myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Boards for foiling
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
skyking1231

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 8:04 am    Post subject: Boards for foiling Reply with quote

For those that foil...or have foiled. What is a good board ?
I’m sure all the foil board Rd are good. But what about windsurf boards for foiling? Ie isonics, Xfires, falcons....it gecko/blast(foil edition).
Some of these boards are foil ready but have a width of 70cm. Is 70cm too narrow? What would be a good width...or minimum? When I do get into foiling ...I am looking for a board that can be foiled as well as good WS board .
grantmac017

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I personally didn't like a narrower board (70cm) although it could have been the specific one and conditions. An old Formula seems to work for most people around here.
Wind-NC.com

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi there, glad to hear that you're thinking about foiling. It is SO MUCH FUN in what otherwise would generally be considered poor windsurfing conditions. I am fully hooked and it completely saved my summer which was full of 8-12 knot days, but rarely anything stronger.

Anyway, as with anything windsurf, when possible, you want to match up all of your bits and pieces to make them work well- As in, you don't really put a 50 cm slalom fin on an 85 liter wave board and expect it to work very well... and it's the same with foiling.

There are many different types of foils already on the market, which is amazing. If you have a look, some have wings that are really low aspect- wide and thick, and others have wings that are higher aspect- narrow and thin. Think of this just as you would a regular windsurf fin- Wave fins tend to have more chord length and rounded edges, and you can ride skinnier boards on them since all of the lift is up close to the board and they aren't torquing the board all over the place. Race fins tend to be narrow and straight, and you need wider tailed boards to help leverage them and control all of the torque that the fins are creating. Same thing with foil wings.

The "Wave" foils can be ridden on narrower boards and you can stand up a bit straighter, even have your back foot in towards the center line for just cruising around.

The race foils need a wider tail board so that you can get way out on the rail and leverage it to keep it flying straight and true. If you stick to the centerline on a race foil, the board will roll uncontrollably, so you need to get out on the rail and push down hard with your feet.

So, if you want to go fast, get a really wide tail board and a race foil.

If you want to go slower and have a more playful ride, get a foil with a wider chord length, and you can use a narrower board and be just fine.

You can always use a wave foil on a wide board and just move your feet in towards the middle. But it's tough to go the other way around and use a race foil on a narrower board.

70 cm does seem to be about the minimum width that you're looking for with a wave foil. Race foils are happier with 85-100cm wide boards. The more width that they carry through the tail, the better they'll be for foiling. Sounds like you're looking at pure slalom boards for the most part- they'll be great! Most of the 2018 slalom boards will have foil ready deep tuttle fin boxes. There are lots of foil ready free-race type boards that are becoming available as well, which are a nice option if you want something a bit easier to sail on a day to day basis. Goya Bolts, Tabou Rocket Wides, RRD FireStorm and FireRides, etc etc etc etc....

Fun times!

http://wind-nc.com
NOVAAN

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great explanation. I have a 2016 RRD Firestorm 112. Its 70cm wide. What foil would be controllable on this board.
Wind-NC.com

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NOVAAN wrote:
Great explanation. I have a 2016 RRD Firestorm 112. Its 70cm wide. What foil would be controllable on this board.

Cool. I can't remember- is that board deep tuttle or regular tuttle? For aluminum foils, the Naish Thrust or Slingshot FWind1 would work well. For Carbon, the GoFoil Maliko. I'm sure that there are lots of others as well.

The Naish will have a regular tuttle adapter available if necessary... Most of the others are only available with deep tuttle.

NOVAAN

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reg tuttle box
Wind-NC.com

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NOVAAN wrote:
Reg tuttle box

Cool, yeah, so the Naish would be a great option. LP has a regular tuttle box foil available as well, but you'll just want to double check their wing options and maybe ask them about which would work best with a 70cm wide board. I used their original model with a 71cm wide slalom board and it was pretty good but I think that they have new models available now...

PCfoiling

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know anyone Foiling with a regular Tuttle box so cannot comment on longevity, we are all using deep tuttle! There is a lot of pressure and stress on a foil.

I'm using a RRD X-fire 122 (225x79) with NP RS flight Aluminum foil. I need a good 12-14 mph wind to get going (but I also weigh 195 lbs) the other guys are using carbon Horue with dedicated Horue boards that can clearly get up flying in lighter winds.

The dedicated Foil boards have a thick/square tail with plenty of volume which helps you pump up on the foil, it definitely helps in the lighter winds.

Foiling is just like the other disciplines you can always make do with certain equipment but if you really want to fly with 1.5 meter less sail you got to get the right kit.

quick vid from last week..

https://youtu.be/gkC_wiMDioc

bert

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whatever board you use, make sure you can uphaul it as that is part of the equation when you are foiling in much lighter winds.
jingebritsen

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 4:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i have the 8'11" ride from exocet.

i personally have ridden it enough to say it is great as a windSUP, side shore regular windsurfing wave catcher, adequate as a free ride.

still deciding about which foil to get.

http://www.exocet-original.com/en/windsup-ride-8-11.php

video of jean foiling in SF bay. BTW, lots of the folks over there have experienced board failures due to foils. pay attention to potential problems.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Onqd8gVVqQI

http://www.epicgearusa.com/
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 1 of 9

Jump to: