myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Wing sail is reality now
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 17, 18, 19 ... 23, 24, 25  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
isobars

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

killogramm wrote:
You as an end user should say thank you. That's all

I very much admire your effort, and am willing to assume your sail is the best in the world for some specific objectives. Its price and materials impress me very favorably. But since its objectives (other than a huge wind range) do not apply to my chosen sailing style, I will not be an end user. I have no use for a 230 mph street legal car, a second home not on wheels (i.e., one that won't chase wind), or a lifetime free pass to any or all sporting events.
killogramm

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

isobars wrote:
killogramm wrote:
You as an end user should say thank you. That's all

I very much admire your effort, and am willing to assume your sail is the best in the world for some specific objectives. Its price and materials impress me very favorably. But since its objectives (other than a huge wind range) do not apply to my chosen sailing style, I will not be an end user. I have no use for a 230 mph street legal car, a second home not on wheels (i.e., one that won't chase wind), or a lifetime free pass to any or all sporting events.
so I guess, no thank you, ha. Allright, Im fine with that too. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=qPh-cCAVGTA
isobars

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

killogramm wrote:
so I guess, no thank you, ha. Allright, Im fine with that too.

I deliberately avoided saying that because it could be misconstrued as denigrating your admirable efforts and achievements.
coachg

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 10:43 am    Post subject: Fin/Sail/Board balance Reply with quote

[quote="killogramm"]
techno900 wrote:
When I sail in 25 mph wind , I use 5.8 wing, 70 liter board 25 cm fin

The huge wind range in your sail brings up a hole lot of other questions in board/fin/sail setup. The above setup could be on major reason for your inability to jibe. Throwing your sail size out of the equation a 25 cm fin on a 70 liter board at a glance appears to be a huge miss match in 25 mph average winds. Perhaps a much smaller fin? With your sail balance fin/board against wind speed instead of sail size?

Coachg
techno900

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

coachg posted:
Quote:
techno900 wrote:
When I sail in 25 mph wind , I use 5.8 wing, 70 liter board 25 cm fin

Techno didn't write that, Killogramm did.

For me in 25 mph winds at 170 lbs. I am on a 5.2 sail and a 96L board with a 22cm weed/wave fin.
alap

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

for me too 5.0 is married with 90 liter board, but in 30+mph

sailing 5.8 wing with 70 liter board sounds strange, but OK if this 5.8 delivers a steady uninterrupted pull it is probably possible (from what I read pro slalom guys use the biggest possible sail with a smallest possible board)

What I still don't understand is the lowest range. Like this 5.8 in 14 knots on the same 70 liters board? Me in 14 knots, I'll be uphauling my 8.5 on 145 liter free race and then waiting for the puffs to pump it on the plane. There is no way I can waterstart it in this wind.

So kilo, how you start in 14 knots on 70 liter? uphauling on 70 liter is obviously impossible. And even if your 5.8 aerodynamics is superior and it generates the same lift as conventional 6.5... still waterstarting 6.5+70 liter in 14 knots sounds impossible to me.
killogramm

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

alap wrote:

sailing 5.8 wing with 70 liter board sounds strange, but OK if this 5.8 delivers a steady uninterrupted pull it is probably possible (from what I read pro slalom guys use the biggest possible sail with a smallest possible board)

What I still don't understand is the lowest range. Like this 5.8 in 14 knots on the same 70 liters board? Me in 14 knots, I'll be uphauling my 8.5 on 145 liter free race and then waiting for the puffs to pump it on the plane. There is no way I can waterstart it in this wind.

So kilo, how you start in 14 knots on 70 liter? uphauling on 70 liter is obviously impossible. And even if your 5.8 aerodynamics is superior and it generates the same lift as conventional 6.5... still waterstarting 6.5+70 liter in 14 knots sounds impossible to me.
Scroll down my Facebook page, Octouber9 there is onsite wind report and video from that day. I have two boards JP speed 55 70 liters and Exocet slalom 58 cm wide and 1 cm shorter than speed board. On 17 mph wind I use my 58 cm board. I'll post picture later today.
alap

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

using the same units (like liters for example) instead of width and length (like length 1 cm shorter Smile ) will definitely help
killogramm

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

o.k.
alap wrote:
using the same units (like liters for example) instead of width and length (like length 1 cm shorter Smile ) will definitely help
exoset board dont have liters posted only width and length pics of boards posted on facebook
isobars

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 11:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

alap wrote:

Sounds very strange. Both my buds and many strangers tell me I rig way too big, but at 30 mph average I'll be powered up very well with a 4.2 or 3.7. I'd also be on a 65 liter board, whether it was averaging 30 or 25 (good solid 5.2-4.7 conditions, depending on the site). I save the 90L boards for truly lousy conditions where flotation is more important than ultimate maneuverability. (My weight has varied from 175 to >195.)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 17, 18, 19 ... 23, 24, 25  Next
Page 18 of 25

Jump to: