myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
What is it about Alabama?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 25, 26, 27  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Politics, Off-Topic, Opinions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
swchandler

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NW30, the changeover to a mileage based tax from the current fuel based one would have arguably little affect on me because I'm not driving very much these days. Probably under 3000 miles this year, and my older van gets about 10 mpg.
mat-ty

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nw30 wrote:
swchandler wrote:
Thanks mat-ty for the link to The Balance website's review of the Senate and House tax plans. It is arguably the most complete and informative article I've seen to date.

Regarding the massive cut to the corporate tax rate, corporations hardly need a tax cut since most successful players are already awash in boatloads of cash today. Also, it's unlikely that tax cuts with lead to more jobs and higher wages for workers, since history doesn't tend to back it up. Increased demand is what leads to expansion and long term economic growth. The sure fired way to stimulate demand and growth is the expansion of a more vibrant and robust middle class. Yet the way that the tax plan is structured, the middle class sees very little benefit overall, and potentially loses any tax cut not that far into the future.

Then you wouldn't be in favor of a new mileage tax that is being proposed here in Ca.
http://sanfrancisco.cbslocal.com/2017/12/11/california-considers-mileage-tax/
That is a tax that would hurt the working middle class more than anyone else, a terrible idea.

They should Tax, cheap wine, cigarettes, sneakers, and baby cloths. That would even things out.
nw30

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

swchandler wrote:
NW30, the changeover to a mileage based tax from the current fuel based one would have arguably little affect on me because I'm not driving very much these days. Probably under 3000 miles this year, and my older van gets about 10 mpg.

It would have almost no effect on me as well, I've retired, but you seemed to be concerned with the middle class, as am I, so do you think it's a good idea?

I find it ironic, the state getting cheated out of gas tax $$ because of all the electric and hybrid cars, which the state supposedly loves. Similar to the tobacco tax, need it for the money, but at the same time trying to get everyone to quit.

Will people start walking? No.

"If you drive a car, I'll tax the street,
If you take a walk, I'll tax your feet."

Jerry did say he was a Beatles fan.
swchandler

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to admit that there is some merit to a mileage tax, because it doesn't discriminate between the whole mpg thing. It's based on how much you drive and use our roads. However, if you have a vehicle that is electric, or one that gets great gas mileage, you still get to benefit on the cost of your fuel/power source, so there's still plenty of incentive involved with high mpg vehicles. Also, you have to remember that electric vehicles can save you on engine maintenance and repairs.

Lastly, it's an economical imperative to keep our roads and transportation infrastructure modern and up to demand into the future. If gasoline taxes aren't providing the needed revenue to support our needs, especially because the growing use of high mpg vehicles, a fair adjustment moving to yearly miles driven seems to balance the scales in a practical way.
mac

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Back on topic, thank god for the black women of Alabama. I think they felt the spirit of Ella Fitzgerald: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=LjU8pkBv2OU
techno900

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

swchandler said:
Quote:
I have to admit that there is some merit to a mileage tax, because it doesn't discriminate between the whole mpg thing. It's based on how much you drive and use our roads.

And how do you think this will be managed? Every car's odometer linked to the IRS? All drivers are on the honor system to report their mileage on their tax form? Car inspections record mileage during the previous year and at submitted to the government? Something like 11 states don't have any required inspections. No fraud potential here?

I am sure that it all could be worked out, but at what cost?
MalibuGuru

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mac wrote:
Back on topic, thank god for the black women of Alabama. I think they felt the spirit of Ella Fitzgerald: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=LjU8pkBv2OU

They felt the spirit of Soros indoctrination.
real-human

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MalibuGuru wrote:
mac wrote:

for ever sorros the dems have the right wwing has 10-100 much more aggressive and richer waco.

Koch brothers make sorros seem poor and not in the political arena. Olin Foundation, coors, Hunt brothers, amway , rev moonies, Mercers, amways and kids, trust fund kid Ruppy Murdoch, walmart trust fund kids and on and on. add in all oil companies, chemical, banking, insurance, medical, pharma, military, defense contractors, and on and on... and new to it the richest man in the world with a country of soldiers literally and figuratively Putin.

Last edited by real-human on Fri Dec 15, 2017 5:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
mac

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MalibuGuru wrote:
mac wrote:

Thanks for letting me know that they didn't realize the the judge was a pervert as well as a lunatic. I'm sure they also didn't notice Alabama Republicans making it difficult for black folks to vote and re-segregating the schools.

Ella. Simply the best.
swchandler

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2017 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"And how do you think this will be managed? Every car's odometer linked to the IRS? All drivers are on the honor system to report their mileage on their tax form? Car inspections record mileage during the previous year and at submitted to the government? Something like 11 states don't have any required inspections. No fraud potential here?

I am sure that it all could be worked out, but at what cost?"

One important thing that you'll want to remember is this issue is a California state thing, and not a federal proposal that I know of. Even if California was to change from a gas tax to a mileage tax, the price of gas would still include the federal gas tax, and it just may include local county or city taxes too.

The question of how the state would collect a mileage tax is unclear at this point. It could be suggested that you drive to a certified smog testing station each year, and have them certify your mileage to the state in a manner similar to the required bi-annual smog check for all vehicles older than 5 years. Also, just like they charge you a yearly fee for vehicle registration, they could charge you for the miles you've driven over the last year.

I should emphasize that I'm not an advocate for a mileage tax, but I do recognize that it could become a reality some time into the future. I wouldn't be surprised to see the issue on the ballot in some future election.

Lastly, California has always been a leader in many ways. One excellent example was auto emissions control. Just think how many jobs have been created worldwide in the push to clean our air. California started it all.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Politics, Off-Topic, Opinions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 25, 26, 27  Next
Page 26 of 27

Jump to: