all this, the limits will be found. But as we've learned, the limit will be a lot bigger and heavier than a Go board Smile
There is a ton of lift and support provided by these wings, traveling through water at 15 mph. So board size and wing size (and the rest the geometry) will be experimented with.
Regarding Go boards, I know personally of 4 of them being used... and all of them quite successfully. 2 in the Gorge, foiled a LOT. and 2 in Seattle, foiled some (we don't have much wind here). The windfoils on the 4 Go boards I know about... 2 LP's - 1 AFS - 1 Slingshot... all working fine.

jfeehan

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been looking for a freeride board that can serve as a first planing short board for my two daughters who are at that stage - something around 130 liters, ~70-75cm wide.

I would also like a board for foiling. I already have a starboard Go, with a deep tuttle box that i will start out on, but I'm thinking I will want something abit lighter.

some of the board makers now have foil versions of their existing freeride boards - more or less the same boards, but available with a strong deep tuttle box. Starboard has foiling versions of the Carve, and Fanatic has a foiling version of the Gecko.

Do you guys with foiling experience think this would be a good way to go so that i only have to buy one new board? Would the Carve IQ 131 make a good foiling board?

or, should i just bite the bullet and get two boards?
brynkaufman2

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You will have an answer to your question once you start on the Go board.

What I mean is you will see how much you like foiling from that experience.

If you end up like me and only want to foil, then you know to buy the best board for foiling, regardless of whether it is good for regular windsurfing.

If you think you will be doing 50/50 foiling/regular windsurfing, than a crossover board probably makes more sense.

I have only used a JP 155 foil board, so I can't comment on how easy or hard it is on other boards. I think though if the board is wide and light and rounded so it does not dig into the water when you touch down you will enjoy foiling more.

That is how the JP 155 foil board is and I think it works well.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
Page 9 of 9

Jump to: