myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Install cam zippers?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ugly_Bird

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 9:09 am    Post subject: Install cam zippers? Reply with quote

\m/ ! Smile

Just curious if anyone tried to install zippers or velcros on the luff of a cambered sail? Some of them already have those and some don't. They are super useful for easy access during cam repairs. Would it be silly to attempt such upgrade? If not, what type of zippers could be used for the purpose? Or what type of velcros (like those Ezzy uses)?
The one I'd like to modify is Naish Indy. Last year I repaired (replaced) the bottom cam support. And it was PITA to get and use the riveting tool inside the luff through the boom opening.
Thanks!

Andrei.
cgoudie1

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 12:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Install cam zippers? Reply with quote

Cams... they're a little like centerboards.... ;*)

Seriously though, I had a couple of Race sails with multiple cams
and they had plastic zippers on the sleeve at all the cam locations.
Because of how wonderfully they functioned, and how easily broken
they were, I'd recommend Velcro, but it sort of depends on how much
tension is on the opening seam when the sail is rigged as to what you
can get away with. The stitching will also need to be pretty gnarly.

-Craig

Ugly_Bird wrote:
\m/ ! Smile

Just curious if anyone tried to install zippers or velcros on the luff of a cambered sail? Some of them already have those and some don't. They are super useful for easy access during cam repairs. Would it be silly to attempt such upgrade? If not, what type of zippers could be used for the purpose? Or what type of velcros (like those Ezzy uses)?
The one I'd like to modify is Naish Indy. Last year I repaired (replaced) the bottom cam support. And it was PITA to get and use the riveting tool inside the luff through the boom opening.
Thanks!

Andrei.
rswabsin

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Back in the 90's, Northwave had a line of single-cam sails called tri-lights that had a heavy plastic zipper pocket on the side of the mast sleeve at the cam. Very effective for accessing the cam and enable the cam to be removed for wave sailing. Sailed a quiver of these for 10+ years and never had a problem with the zipper pocket - just had to be sure you zipped it close first before downhauling. Brilliant sails.

Rob
gregnw44

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All camber induced sails, should have zippers at each cam.

The main reason is, rigging is so much faster!! And there's no stress on the luff sleeve, while rigging or de-rigging.

Sail brands have gone back and forth about putting zips in their cammed sails since the 80's.

I can rig a 3 cam free-ride sail WAY faster than a RAF sail (if there are zips at the cam locations). And "that sail" will last much longer cause you don't crinkle the sail material, installing or removing the mast. (Always leave the zips open while rigging / de-rigging.)

And yes, as stated... if you have to do any messing around with repair of cams... it's easier if the sail has zippers. Anyway, I've never had to do that... and I've had cammed sails with zips since the late 80's.

Regarding adding zips to sails... it looks easy to me. Just look carefully at basic recreational cammed sails from any decade. The zipper is about the same on all of them.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: