myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Footstrap Positions
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 9, 10, 11  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
swchandler

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Once you adjust the straps to the position you want, they should be perfect for you, particularly if you sail without booties. Booties can wear over time, so sometimes some minor adjustments are necessary. However, if you expect to share the board with your wife, you're better off buying some adjustable aftermarket straps. I've always had good luck with DaKine, Chinook and Windsurfing Hawaii straps in the past.
mamero

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gregnw44 wrote:
You set them at home, or the parking lot. With experience you never need to change them much after that. I like the less bulky design.

Don't get me wrong. Other than the adjustment issue I DO like the idea of these straps. Of course I haven't sailed with them yet so we'll see. However, they're lightweight and look stylish.

The set and forget method works "in theory" however in practice it's a different story.

If you windsurf someplace where it's the same conditions all the time, and you are the only sailor, then maybe you can set and forget. However, here in the Pacific Northwest you could be sailing in 5mm booties one session and practically barefoot the next. Whenever I've had to adjust a footstrap I RARELY adjust to the exact perfect size the first time. It can take a bit of time and few attempts to find the sweet spot. Now, through in a new unfamiliar board with unfamiliar straps in to the equation and it's a whole new ballgame. I suspect I'll need to adjust the strap size frequently. First, I don't know the board or the straps. Second, even if I was familiar with the board and straps, they are new. I would imagine the foam foot pad area under the straps will pack-out. Straps get wet and stretch etc. Even with a broken-in board with broken in-straps sometimes you need to adjust straps for no other reason than sometimes things shift during a session. Also, it seems every board I've owned the footstrap screws are VERY tight and awkward. It's SO easy to accidentally strip the head of a screw or misalign the threads after just a few times... and that is only to replace straps with warm hands in the house, not to frequently adjust the strap size on the beach when you are cold. Frequently adjusting the footstrap screws is just asking for trouble. Worn screw heads, accidental stripped or worn threads in the board. Anyway...I know I'm wining but to me it's like only being able to tie your shoes at the house. If you need to retie your shoes when you're out you better hope you have a large Phillips screwdriver with you and pray it doesn't get lost.

Last edited by mamero on Thu Jan 04, 2018 4:30 pm; edited 2 times in total
mamero

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gregnw44 wrote:
BTW, knowing about this strap design would've been included in the board description, when you bought it. But I still think you have a valid concern... since they're still brand new, maybe you could trade them back to the dealer, for some adjustable designs (velcro sandwich style).

I knew about the new UltraLight straps when I ordered the board. However, I didn't know about the adjustment, or lack there of. Starboard doesn't go in to much detail about the straps on their website other than they are "new" and "save weight". From looking at the picture there are a couple Velcro strips that fold over the screws. I see NOW that their only function is to cover the screws. However, from the photo I thought those were how you adjusted the straps. I thought they were an elastic type of thing where you pull those Velcro covers to loosen or tighten, then stick the Velcro back down. I didn't even think to ask about the straps when I ordered.

I'll talk to the distributor here in Canada again. Perhaps he can work something out. Even though it was a clearance board it was still $$$$! I'd like the straps to be right for me without spending more money on another set of straps.
cgoudie1

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also ride Contours (like the Coach) and they work great in practice for me,
but I also always ride the same size booties, and I don't share my gear.

I general I'd recommend a complete set of gear for a spouse tuned to them.
That way you're both on the water quicker (together), and you're not
riding gear compromised for 2 different people.

-Craig

p.s. Dakine makes a strap with an exterior adjustment, so that you don't
have to open the strap cover up to adjust. Those would be premium for
your purpose.

mamero wrote:
gregnw44 wrote:
You set them at home, or the parking lot. With experience you never need to change them much after that. I like the less bulky design.

Don't get me wrong. Other than the adjustment issue I DO like the idea of these straps. Of course I haven't sailed with them yet so we'll see. However, they're lightweight and look stylish.

The set and forget method works "in theory" however in practice? .
Brian_S

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Despite these being the coolest straps I've owned, I hate adjusting them and always want the position between the holes.

IMG_1057.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  1.91 MB
 Viewed:  13457 Time(s)

IMG_1057.JPG

coachg

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mamero wrote:
If you windsurf someplace where it's the same conditions all the time, and you are the only sailor, then maybe you can set and forget. However, here in the Pacific Northwest you could be sailing in 5mm booties one session and practically barefoot the next. Whenever I've had to adjust a footstrap I RARELY adjust to the exact perfect size the first time. It can take a bit of time and few attempts to find the sweet spot. Now, through in a new unfamiliar board with unfamiliar straps in to the equation and it's a whole new ballgame. I suspect I'll need to adjust the strap size frequently. First, I don't know the board or the straps. Second, even if I was familiar with the board and straps, they are new. I would imagine the foam foot pad area under the straps will pack-out. Straps get wet and stretch etc. Even with a broken-in board with broken in-straps sometimes you need to adjust straps for no other reason than sometimes things shift during a session. Also, it seems every board I've owned the footstrap screws are VERY tight and awkward. It's SO easy to accidentally strip the head of a screw or misalign the threads after just a few times... and that is only to replace straps with warm hands in the house, not to frequently adjust the strap size on the beach when you are cold. Frequently adjusting the footstrap screws is just asking for trouble. Worn screw heads, accidental stripped or worn threads in the board. Anyway...I know I'm wining but to me it's like only being able to tie your shoes at the house. If you need to retie your shoes when you're out you better hope you have a large Phillips screwdriver with you and pray it doesn't get lost.

You are way overthinking this. As stated earlier. Put them up for sale & buy something you like.

Coachg
mamero

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2018 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When blasting in both footstraps is it better to have a leg stance that is slightly too wide or too narrow?

I've been doing some land drills with my new board working on my foot muscle memory; teaching them to learn where the straps are without looking. After all the previous discussion I have put the straps outboard and in the middle position. I find the rear footstraps to be on the narrow side and hard to get in/out with booties if both the front and rear screw are in the default middle spot. So, I need to widen the rear strap by ether moving the back screw backwards one or the front screw forward one. Other than the footstrap width issue, the width between front and rear straps feels pretty good as-is for my build. So, do I adjust the rear strap with a rear bias giving a slightly wider leg width stance or forward bias with a slightly narrower leg width stance ?
swchandler

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2018 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or, you can make things a bit easier by buying adjustable aftermarket footstraps.

Sure, it would cost you a bit more upfront, but I think that it would be worth it for long term easy adjustability. Over the years, I used aftermarket straps, like I mentioned in an earlier post above. All the Mike's Lab and Open Ocean boards that I've ever bought included one of the top aftermarket footstraps, and I can honestly say they are tough as nails and maintain their integrity over the long term. Moreover, they really aren't that heavy overall, and I think that you'd be challenged tell and difference wet or dry while mounted on the board.

Lastly, if you never really use the original Starboard footstraps, just think how that adds to the resale value when you move on.
cgoudie1

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2018 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is just too personal. I prefer a little narrower leg stance, but I know
a number of people who want a really wide leg stance, and we all
sail similar conditions.

Your best bet is to try it both ways and see if you have a preference.

-Craig

mamero wrote:
When blasting in both footstraps is it better to have a leg stance that is slightly too wide or too narrow?

PeconicPuffin

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2018 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mamero wrote:

All other things being equal (which they rarely are) wider gives you the potential for more control, narrower gives you the potential for more speed. But if you are not comfortable with the narrower setting you won't be able to exploit the speed potential. And to the extent that you are not smooth and dialed in with the wider stance, that extra bit of "control" will slow you down slightly.

I suggest following Craig's advice and trying both. Sail comfortably until such time as you know you want to trade control for speed (or speed for control). For myself on bigger boards I like the knife edge of narrower, in pursuit of speed. In swell, big chop and waves when there's more sailing the board on the rails I go wider.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 9, 10, 11  Next
Page 10 of 11

Jump to: