myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Light Wind Neil Pryde F4 foiling
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PCfoiling

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2018 5:34 pm    Post subject: Light Wind Neil Pryde F4 foiling Reply with quote

Lightest wind I think I have ever foiled in! my pumping technique is getting better, that's for sure Smile A year ago I would never of even contemplated going out in less than 15 mph.. stoked!

Wind 8-12 mph (and shifty)
Water temp 40 degF (cold for Dallas, Texas)
I'm 195 lbs on a NP 7.7 V8 and NP F4 Foil
Board - 225 x 79 @ 122 liters

https://youtu.be/UmwxsHnFYsE

dcharlton

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2018 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beautiful! Nice footage, not a white cap in sight and your cruising along, can't wait to get the hang of foiling!

DC
joethewindsufa

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2018 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RRD X-Fire 122 ??
did you need to have the fin box re-enforced or ??
PCfoiling

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2018 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DC - once you get foiling down it changes everything! last 3 months I'm now at 18 foil sessions with 5 regular windsurfs. Its the answer for marginal days, gusty days, shifty days etc. My fellow Dallas foilers are flying in less winds than I am, its unreal Smile

Joe - Yes Sir that board is 6.5 years old, hundreds of regular windsurfing sessions and I have used 3 different foils and so far not even a scratch! its remarkable..

bert

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2018 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice video..thanks for sharing. I've been thinking about getting the NP F4 foil after a season on the Slingshot but the missus will probably will throw me out for spending another 2K on my "hobby" Sad
grantmac017

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2018 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Been trying to track down an X-fire 135 for foiling and freeride. Seems those that have them aren't giving them up!
PCfoiling

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Bert - Yes the F4 is upper end of the $ scale but worth every penny! Once you get that foil flying it locks you in through the lightest of lulls, the mast is 95cm and so you really have to mess up for it to breach on you!

Getting the extra $$ past the missus is the hard part, wish I had some tactical advice for you but we all now how it ends..ha!

Hey Grant - Yes the RRD's are very difficult to find and the 135 will be a fine board to go foiling on "IF" you can find one.

I almost sold my 122 last year, so glad I did not, its worked very well so far!

gregnw44

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 3:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Light Wind Neil Pryde F4 foiling Reply with quote

CoreAS wrote:
Lightest wind I think I have ever foiled in! my pumping technique is getting better, that's for sure Smile A year ago I would never of even contemplated going out in less than 15 mph.. stoked!

Wind 8-12 mph (and shifty)
Water temp 40 degF (cold for Dallas, Texas)
I'm 195 lbs on a NP 7.7 V8 and NP F4 Foil
Board - 225 x 79 @ 122 liters

https://youtu.be/UmwxsHnFYsE

Dean... again... you guys are really doing great at all this... and all the pics / vids are great... thank so much for all the continued data and info !!!

So this is the lightest wind you (195 lbs.) have foiled in (8-12 mph)... and I think it's one of your first times, out on the F4?
A question -
Weren't you mostly using a Slingshot (or was it a Naish) before??
People say, those two models are likely "the early flying" foils, I think. The designs that will get you up flying in less wind, than other designs.
And I "thought" the F4 needed a little bit more wind, to get flying.
At least, this is what people say... I know we're at the initial stages of learning about al this.. but looking at those designs, "those ideas" make sense.
HOWEVER... this is the "lightest wind" you've gone flying in. So what's your assessment of the early take-off capabilities (or speed needed) for the two foils you've used ???

(NOTE - I also know you're really improving with each session. So it's obvious you're getting better at pumping... and more efficient at take-off... and staying air-born. Therefore no doubt, all your skills are getting better day by day, no matter which foil you use.)

Anyway, thanks for your thoughts Smile

PCfoiling

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Gregg

all great questions and glad you're enjoying our videos (for those interested we have a facebook page called North Texas Foiling - all is welcome).

When we all talk wind minimums I guarantee each beach in the US will have a different answer and we must be careful when describing our conditions, and I agree with your other posts about rider weight, sail size as well as experience etc. Another thing to consider is your local environment..

I grew up sailing on the south coast of England since '85, the wind was pretty consistent (sure we had a few crazy days) but nothing prepared me for in-land, fresh water & crazy gusty winds like Dallas, TX.
A really good late spring to early fall typical day is 10-20 mph. Now from reading some windsurfers on the forum you would be on 5.5 and 100 liter board!

In Dallas that means 10m on formula board or 8.5 on a 135 liter freeride.

I didn't break out a 7.8 until a forecasted 15-20 which actually means 8-22. The winds here have huge holes, the winds shift sometimes by each run, it will drive you insane sometimes!

I teach windsurfing and SUP and until this last fall would rather go on a SUP down winder in 8-12 mph, nothing and I mean nothing would get my ass out on the lake free windsurfing in that!

Foiling has changed everything - I have not practised pumping my rig to this degree ever since I raced mega cats back in the early 90's but to get my 195 lbs lump going in 8-12 I have learned to embrace it, lol.
Its hard work sometimes but the reward of pumping on a 10/11 mph puff and gliding through 7/8 is mind blowing to me and I'm doing it on a 7.7 Smile

Here is the real kicker - I am foiling all the way up to 22 mph+! why I hear some people say? because we have lulls and holes of 8,9,10 and so on.
I can foil for hours with one board, 2 sails and a boom and go home never skunked and grinning from ear to ear. I will still go regular windsurfing but now its likely to be 20-30 mph (depending on the location of course)..

Lastly - I have 3 foils (different mast lengths) the NP Flight Aluminum 85cm, Naish Thrust 70cm and NP F4 95cm.

I used the NP AL to learn on and spent a good 15+ sessions on it. The Naish I have used maybe 6-7 times and the F4 that was my 4th session. I have also foiled a Horue (for a brief time) Every foil has its plus and minus and there is no "Holy Grail"...yet!

For me, I think I know which one is easier to foil, which one foils up quickest and which one is out-right the quickest. It is a lot of fun testing and trying each foil, and I'll try and be more detailed with each foil video so it can maybe help people choose or get a better idea etc..

one thing for sure with Foiling... I am all in Smile

gregnw44

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 4:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

< For me, I think I know which one is easier to foil, which one foils up quickest and which one is out-right the quickest. >

Yes, that's what I'd like to know... from your experience... "which one foils up the quickest"
Thanks -

PS - The Lake I usually sail in has the same inconsistent up and down wind as your lake. Except, we just have less of it. It sounds like you get a lot of 8-22 mph wind. However, we get a lot of 4-15 mph wind.

Next HOWEVER... if we ever get a 10-20 day, like in your example... we would rig like you guys. A FW and a 10m sail... or an 8.5 & 135L freeride... or a longboard and any sail from 6 to 10m size.

Thanks again, and keep up the good work Smile

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: