myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
EZZY top cap abnormal mast wear caused by friction

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
manuel

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 1:37 pm    Post subject: EZZY top cap abnormal mast wear caused by friction Reply with quote

I had noticed some mast had batten friction wear due to the battens rubbing but now the top of my 2016 EZZY Elite is digging into the top of the mast.
Anyone else had this issue?

nw30

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, that cap can wear a ring around the top, one fix is to file/sand down the inside edge of the cap so it's not such a corner wearing against the mast. Also make sure the cap is centered on the top of the mast, sometimes that top strap can become stiff, and will keep the cap at an offset angle which will add to the wear.
Another issue can be if the top strap is tightened all the way down, that alone can keep the cap at an angle, not good. So rigging the sail one more notch lower on the base extension will force you to add a bit to the top strap, which will in turn help keep the top cap centered.

manuel

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the feedback... problematic design then? I have stopped rotating my masts and use them the way they naturally curve so I don't have a ring but a one-sided gouge.

I did release 2cms off the top after I got it, the wear must have happened before then or with a previous sail (bought it all together). Then recalibrated the gauge so that Medium matches the 3 dots on the leech. I did this so that I could use the bottom extension ring at 8cm instead of the recommended 6 which cannot be achieved with a skinny Chinook extension (but with a Streamlined yes or Severne I think... anyway).

So maybe I killed two birds?

NOVAAN

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use one layer for tape at the tip of the mast. Its needs to be replaced often as soon as it wears. Use to much and the mast can get stuck in the mast cap. make sure the mast cap is free of sand and dirt. I have a 10 year old mast that shows its use but no read deep wear....
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: