myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Wing sail is reality now
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 16, 17, 18 ... 23, 24, 25  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
killogramm

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cgoudie1 wrote:
As has been said, it can get very windy in the Gorge, and the terrain can
be really dynamic. Premium conditions of 30MPH winds and 10ft swell
do occur, but more often it's 18-28 with some square 4 ft chop
(sometimes on top of swell like Mike says). I have sailed (if you can
call it that) into 45MPH gusts, and we've taken beatings in winds averaging
10-45 (MPH btw). Actually I've seen wind that's negative in the holes
at Avery on a bad NW day, but that's another story.

It's the terrain that makes it fun there. If the wind stays up for any length of time, good swells develop even in 18MPH winds.

Here's a clip I edited (which has way too much slow motion in it or so I've been told), but it's pretty representative of the conditions we typically see.

https://www.youtube.com/edit?o=U&video_id=Vf49hCXjZKw

To deal with the wind range there, I have sails 3.2, 3.7, 4.2, 4.7, 5.2, 5.7 and when really desperate 6.7. One sail instead of 7 is seductive
to say the least. I would however need a sail that transitions quickly, since
I spend most of my time swell riding.

-Craig

p.s. I also want a 1 board quiver, could you get started on that design
as well. ;*)

killogramm wrote:
westender wrote:
It's a speed sail, race sail and one size fits all sail? Do you think it would be an advantage in Gorge conditions?
I don't know Gorge conditions. How it is there?
Hi Graig. For sure wing can handle your wind range easily. You can go fast or slow or even just stay stationary on 40 kt wind. but here is the problem, your 3 meter sail extracting energy from air using 3 m surface with very low efficiency, while wing, using 5.8 meter surface with Hi efficiency. On flat water when I blasting in full speed drag /lift equalize and all this speed comes effortless . I really don't know how effortless it feels if you shoot all this energy from 10ft wave. Maybe some crazy guys love it , but I'm in the age of reason.
killogramm

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

techno900 wrote:
The concept of one sail does all still is hard to buy. Last week I was on a number of sails and boards from a 9.2 race sail on a 160L formula board in 10-15 winds - hitting a top speed of 25.9 mph--------To a 4.0 sail on a 96L board in winds from 25-35 mph and a top speed of 30.4 mph. Still a skeptic.
Well, I know with our sailing experience it is hard to believe. First of all I do not advertise as one sail does it all. For example , wave sail, absolutely flat , low efficiency, so you do not overran waves. What I say, wing aerodynamics superior to curved plate profile, Fact very well known even in basic aerodynamics. Many sail companies invested considerable efforts to development of reversible asymmetrical profile and FAIL . My wing design is success. Now I can report that I have wing sail Packed with power, stability , speed, and virtually unlimited wind range. When I sail in 25 mph wind , I use 5.8 wing, 70 liter board 25 cm fin, average speed 29 mph top speed 36.5 .
isobars

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

killogramm wrote:
For example , wave sail, absolutely flat , low efficiency, so you do not overran waves.

Many of us love using full-bellied, zero-outhaul tension wave sails designed to luff or remain at full power, at the rider's option, one second at a time. We may finesse one wave luffed, then drop the hammer and leave the next wave -- or just the next big chunk of chop on the same wave ... in our dust ... er, our spray. Or we may change our minds and our direction in well under a second, aided -- or not -- by sheeting completely in, out, and back in again all within the temporal space of a couple of heartbeats. i.e., whether we slow down and stay on one face or blast down one face to jump off the wind up the back of the preceding wave is our choice, and we change our minds almost with each new heartbeat if we so chose. That's one of the joys of WSing and of my previous snow and/or motorized sports: choices, second by second, as fast as we can make and execute them. Considering how few cammed sails, let alone double luff sails, could even begin to keep up with all that, I can't imagine a whole double sail maneuvering that rapidly.
westender

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This could be the greatest invention since the self driving car.
killogramm

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 12:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

isobars wrote:
killogramm wrote:
For example , wave sail, absolutely flat , low efficiency, so you do not overran waves.

Many of us love using full-bellied, zero-outhaul tension wave sails designed to luff or remain at full power, at the rider's option, one second at a time. We may finesse one wave luffed, then drop the hammer and leave the next wave -- or just the next big chunk of chop on the same wave ... in our dust ... er, our spray. Or we may change our minds and our direction in well under a second, aided -- or not -- by sheeting completely in, out, and back in again all within the temporal space of a couple of heartbeats. i.e., whether we slow down and stay on one face or blast down one face to jump off the wind up the back of the preceding wave is our choice, and we change our minds almost with each new heartbeat if we so chose. That's one of the joys of WSing and of my previous snow and/or motorized sports: choices, second by second, as fast as we can make and execute them. Considering how few cammed sails, let alone double luff sails, could even begin to keep up with all that, I can't imagine a whole double sail maneuvering that rapidly.
All rigjt its not for waves. I compleatly dont understand your terminology.
joethewindsufa

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 6:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

^ don't get isobars started
we are already on page 17 !!! Embarassed
isobars

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll shoot for 17 words, Joe. Smile

killogramm wrote:
I compleatly dont understand your terminology.

The only term I used that isn't mainstream WSing is "temporal space" ... time ... arguably the fourth dimension.
killogramm

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

isobars wrote:
I'll shoot for 17 words, Joe. Smile

killogramm wrote:
I compleatly dont understand your terminology.

The only term I used that isn't mainstream WSing is "temporal space" ... time ... arguably the fourth dimension.
don't you get it yet? I'm not mainstream windsurfing socialite . I'm inventor who made proper reversible aerofoil for small watercraft. You as an end user should say thank you. That's all
isobars

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

westender wrote:
This could be the greatest invention since the self driving car.

Great analogy. I love driving (on remote, empty highways, that is), and I love turning often and hard on empty swell. I would voluntarily forego neither in search of simplicity or technology.
westender

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would chip in for some shipping if Kilo would send a sail to Graig so we can see if it's all it's cracked up to be. I know many would be interested. Iso has to do most of the driving though.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 16, 17, 18 ... 23, 24, 25  Next
Page 17 of 25

Jump to: