myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Footstrap Positions
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9, 10, 11  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PeconicPuffin

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bred2shred wrote:

One of the keys to gybing successfully is to enter the turn at top speed, fully powered up. This can only be achieved with the straps in an outboard position. Also, having the straps (and consequently your foot) out on the rail gives more control over the pitch of the board as you carve through the turn.

"Only"? Maybe if you're sailing a 9 meter sail. But otherwise no, not at all.

Here's a clip of me sailing with straps inside. Am I sailing slowly? Do I fail to jibe successfully?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a7Nlr-Ej92E

The OP wrote "I am asking what approach to the footstraps is going to promote and accelerate my general progress. " The answer is inside, because the sailor will have more control over the board.

The footstrap tradeoff is a question of control vs top speed and upwind potential. Being able to access the speed and upwind advantages requires quite a bit of skill. Why make the board harder to sail and jibe for someone who is still developing his planing and jibing skills?

Mamero, if you're at all in doubt about where to set your straps, then use your screwdriver and give both positions some time. Because you're light you can skip the "forward" positions and take advantage of the slight speed increase of having the straps back. Try both Back/inside and Back/outside, if you must. My recommendation is back/inside, until you're planing through half of your jibes.

Watch the video. That's straps inside (and I've been sailing 25 years...I like the control. I only sail straps outside for sails 7.5 and up.)

swchandler

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your older board is no where close to being 114 liters, and it is significantly narrower. I have to ask, when was the last time you rigged and sailed a 7.5 on it?

Needless to say, I'm with bred2shred's comments, especially in light of the conditions that mamero is targeting the Futura for. For the best trim and jibing control of the Futura, you want to be in the more outboard straps. Also, you have to remember that mamero does have a smaller three strap 90+ liter FSW board for higher B&J wind conditions.
NOVAAN

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yikes!!! So much difference of opinion on such a simple thing. Its really not that hard...One more thought . On a narrow board the inside position is closer to the rail than you think on the back straps...
westender

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Change the straps on one side of the board. With each lap you can compare the result.
PeconicPuffin

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

swchandler wrote:
Your older board is no where close to being 114 liters, and it is significantly narrower. I have to ask, when was the last time you rigged and sailed a 7.5 on it?

The board I'm jibing in my avatar photo is 110 liters, 70 cm wide. The straps are inside. And I do sail it with a 7.5...last time was in August (the sail in the photo is a 6.2).

Also, see my quote "I only sail straps outside for sails 7.5 and up." That's when I'm sailing at a flatwater resort (Bonaire, Aruba).

PeconicPuffin

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

westender wrote:
Change the straps on one side of the board. With each lap you can compare the result.

That's a hell of an idea...Nice! Caveat: The outside straps would benefit from a slightly larger fin. Fins can be swapped faster than straps. I like this.

isobars

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NOVAAN wrote:
On a narrow board the inside position is closer to the rail than you think on the back straps...

Very noticeable when getting into the back strap in heavy chop, not noticeable once that back foot is centered between the rails. My size 13s almost span many or most of my boards. A little heel pressure and they slash upwind, toe pressure => downwind.
westender

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For now, I would worry more about figuring out your strap fit adjustments. I avoid having my screws too close together wedging in the sides of my feet.
swchandler

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, are walking back from your earlier video? If not, you should be.

Regarding your board in your avatar, you might want to revisit the outboard straps for any of the sails that you use on it. On every board that I've ever owned, I've always used the most outboard strap positions, and there's never been any kind of control problem, even in the roughest open ocean conditions. However, to be honest, most of my boards don't have any real choice of footstrap positions, and they don't have footpads either because I feel that I have greater control over the board without them. Only my high wind boards have footpads, and they're only thin single density pads, but I could easily do without them.

I have to admit to having fairly small feet, so I find that the inboard straps on my only wide board with a front footstrap choice (a 61cm Freeride design) didn't offer much control over board trim and direction. When I picked up the board, Zajicek had located the front straps in the inboard position, so that was my first experience on it. I found that I didn't like it at all, and immediately moved the straps to the most outboard position. The difference was night and day, and a significant improvement overall.

In my view, production boards offer too many footstrap choices. I think folks would benefit from having less confusing choices, especially since most of the inboard choices limit board performance and stunt the rider's ability to get the most out of their investment.
PeconicPuffin

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2017 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

swchandler wrote:
So, are walking back from your earlier video? If not, you should be.

Not at all. I'm responding to your criticism of my post. I keep my footstraps inside on all of my boards. I plane through jibes on all of my boards. I go fast on all of my boards. Could I get a little more speed by moving the straps out? Yes I could, but at the expense of control and turnabilty and slashability that I prefer.

swchandler wrote:
Regarding your board in your avatar, you might want to revisit the outboard straps for any of the sails that you use on it.

I think not. I came to wave and swell riding after being an open water sailor with my straps outside, and learned from all the best wave and swell sailors I met to move them in. The boards are way, way more controllable and jibeable with straps inside.

swchandler wrote:
On every board that I've ever owned, I've always used the most outboard strap positions, and there's never been any kind of control problem, even in the roughest open ocean conditions. However, to be honest, most of my boards don't have any real choice of footstrap positions

So you don't really know what you're talking about.

Meanwhile the OP wrote "this is aimed more at the windsurfing instructors and coaches out there" which you are not. And "what would be the most logical place to put the straps? Should I put them in the "easy" position until I get comfortable with the board?" the answer to which is Of course he should. What he should not do is take his new board and make it as challenging to sail as possible. Progress comes in stages. Ask any windsurfing instructor. Go to any windsurfing clinic. Anyone who isn't planing through their jibes doesn't belong on a board set up for max speed unless all they want to do on that board is sail as fast as possible...and even then many of them would sail faster with the straps inside because they'd have more control.

swchandler wrote:
In my view, production boards offer too many footstrap choices. I think folks would benefit from having less confusing choices, especially since most of the inboard choices limit board performance and stunt the rider's ability to get the most out of their investment.

LOL!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9, 10, 11  Next
Page 4 of 11

Jump to: